Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Free Game Released by Penumbra's Writer & Composer: ir/rational
TJJ Offline

Threads: 3
Free Game Released by Penumbra's Writer & Composer: ir/rational

Hi all,

I'm very pleased to be able to announce the release of ir/rational, a free, half hour, text-based logic game.

The game was 'officially' announced (as official as you can get for a short indie game) on the Gamespot UK Podcast yesterday. You can hit that up for a good chunk of me discussing Penumbra, my new projects, and games writing in general.

I hope that if you enjoyed the dark humour, and philosophical aspects of Penumbra then you might enjoy the style and challenge of this game. As a point of reference, the central gameplay mechanic here is actually something I pitched for inclusion in the original Overture, but never quite made the cut.

You can find out more, and download the game at www.tomjubert.com/irrational

You may even recognise a few of this forum's regulars appearing in the testing credits.

Hope you enjoy it,

TJ

PS Any feedback etc please feel free to post here!
11-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Free Game Released by Penumbra's Writer & Composer: ir/rational

Oh, so a similar concept was supposed to be in Overture? I don't know what you had in mind, but I can totally see that working. For example Philip having to make a logical argument why to keep going into the mine in that text-screen right after you fall down, something like "If I want to find my father then I should keep searching, I want to find my father therefore I should keep searching" etc.
Also you didn't have to put my actual surname within quotation marks Wink But it doesn't matter really.

Excellent red dot placement by the way. The music was funky, too.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
11-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Find
TJJ Offline

Threads: 3

It was never really 'supposed to be in'... it was just a small gameplay mechanic I suggested late in development. It was interesting, but we never followed it through - hence ir/rational.

But yes, the idea would have been to better connect the player with Philip's reasoning.

Oh, LOL, thought it was a nickname!
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(11-20-2009, 06:00 PM)TJJ Wrote: It was never really 'supposed to be in'... it was just a small gameplay mechanic I suggested late in development. It was interesting, but we never followed it through - hence ir/rational.

But yes, the idea would have been to better connect the player with Philip's reasoning.

Oh, LOL, thought it was a nickname!

That's what the M in PM stands for Tongue
Anyways, yeah I did realize it just was a suggested mechanic.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
11-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Find