Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen tearing making game unplayable
deathano0b
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Question  Screen tearing making game unplayable
Dear Frictional games,
I got Soma last night and was really pumped to play it seeing how amazing your previous games are. I went to play it for the first time knowing nothing about the game and saw this at the beginning.

[Image: 2015-09-23_00001_zpswr9zruhl.jpg.html?fi...sort=1&o=7]

I am still not sure if that is normal or not seeing as the game itself has that tearing effect like in the title screen but as the game starts it has the cut scene which looks good but then the game starts and all the levels load with a picture showing what it will look like.

[Image: 2015-09-23_00002_zpss3rdbd0u.jpg.html?fi...sort=1&o=5]

and then when I get in the level it looks like this.

[Image: 2015-09-23_00003_zpszzyf6ent.jpg.html?fi...sort=1&o=1]

[Image: 2015-09-23_00005_zpsqbybphz9.jpg.html?fi...sort=1&o=3]

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/deathan...ml?filters[user]=143996208&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

and it's has been doing this the whole time when I look at the phone it's a blank black screen and the drink I drank in the first part was an empty bottle with the label on and when i was on the train the back of peoples heads were gone.

I am running the game on a msi gt60 the specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM
VGA: Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M / 2GB GDDR5
LED Panel: 15.6" FHD, 1920X1080 (Non-Glare Type)
RAMBig GrinDRlll 12GB (4GB*3)
HDD: 750GB 7200RPM
RF: 802.11b/g/n

I did what the thread about switching it from the Intel Core to the Nvidia possessor and put all the video options to low and still nothing has changed if you could help me I'm not very tech smart and it's a huge bummer cause this game looks amazing and I would love to play it and I kinda blew the last of my paycheck on it lol.

Sincerely, deathano0b

P.S. the copy I have is off Steam
09-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Screen tearing making game unplayable
I have the same problem with my copy! I can see through walls and nothing shows up on the phone's screen at the beginning. Is this unfixable? :/
09-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7
Check ur graphic card drivers.
Reunstall the game.
Look for any process that could interfere with the game.
Shut down browser, they eat RAM.
Try turning the graphics down.

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
09-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Find
Unregistered

Updated everything, lowered graphics as much as possible and closed all my browsers and still having the issue. Maybe it's my computer but I've never had this problem with a game before
09-25-2015, 04:56 PM
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Make sure drivers for graphics card are up-to-date by going to nvidia.com and download and install the latest driver. Switch to the latest public_beta by right-clicking on SOMA in steam, pick properties, beta tab and select public_beta in the drop down, close. Let Steam download files and then run SOMA.

If problem remains, right-click SOMA in steam, pick properties, local files and do a verify cache integrity check.

For screen tearing, make sure VSYNC is ON or adaptive in the game options and make sure that VSYNC is application controlled in the nvidia control panel.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 05:47 PM by jens.)
09-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Website Find
cyb0rgmous3 Offline

Threads: 1
On the latest NVidia drivers I can confirm there's severe screen tearing. Usually on the bottom third of the screen.

Don't tell us to turn on VSync. It creates terrible mouse lag & limits the framerate to 30.

We are on PC. This is 2015. I should have to make a compromise between running higher settings and running at lower frames, not running the game in a playable state & in 30fps. VSync is terrible. It's not a solution.
09-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Find
Unregistered

I'm afraid these things are not making the tearing better. And turning on VSync only made it worse. :/ is there anything else you could suggest?
09-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Have you tried Adaptive vsync?

Please also post the hpl.log, makes it easier for us to figure out what might be causing the problem.
09-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Find
Unregistered

Creating generate module
Creating haptic module
Creating scene module
Creating script module
Creating lipsync module
--------------------------------------------------------

Initializing Resources Module
Creating loader handlers
Creating resource managers
Adding loaders to handlers

