Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Looking for help
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
RE: Looking for help

Guy, look. I don't want to be a total antagonist here so... let me explain some stuff...

Many developers are jumping too quickly into spending their money. Whether it's on the software they don't, yet, understand or a simple asset.

Your argument with everyone being happy sounds great on the paper, but the reality is that the community would be equally as happy with an original story and no new monster or perhaps a free model of a minotaur (I think I saw it somewhere and the right to use specifies: Educational and/or game mods).

It needs new sounds, is he going to pay for voice actors?

But the worse thing is... Many people in Amnesia community aim too high, I've been guilty of that myself. They see all those great people, making great mods and they think they can do the same.

But let's be honest.. On ModDB there are 320 mods unreleased, many of them just died out.
Now ask yourself, how many custom monsters never saw a light of day?
Is the community Happy Happy Happy for those mods? No... They never made it.

My point is being that he should buy something only when he's done making everything else. Because if he buys the model and gives up... it's going hurt much more.
08-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Those mods have nothing to do with this topic, mods die out, that's how it works.

If the developer wants custom shit and is willing to pay for it, then so be it? You are asuming that they want to make profit from it.

I can tell ya right now that the mod I'm currently being paid to make a custom monster for is not looking to make profit, the guy wanted a custom monster for his story and I was able provide, I am doing it for an underpaid price but both of us are still happy.

And once again, if the mod dies, it doesn't hurt anyone but the developer of the mod, and if it dies, it is completely because of the developer himself.

Decide what you do with your own money, leave others to decide for themself.

I agree, don't do this stuff if you don't have a budget for it, but if you do? Why the hell not.
08-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

I get what you mean. However he might not realize that he actually doesn't need the model right away. My whole point is just to make him think about it, before investing.

To be honest, I don't care the slightest what you are paid for and I wouldn't care even if you were overpaid. I'm just saying that putting money into something is a real thing and shouldn't be taken lightly. There are other options and if my argument makes the author think for a second, even if he decides to still buy the model, I achieved what I wanted.
08-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(08-14-2015, 10:27 PM)Amnesiaplayer Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 01:29 PM)Spelos Wrote: I don't want to offend anyone, but if you're making a free full conversion mod for Amnesia, it's total nonsense to put money into it. You won't get it back. Yes, someone like Traggey latch onto this opportunity, because why not?

But either make a full original game and actually make your investments come back or go with what you can do. You don't need a new monster for your story to be truly scary. You're throwing money the wrong way... but that's just my opinion.

You are so true.
It's a custom story, you don't earn anything of it.
I mean, I got some CRAZY idea's but am not able to do it in hpl2 engine, unless I pay and get someone make me models, which is already not "That"good graphics since hpl2 isn't the newest.
It's better to make a custom story without spending money, and THEN get to some real engines. like Unreal engine.
I can see my self creating my own game, but I can't see my self making those high graphic models lol.

But after all, it's not me, or you that is losing the money.
and btw, animating isn't that difficult (what I heard) you can learn it quick lol.

But it's none of your buisness on what someone wants to do with his own money! If he has the [Image: Green%20dollar.png] and wants to purchase a custom asset for his own purposes it is only HIS decision. It's so silly to just step into someone's life and tell him what's good and what's bad. Take care of yourself and let everyone else decide about their own stuff.
08-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

You can recommend someone to not spend their money somewhere where putting it may be unwise. However at the end of the day, it is their money and up to them where they want to put it.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

(08-15-2015, 12:15 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: You can recommend someone to not spend their money somewhere where putting it may be unwise. However at the end of the day, it is their money and up to them where they want to put it.

And that's my point. I'm not trying to forbid the guy from buying stuff... I'm just trying to make him think about it before he does it. I don't care what he does with his money, it's his own decision, but a friendly advice to think about stuff couldn't hurt him... Well although it might hurt the people who tries to sell him the model, because he might loose a customer.

((I think I am overreacting right now! I truly am... But keep in mind that all I ever wanted was to give a friendly advice to think twice before doing it. It didn't have to spiral out of control if certain people including me didn't overreact.))
08-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I think we can all agree about the conclusion we've come to by now. I agree with both sides, and I don't think there's much more to add to this conversation, so I'm just gonna say:

Spend your money wisely if you really care about it. Spending money on something like this won't profit you if you're not experienced with how these things work, but profit is subjective. Profit isn't always getting money back, but rather getting a product you're happy with. If you're happy getting a quality model, then WHOOP! Profit!
However, if you ask to get a model for free and that model is never used, you'll likely disappoint the modeler for wasting their time and effort.

So tl;dr, here are your options:
- Pay for it, and you can do whatever. If you end up not releasing it, that's on you.
- Don't pay for it and you might feel guilty for wasting the modelers time, should the model not be used. They probably won't work with you again. However, if it IS used, the modeler might accept the reputation as their reward, and be happy.

Friendly advice should make sure one's aware of the pros and cons, but not make the decision for them. (Not saying that's the case here, but just pointing it out)

Edit: As Daemian points out below, I too think it was just fine for Spelos to point it out. The convo just shifted somewhere it didn't need to.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2015, 03:35 PM by Mudbill.)
08-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Ok, we're all correct and in my opinion it was perfectly fine for Spelos to point that out to the buyer, let's move on bros.

Any chance I get to see that monster you have Robos? :>

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2015, 03:26 PM by Daemian.)
08-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Find