Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Garbled audio in game using Ubuntu
german Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Garbled audio in game using Ubuntu

Hi all,

I just bought the collection, and graphically it's fantastic (fantastically terrifying, anyway). When I'm playing though, about 80% of the time, the audio will go into "aphex twin" mode, and basically sound like electro-static garbage. I played the demos before buying and it didn't happen, so I'm not sure if something has changed or been patched, but I couldn't find any suggestions for this problem on the forums. I know Ubuntu uses PulseAudio and OpenAL doesn't like PA (or vice versa, whatever), but I haven't been able to find a configuration of ~/.alsoftrc that makes it better. FWIW, I'm using an old SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1 and this is the only thing that does this with audio (I think it's also the only OpenAL app I have).

Has anybody had any luck making sound work with Ubuntu and the Penumbra series?

TIA
10-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Find
german Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Garbled audio in game using Ubuntu

K, I upped the audio buffers for PA and openal-soft, and that seems to have made it somewhat better (as in, it still happens, but it goes away after a while instead of getting louder). Anybody else having this problem might benefit from setting default-fragments in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf (I changed mine from 8 to 16), and refresh in /etc/openal/alsoft.conf (I changed mine from 4096 to 8192).
10-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Find