Initializing Graphics Module
Init lowlevel graphics: 1024x768 bpp:32 rr: 60 fs:2 ms:0 driver: 0 cap:'SOMA Loading...' posSad-1x-1)
Available drivers:
(0) - 'windows'
(1) - 'dummy'
Creating window: (-1,-1) 1024 x 768 - 32 bpp flags: 18
Setting display mode: 1024 x 768 - 32 bpp 60 hz
Init Glew...OK
Setting up OpenGL
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Version: 4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.3308
Max texture image units: 16
Max texture coord units: 8
Max texture buffer size: 4194304
Max texture array slices: 2048
Max user clip planes: 8
Two sided stencil: 1
Vertex Buffer Object: 1
Anisotropic filtering: 1
Max Anisotropic degree: 16
Multisampling: 1
Texture compression: 1
Texture compression S3TC: 1
Texture compression 3DC: 0
Texture sRGB: 1
Geometry Instancing: 1
Auto generate MipMaps: 1
Render to texture: 1
Max draw buffers: 8
Max color render targets: 8
Packed depth-stencil: 1
Texture float: 1
GLSL Version: 4.00 - Build 10.18.10.3308
ShaderModel 2: 1
ShaderModel 3: 1
ShaderModel 4: 1
Max vertex uniforms: 4096
Max fragment uniforms: 4096
OGL ATIFragmentShader: 0
Tesselation: 1
MultiBindTex: 0
Initializing DevIL
Vendor String: Abysmal Software
Version String: Developer's Image Library (DevIL) 1.7.8
Version Number: 178
Adding engine materials
Adding engine post effects

Initializing Sound Module
Initializing FMOD.

Initializing Game Module
Adding engine updates

User Initialization

Game Running
Loading keybinds - file version:5
Failed parsing of XML document C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/maps/main_menu/main_menu.voice: file not found
Failed parsing of XML document C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/maps/main_menu/main_menu.lang: file not found
ERROR: Skipping map specific voice file 'maps/main_menu.voice', not found!
ERROR: Could not get group with path 'frontend/' in project 'special_fx'. Reason: An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
ERROR: Could not get group with path 'frontend/' in project 'special_fx'. Reason: An invalid parameter was passed to this function.
-------------- SAVE THREAD INIT -----------------
-------------- SAVE THREAD COMPLETED -----------------
Delayed function: object:
-------------- LOADING GAME -----------------
Started loading save file AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_13_46_42_0.sav
Map script loading started
Map script loading completed
Character with name Player does not exist in voice handler!
----- GOT FOCUS ----------
ERROR: Couldn't create material 'Wood Robust.mat'
WARNING: Sub mesh '00_01_tap_(Conflict_Present)' does not exist in mesh '00_01_tap_pouring.msh'!
ERROR: Could not find bone '00_01_tap_(Conflict_Present)' in model 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.ent'
ERROR: Could not find bone '00_01_tap00_01_tap_(Conflict_Added)' in model 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.ent'
ERROR: Loading entity tap_pouring: Skeletons in mesh file (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.msh) and .ent file (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.ent) differ! Probably caused by .ent not being up to date with mesh
ERROR: Couldn't create material 'Default Soft.mat'
WARNING: Sub mesh '00_01_tap_(Conflict_Present)' does not exist in mesh '00_01_tap_pouring.msh'!
ERROR: Could not find bone '00_01_tap_(Conflict_Present)' in model 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.ent'
ERROR: Could not find bone '00_01_tap00_01_tap_(Conflict_Added)' in model 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.ent'
ERROR: Loading entity tap_pouring_kitchen: Skeletons in mesh file (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.msh) and .ent file (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/organic/water/pouring/00_01_tap_pouring/00_01_tap_pouring.ent) differ! Probably caused by .ent not being up to date with mesh
ERROR: Could not find bone 'Root_Ctrl' in model 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/character/player/hands/hands_human.ent'
ERROR: Loading entity Recreated Entity: Skeletons in mesh file (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/character/player/hands/hands_human.msh) and .ent file (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/entities/character/player/hands/hands_human.ent) differ! Probably caused by .ent not being up to date with mesh
-------------- LOADING GAME COMPLETE -----------------
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_newspaper_article_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'book_brain01_2' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_newspaper_article_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'magazine_household_2' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'magazine_household_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'book_brain01_2' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'magazine_sports_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_corkboard_foto_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_photos_holiday3_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_corkboard_prescription_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_corkboard_flyer_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_corkboard_flyer_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_photos_holiday5_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'Notepad' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'Notepad' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_05_get_well_card_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'magazine_household_2' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'magazine_household_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object 'magazine_sports_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_corkboard_foto_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_photos_holiday3_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_corkboard_prescription_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_01_photos_holiday5_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find script object '00_05_get_well_card_1' for calling global func '_Global_CanBeHighlighted'
ERROR: Could not find sound entity MenuBGNoise in Sound_Stop
-------------- SAVING GAME -----------------
Started save file AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_21_6_43_0.sav
Cloud saved: Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_21_6_43_0.sav
Failed parsing of XML document C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/maps/main_menu/main_menu.voice: file not found
Failed parsing of XML document C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/maps/main_menu/main_menu.lang: file not found
WARNING: Could not find player start node ''
ERROR: StartPos '' does not exist!

