Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games
Lazoriss Offline

Threads: 2
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games

Frictional would certainly still be an indie company. More employees also means those same employees need to be payed, and they're not large enough of a company to focus on more than one project at a time. That puts a lot of pressure on them, because one flop of a game could seriously cripple them financially. SOMA took around five years to develop (maybe longer). That's a lot of time and money. For the record, Indie doesn't equal BAD. It's mostly related to resources. Many of my favorite games are by indie developers.

Monstrum is an indie game. But it's also very short, and the entire game revolves around the monster mechanics. There's no depth or story, just a fun, scary romp on an abandoned freight ship. It was also clever of the creator to randomize the map and creatures, increasing its replay value. Frictional would have to create this intricate sequence on top of the rest of the game.

I guess it depends on whatever project Frictional decides to work on next. SOMA had a very serious tone that focused on character, morality, and means of existence. There was a lot of heavy stuff, and even with a fantastic monster, it still might have distracted from that focus.
From what I've heard. there was considerable expectations from the fanbase for SOMA to be scary. I also know a lot of pieces of the game didn't even make it to the final product. How many hours and dollars worth, I don't know. But a lot of assets ended up being redone or retconned. This brings things back to how this IS an indie company. If they had the money and manpower, they could have had separate games. But Amnesia (and Penumbra) has given them these certain expectations, and a label as a horror game creator. This was brought up in Yahtzee's review of the game. It was like they were trying to mash two games together so they could please their audience, and still tell the story they wanted.
01-15-2016, 03:09 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(01-15-2016, 03:09 AM)Lazoriss Wrote: [A lot.]

While I don't agree with Yahtzee, the beginning of the game was from the FIRST premise of the game - one that they scrapped. That game seemed to be about a man taking a scan, and then he's pulled into some kind of HR Giger parallel dimension. It features a zombie Munshi, and a demon Munshi, and mysterious men is space/diving suits. It feels like we missed a whole game there. ...or even TWO, considering the first trailer of SOMA being set in medieval times. It wasn't nearly as polished as the released SOMA, but I would have liked to play it.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

01-15-2016, 03:36 AM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

(01-15-2016, 03:36 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(01-15-2016, 03:09 AM)Lazoriss Wrote: [A lot.]
he's pulled into some kind of HR Giger parallel dimension.

That's another thing that disappointed me about SOMA, HR Giger influence was almost gone from what we saw in trailers, I know things change during production but they had a thing going with the Giger stuff but decided against it.
01-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(01-15-2016, 11:17 AM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: That's another thing that disappointed me about SOMA, HR Giger influence was almost gone from what we saw in trailers, I know things change during production but they had a thing going with the Giger stuff but decided against it.

I figured it was a copyright issue, maybe.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016, 07:40 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
01-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Find

(01-15-2016, 07:39 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(01-15-2016, 11:17 AM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: That's another thing that disappointed me about SOMA, HR Giger influence was almost gone from what we saw in trailers, I know things change during production but they had a thing going with the Giger stuff but decided against it.

I figured it was a copyright issue, maybe.

While it did had some Giger influence but they didnt right copy/rip off any of his paintings and other art work.
01-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(01-15-2016, 08:44 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: While it did had some Giger influence but they didnt right copy/rip off any of his paintings and other art work.

I am assuming that you've played, or at least watched, the game Dark Seed. Otherwise, that's a tip. Also all Turrican games have some form of Giger/Aliens level.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016, 08:54 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
01-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Find

(01-15-2016, 08:54 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(01-15-2016, 08:44 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: While it did had some Giger influence but they didnt right copy/rip off any of his paintings and other art work.

I am assuming that you've played, or at least watched, the game Dark Seed. Otherwise, that's a tip. Also all Turrican games have some form of Giger/Aliens level.
Only seen Dark Seed 1 in pre-Amnesia Top 10 Scariest Games Lists and let's play and Dark Seed 2 for...well
Spoiler below!

I have played Cyberdreams' other games like: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream which I love Hate it.
But wasn't H.R giger himself directly involved with product of Dark Seed? That's why they were able to to use his paintings.
01-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Find