Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Depth Was A Hoax
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Depth Was A Hoax

(09-21-2015, 10:08 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 03:42 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: That was all for the promotional videos, it is not an actual film project, that was a rumor started by commenters on youtube.

I'm sorry but... what?!?

I really hope you're just trolling us, but in case you're not, here goes.

Were the YouTube commenters responsible for creating Depth's IMDb page? Did they create and publish the casting call for the film? Were they the ones who went to Crypticon Seattle on the 24th of May 2014 to discuss "DEPTH, an upcoming trans-media feature film collaboration with Frictional Games set in the universe of Frictional‘s highly anticipated sci-fi survival horror game SOMA"?

I was keeping away from the forums to avoid potential spoilers about SOMA but I bookmarked the threads about the films, and as someone who has followed the development of Depth for over a year, after reading your post I really felt the urge to provide some facts.

At this point, I think we can all agree that it's acceptable to speculate whether or not Depth is going to be released, especially considering Thomas' vague/cryptic replies about it during the Q&A, and the fact that there hasn't been any new posts on the social media about #projectapophis in the last 3 months or so.
So, yes, something might have gone terribly wrong and the film might end up not being released; who knows? Even bigger projects get cancelled near release sometimes.

But to call it a hoax is simply disrespectful towards the production company, the actors and everyone else involved.

If by "promotional videos", you're referring exclusively to Vivarium and Mockingbird, these two shorts were filmed over the course of only 9 days (18 September 2013 - 27 September 2013) and released respectively on the 1st and 7th of October 2013. "Vivarium" was codenamed #dupersecretproject and you can see photos from the set here. "Mockingbird" was codenamed #fupersecretproject and you can see photos from the set here.

Thomas Grip has also mentioned how fast the process went in one of his blog posts:

Thomas Grip Wrote:It has to be mentioned how quickly these films were put together. The first script drafts + instructions were sent on the 2nd of september. This meant they had a less than a month to produce the first movie. Then another movie needed to be done a week after that. Given the amount steps needed to go from script to final film, this is insanely fast.

This was 7 months before the first information about #projectapophis (the codename/hashtag for Depth) started to surface on the social media.

So, the question is:

- Why would Imagos Films need about 1 year to film and produce Depth, if they managed to film, produce and release Vivarium and Mockingbird in such a short period of time?

Now, if by "promotional videos" you're also including the short clips that were released during the ARG in May 2015 ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5]), the questions are:

- (Again) Why would Imagos Films need 1 year to film and produce these?

- Where are all the other actors that appeared in the behind the scenes photos? (Brian Lewis, Scott C. Brown, Mahria Zook, Adrian DiGiovanni, Moses Olson, Wonder Russell, Tabitha Bastien)

- Why was there a script if it was all a hoax?

[Image: 914389_318658028291447_52163590_n.jpg]

I'm dying to know what the 411 is on the film.

I didn't see those two other clips.... Looks like Golaski meets with a gruesome end possibly.

See..... The scene with Reed and the whales looks green screened, which to me says that Depth has finished post production. Don't they add in sound effects and green screen effects in post production?

Someone should call that number on the script and be like "HEY!!!! WHERES THE GODAMNED FILM?!? I mean......hey.....what's the release date?"

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015, 11:08 AM by Noisecode.)
09-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7

Its actually playing before the comet hits earth and i think simon doesnt exist in the script :o

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
09-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

I don't think it's before the "Comet", but I'm pretty sure you're right about there being no Simon.

Who knows, until it's out.
09-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7

If i had some money left i would totaly donate depth some!

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
09-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

PLEASE! USE SPOILER TAGS! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, SPOILER TAGS!
09-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

Well, I guess word travels fast......the Soma Wiki site now lists Depth as being confirmed as a Hoax, even though all Thomas Grip said was that Frictional made no announcement of a companion film, which is accurate . That does not mean the film project was a 'hoax' however.

I don't remember that logo for Depth being on the wiki page...very odd.

I Still don't believe it.... Waaaaaaay too elaborate to be a hoax and the clips were not advertised enough to be promotional. I'm very excited for Soma, and will be standing by on steam for when it unlocks at 3 in the a.m. so i can play it after following development for over a year but........

....I shall be very disappointed if Depth does not get released or has been canceled, as i was looking forward to learning more about the world of Soma.

Give us something Thomas Grip........ please can you tell us anything on the status of the film project called Depth?

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015, 11:54 PM by Noisecode.)
09-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

May be it was just a part of very long running ARG keke

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-22-2015, 01:11 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

A possibility has just occurred to me.

This is only a guess, but it might be a spoiler for some (or a "surprise ruiner" if it ends up being correct), so click at your own risk.

Spoiler below!
I noticed that there's a "super secret file" (_supersecret.rar) and it's quite large comparing to FG's previous super secret files (773 MB).

Maybe it's Depth?

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015, 10:09 AM by Ashtoreth.)
09-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

(09-22-2015, 10:09 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: A possibility has just occurred to me.

This is only a guess, but it might be a spoiler for some (or a "surprise ruiner" if it ends up being correct), so click at your own risk.

Spoiler below!
I noticed that there's a "super secret file" (_supersecret.rar) and it's quite large comparing to FG's previous super secret files (773 MB).

Maybe it's Depth?

Spoiler below!
That is actually an amazing idea. The file size is pretty much a standard video file size (for a movie at 640X480).

Great theory
09-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Find
Darth Biomech Offline

Threads: 0

(09-19-2015, 02:41 PM)ArioDargeto Wrote:
DEPTH WAS A HOAX

According to FrictionalGames dev Thomas, there really is no "film companion" in production for SOMA. He went on to say that people should take what they hear on the internet with a grain of salt.

Here is a link to Thomas' "ask me anything" here on the forums: Link

This is a really cruel hoax. I was looking forward for this film(
As for grains of salt, what does this world come to, if even developers themselves go to such lengths to deceive their own fans? All these movie pieces and behind-the-scenes photos?
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM by Darth Biomech.)
09-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Find