Statistics
Medium framerate: 8.528202

User Exit
Saving user config.
Saving key config.
Deleting game modules.
'LuxMusicHandler'
'LoadHandler'
'LuxInputHandler'
'LuxHelpFuncs'
'LuxMapHelper'
'LuxGuiHandler'
'LuxAchievementHandler'
'LuxSaveHandler'
'LuxDebugHandler'
'LuxVoiceHandler'
'LuxMapHandler'
'LuxEventDatabaseHandler'
'LuxPlayer'
'LuxEffectHandler'
'LuxSoundscapeHandler'
'LuxDialogHandler'
'LuxCritterHandler'
'HintHandler'
'DescriptionHandler'
'PlayerToolHandler'
'PlayerPickupHandler'
'TerrainParticleHandler'
'DistortionEffectsHandler'
'DatamineHandler'
'LightFlashHandler'
'MapEffectsHandler'
'AttackMeterHandler'
'GameOverHandler'
'EmotionHandler'
'WakeHandler'
'MenuHandler'
'InfectionHandler'
'InventoryHandler'
'PlayerEnergyHandler'
'HighlightEffectHandler'
'PlayerHandsHandler'
'CreditsHandler'
Cloud storage saving and clean-up
Updated key config cloud file: hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E_user_keys.cfg. Cloud date: (24/8/2015 23:52:11)
Save files:
#1: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_24_23_49_44_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_24_23_49_44_0.sav'
#2: 'Main/CheckPoint.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/CheckPoint.sav'
#3: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_24_23_51_55_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_24_23_51_55_0.sav'
#4: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_0_20_6_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_0_20_6_0.sav'
#5: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_15_36_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_15_36_0.sav'
#6: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_34_54_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_34_54_0.sav'
#7: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_36_9_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_36_9_0.sav'
#8: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_36_29_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_36_29_0.sav'
#9: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_53_8_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_53_8_0.sav'
#10: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_53_22_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_11_53_22_0.sav'
#11: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_13_46_42_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_13_46_42_0.sav'
#12: 'Main/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_21_6_43_0.sav' local: 'C:\Users\madeleine\Documents/My Games/Soma/Main/hallowgallow_11000010A6C172E/AutoSave_00-01-apartment_2015_9_25_21_6_43_0.sav'

Deleting config files.

Exiting Script Module

Exiting Gui Module
Deleting all im guis
Deleting all sets
Deleting all skins
Deleting all gfx elements
Deleting all materials

Exiting Generate Module

Exiting Scene Module

Exiting Input Module

Exiting Sound Module

Exiting Graphics Module

-------------------
Potential resource leaks
-------------------
- FrameBuffer: ImageTrailBuffer
- Texture: ImageTrailTexture
-------------------

Exiting Resources Module
Done with fonts
Done with scripts
Done with particles
Done with sounds
Done with meshes
Done with materials
Done with Gpu programs
Done with images
Stopped texture stream thread
Destroyed all textures
Done with sound entities
Done with animations
Done with ent files
All resources deleted

Exiting Physics Module

Exiting System Module

Exiting Lipsync Module

Deleting game setup provided by user
- Deleting lowlevel stuff.
Script
Physics
Sound
Input
Resources
System
Graphics
Haptic
Lipsync
HPL Exit was successful!

|--Memory Manager Report-------------------------------|
|
| No memory leaks detected. Memory left: 0
|
|------------------------------------------------------|

Here's the hpl.log. And Adaptive didn't change anything :/
09-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7
It seems like all those People with framreate issues ave the same exact errors in the log.

That is from another log... from a complete other thread... but they all can play the game, if with errors...

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
09-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.