Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Depth Was A Hoax
ArioDargeto Offline

Threads: 7
Exclamation  Depth Was A Hoax

DEPTH WAS A HOAX

According to FrictionalGames dev Thomas, there really is no "film companion" in production for SOMA. He went on to say that people should take what they hear on the internet with a grain of salt.

Here is a link to Thomas' "ask me anything" here on the forums: Link
09-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Depth Was A Hoax

Eh, it exists to some extent.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

This forum is dead
09-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

"It's Official, You CAN'T Die!" --> "It's Official, Polygon Is Full Of Crap!"

"Depth Was A Hoax" --> __________________________

In the same thread, Thomas also said this:

(09-17-2015, 07:23 PM)Thomas Wrote:
(09-17-2015, 07:06 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: About Depth
- Will the film be released along with the game on the 22nd?
- Will there be a theatrical showing of the film, as suggested by the technical specifications on IMDb?
- Any plans for DVD/Blu-ray releases of the films?

- No.
- Might be.
- No plans from our end.

Therefore, Thomas did not deny the existence of the film. He said that FG never made any announcement of a companion film (which is correct -- it doesn't mean the film won't be released at a later time).

Does this look like a hoax to you? A very expensive and laborious hoax I would say.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2015, 03:43 PM by Ashtoreth.)
09-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Please stop with this click-bait stuff when you are grasping on straws of information? It's harshing my flow as the cool kids would say...
09-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

(09-19-2015, 03:43 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: "It's Official, You CAN'T Die!" --> "It's Official, Polygon Is Full Of Crap!"

- Will there be a theatrical showing of the film, as suggested by the technical specifications on IMDb?

- No.
- Might be.
- No plans from our end.

Therefore, Thomas did not deny the existence of the film. He said that FG never made any announcement of a companion film (which is correct -- it doesn't mean the film won't be released at a later time).

Does this look like a hoax to you? A very expensive and laborious hoax I would say.

Agree with the above, as it was my question he was responding too....and yes, No announcement was made officially.... i won't dispute that.

But Thomas was coy and cute about his response.... I mean, i get it and understand if he can't say anything..... but say so if that's the case. I'm not an idiot. The films were what led me to the game and i love Frictional's games.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2015, 12:06 AM by Noisecode.)
09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Find
Filizitas Offline

It would be ashame O.o depth has such a great chance right know these days!
09-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Find
ArioDargeto Offline

(09-20-2015, 12:05 AM)Noisecode Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 03:43 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: "It's Official, You CAN'T Die!" --> "It's Official, Polygon Is Full Of Crap!"

- No.
- Might be.
- No plans from our end.

Agree with the above, as it was my question he was responding too....and yes, No announcement was made officially.... i won't dispute that.

But Thomas was coy and cute about his response.... I mean, i get it and understand if he can't say anything..... but say so if that's the case. I'm not an idiot. The films were what led me to the game and i love Frictional's games.

That was all for the promotional videos, it is not an actual film project, that was a rumor started by commenters on youtube.

Simon: "Are... Are you human...?"
Mockingbird: "Did my body give it away?" CLANK CLANK
09-21-2015, 03:42 AM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

Quote:That was all for the promotional videos, it is not an actual film project, that was a rumor started by commenters on youtube.

Yeah I'm sorry but I disagree....there is an awful lot of behind the scenes photos for it to just be a hoax.

Because of this.....

behind the scene pics of Depth

But also.....there is this ...

Spoiler below!

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/4aN52psDOXU[/video]

That's Imogen Reed from Mockingbird and Vivarium (the voice on the radio at the end, presumably Golaski, calls her such) , albiet with shorter hair and probably moments away from finally snapping under the strain.

So I hate to take the wind out of your sails, but Depth was / is most certainly a real thing. Whether or not the project ever gets finished and released, well that could be debated. But it is for real.

My guess is that because Depth is being produced by Imagos films and not Frictional games , Thomas can't (or is not allowed) to say when Depth will be released OR Depth's nature as a prequel might give too much of the game's storyline away.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015, 05:20 AM by Noisecode.)
09-21-2015, 04:24 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-21-2015, 03:42 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: That was all for the promotional videos, it is not an actual film project, that was a rumor started by commenters on youtube.

I'm sorry but... what?!?

I really hope you're just trolling us, but in case you're not, here goes.

Were the YouTube commenters responsible for creating Depth's IMDb page? Did they create and publish the casting call for the film? Were they the ones who went to Crypticon Seattle on the 24th of May 2014 to discuss "DEPTH, an upcoming trans-media feature film collaboration with Frictional Games set in the universe of Frictional‘s highly anticipated sci-fi survival horror game SOMA"?

I was keeping away from the forums to avoid potential spoilers about SOMA but I bookmarked the threads about the films, and as someone who has followed the development of Depth for over a year, after reading your post I really felt the urge to provide some facts.

At this point, I think we can all agree that it's acceptable to speculate whether or not Depth is going to be released, especially considering Thomas' vague/cryptic replies about it during the Q&A, and the fact that there hasn't been any new posts on the social media about #projectapophis in the last 3 months or so.
So, yes, something might have gone terribly wrong and the film might end up not being released; who knows? Even bigger projects get cancelled near release sometimes.

But to call it a hoax is simply disrespectful towards the production company, the actors and everyone else involved.

If by "promotional videos", you're referring exclusively to Vivarium and Mockingbird, these two shorts were filmed over the course of only 9 days (18 September 2013 - 27 September 2013) and released respectively on the 1st and 7th of October 2013. "Vivarium" was codenamed #dupersecretproject and you can see photos from the set here. "Mockingbird" was codenamed #fupersecretproject and you can see photos from the set here.

Thomas Grip has also mentioned how fast the process went in one of his blog posts:

Thomas Grip Wrote:It has to be mentioned how quickly these films were put together. The first script drafts + instructions were sent on the 2nd of september. This meant they had a less than a month to produce the first movie. Then another movie needed to be done a week after that. Given the amount steps needed to go from script to final film, this is insanely fast.

This was 7 months before the first information about #projectapophis (the codename/hashtag for Depth) started to surface on the social media.

So, the question is:

- Why would Imagos Films need about 1 year to film and produce Depth, if they managed to film, produce and release Vivarium and Mockingbird in such a short period of time?

Now, if by "promotional videos" you're also including the short clips that were released during the ARG in May 2015 ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5]), the questions are:

- (Again) Why would Imagos Films need 1 year to film and produce these?

- Where are all the other actors that appeared in the behind the scenes photos? (Brian Lewis, Scott C. Brown, Mahria Zook, Adrian DiGiovanni, Moses Olson, Wonder Russell, Tabitha Bastien)

- Why was there a script if it was all a hoax?

[Image: 914389_318658028291447_52163590_n.jpg]

09-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Find