Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having issues running at 144hz refresh rate
cigaro5676
Unregistered

Not Solved Having issues running at 144hz refresh rate
Hello!

So basically the game seems to only run at 60Hz refresh on my monitor (BenQ XL2430T) regardless of the settings I choose.

Using MSI Afterburner to monitor I set V-sync to on or off or adaptive. I have not changed any Vsync settings in the Nvidia control panel.

This shows that the game is rendering 144+ frames per second but the screen is only updating at 60hz. I do not have a way to confirm this other than looking at the screen and moving around.

I have even tried editing the ini files to turn off the engine fps limit. This gets me up to 500-700 fps in menu and ~150-160 in game with the settings on Max 1080p but doesn't resolve the issue with refresh.

I have changed in Nvidia control panel to prefer maximum refresh rate.

Changing the refresh in game does nothing on my rig. Even setting to 30hz does not affect anything.

I have also disabled SLI, Shadowplay to see if either were a cause of the issue.

The refesh in game appears to only affect the maximum FPS the game will cap at when using Vsync.

Running the latest Nvidia drivers. Also tested this on the much older Win 10 ready driver.

Also shadowplay won't work at all unless I do a full desktop (which isn't a big deal honestly)

Any ideas? Thanks

Specs:

i5-4690k (4.5Ghz)
SLI GTX 970
8GB
Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Game is installed on an SSD
BenQ XL2430T 144hz 1080p Monitor
09-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Not Solved RE: Having issues running at 144hz refresh rate
I can confirm this myself. I could feel the game wasn't updating at 144 Hz but rather 60. I first thought the refresh rate option in the settings was (and I still do believe it's the intention) your way of implementing above-60 visible FPS, but something isn't working right.
This was a thing with Amnesia as well, and editing the configs of setting UpdatesPerSecond=60 to something higher had no effect as far as I know. Disabling the LimitFPS would also not push out more frames to the monitor, even if the FPS counter read 500.

Sooo... Has the refresh rate been tested to work? If so, is there something that's causing it to not work for us? I have a single GTX 970 myself, so at least OP and I have that card in common. My monitor is an XL2411Z however.

@OP As for ShadowPlay, it seems to struggle capturing most OpenGL games. I think Fraps is better at actually capturing the window (but way worse in performance. SP FTW).

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015, 02:14 PM by Mudbill.)
09-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Find
Unregistered

Also here is my log file. Game runs great other than this one issue. Only an hour or so in though.

(09-23-2015, 02:13 PM)Mugbill Wrote: I can confirm this myself. I could feel the game wasn't updating at 144 Hz but rather 60. I first thought the refresh rate option in the settings was (and I still do believe it's the intention) your way of implementing above-60 visible FPS, but something isn't working right.
This was a thing with Amnesia as well, and editing the configs of setting UpdatesPerSecond=60 to something higher had no effect as far as I know. Disabling the LimitFPS would also not push out more frames to the monitor, even if the FPS counter read 500.

Sooo... Has the refresh rate been tested to work? If so, is there something that's causing it to not work for us? I have a single GTX 970 myself, so at least OP and I have that card in common. My monitor is an XL2411Z however.

Great (well kinda) to know I am not alone! Your BenQ is almost identical to mine as well Smile

If the game won't refresh above 60 it won't be the end of the world. Just was confusing to see the option in the settings only to have it not work!

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 84.56 KB / Downloads: 171)
09-23-2015, 02:13 PM
cigaro5676
Unregistered

Not sure if it was the update today or something but my issue seems to be resolved. Setting it to 144hz in menu and disabling V-Sync seems to correct the issue. Either that or I'm seeing things Smile

Cheers.
09-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Bringing this back because I've yet to actually see the 144 Hz. Any steps needed that I'm unaware of? I feel like I'm able to get a smooth framerate out of 144 Hz and Adaptive V-sync settings, but I can't quite say it's up to par with the full experience. It might just be a smooth 60, because it doesn't feel too bad, but it doesn't quite feel like the 144 I'm used to.

Is there a way to test this? Perhaps I'm just seeing things too (or not seeing things rather).

Just as a note, when I tested by setting the Hz to 30 in the settings, the game went far below, somewhere in the 15-20 range. Perhaps that could be a hint?

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015, 10:05 AM by Mudbill.)
10-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Might have to remove your settings file and makes sure you have a fresh one created by the game that is up-to-date, then it should not be a need to change anything except in the game options. Originally there was some problems with the game not being able to change the refresh rate properly, but should now be fixed.
10-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Website Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I just can't get it to work. After removing the settings files it seems to perform worse for some reason.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Removed all files from My Games/Main (it seems Steam re-downloads them though from the cloud, perhaps that's an issue. At least it downloads the saves).
  • Starting the game after deleting the settings gives me the first start again, but the game is seemingly running at less than 30 FPS until I go to the settings, change the Refresh Rate from 60 to 144, and restart the game. Sometimes the RR is already set to 144. It seems to help by setting it down and back up, then restart. Even so, neither of these result in more than 60 FPS pushed out.
  • Setting the RR to anything below 120 results in poorer and poorer performance. At 30, 60, 100, it seems the game runs at 30.
  • I've tried restarting the game several times.
  • Once, when I got 60 FPS from 100 RR, I disabled the Smooth Mouse, and it dropped to 30 FPS. Re-enabling it did not restore 60. Not sure what that was about. Perhaps random and unrelated.
Running public_beta of the game, with verified files.

As a complete side note, where did the Subtitles option go? Did it disappear with the public_beta, like the _supersecret did? Found it. Forgot it was in Audio options. Heard someone said it was in Game options.

Edit: Tried a few more things:
  • Tried running the Soma_NoSteam.exe. Results are the same.
  • After doing a "first start" the RR is set to 144 (even though the game runs slowly).
  • Using "Detect settings" will set the RR to 60 (same performance though).
  • Setting the RR to 144 after detecting will make the game run faster (but more like 60, not 144).

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2015, 11:39 AM by Mudbill.)
10-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.