Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ask Anything About SOMA
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Ask Anything About SOMA

I don't know if you're still doing answers since it's the weekend, but here's a few questions:
1) I saw some computer-accessing sequences in one of the trailers. Are those pre-canned animations or can we program in our own little computer sections?

2) how similar is the engine to HPL2? Will it be possible to import Amnesia assets into it, the way people have done with penumbra assets? Furthermore, will doing so be allowed/legal, assuming the person owns both games? I ask because I'm 80% done with my next CS and am debating scrapping it and moving to the Soma engine for it, but I'd need to be able to use some Amnesia assets.

3) Can we re-bind keys to script functions? such as making WSAD correspond to an object moving around. I know that may not make sense so I'll give an example. I wanted to do a sequence in my last custom story where you were weightless and pressing Space would apply body force to your body in the direction you were pointing.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
09-20-2015, 01:15 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

I can tell you that questions 2 and 3 above me have been answered, and yes, you can.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-20-2015, 01:39 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

(09-20-2015, 01:39 AM)Romulator Wrote: I can tell you that questions 2 and 3 above me have been answered, and yes, you can.

Cool, thanks.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
09-20-2015, 01:42 AM
Find
private23 Offline

Threads: 0

(09-19-2015, 09:16 PM)Thomas Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 08:43 PM)private23 Wrote: Please devs, answer my question about jump scares. I really need to know answer. Please thanks. Two times my thread removed without answer. Sad
It depends on what you consider a jumpscare. A sudden loud noise? A creature sneaking up from behind without you noticing until it is too late? Because the game will have these, and many times it comes from the dynamics of creature AI and are thus different from player to player. It is honestly is really hard to answer as it depends on where you draw the line for "jump scares".

What I can say though is that the game around these and they are not our main source of horror. SOMA is slow burning and more psychological, at least that is our intention. We want to get away from the more simplistic scares and try something goes a bit deeper.

Sorry for being so vague. Hope it still answers your question somewhat Smile

Thank you sir. At least good know there's nothing intentionally designed as a jump scare. That's enough for me.
09-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

(09-20-2015, 01:15 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: 1) I saw some computer-accessing sequences in one of the trailers. Are those pre-canned animations or can we program in our own little computer sections?
Those are made with a really cool GUI system that we have. You can make an in-game arcade game if you want to Smile
09-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

(09-20-2015, 09:40 AM)Thomas Wrote:
(09-20-2015, 01:15 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: 1) I saw some computer-accessing sequences in one of the trailers. Are those pre-canned animations or can we program in our own little computer sections?
Those are made with a really cool GUI system that we have. You can make an in-game arcade game if you want to Smile

You do not realize how happy this makes me feel...
P.S: Póg Mo Thóin means 'kiss me arse' in Irish...
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2015, 09:51 AM by A.M Team.)
09-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Find
Aifa Offline

(09-20-2015, 09:40 AM)Thomas Wrote: Those are made with a really cool GUI system that we have. You can make an in-game arcade game if you want to Smile
Now that is awesome. Definitely hope someone will make an in-game arcade.
Pacman in soma anyone?
09-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Thomas, I'm curious as to what your role on SOMA is. I know you sort of "lead" the project, but are there some things you contributed specifically to SOMA which you are particularly are proud of? That is, what you can reveal without too much or many spoilers, of course.

And other FG members, feel free to answer as well for your personal opinion on a contribution you made Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

(09-20-2015, 09:50 AM)Romulator Wrote: Thomas, I'm curious as to what your role on SOMA is. I know you sort of "lead" the project, but are there some things you contributed specifically to SOMA which you are particularly are proud of? That is, what you can reveal without too much or many spoilers, of course.

And other FG members, feel free to answer as well for your personal opinion on a contribution you made Smile
In this blogpost Thomas once posted a weekly schedule for most of the team which might answer your question a bit.
09-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Find
baum13 Offline

I'm curious about the following:
  1. How will notes work now? I saw they all were handwritten, so is this part of the GUI system mentioned previously? Can we create our own notes like those?
  2. Is it possible to bring back the journal from Amnesia to SOMA with script?
  3. Will the game run on Windows 7 32-bit (I have 3GB RAM) with the Steam version?
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015, 12:48 AM by baum13.)
09-20-2015, 10:59 PM
Find