Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding the AMD OpenGL issue for Laptops.
Einhaender Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Regarding the AMD OpenGL issue for Laptops.

Quote:Due to an AMD policy regarding OpenGL, the game almost always runs using the integrated Intel HD card. So you have to use that graphics card. Use the Have Disk Method to update your drivers. Keep in mind that Intel graphics cards are not supported and you may encounter problems.

Apparently this was already an issue with Amnesia TDD. Does this mean that this is it? That, even though I'm able to run latest games like Mad Max or TPP without problems, SOMA will never run smooth, simply because it forces itself to use the Intel HD4000 card?

How come Frictional didn't try to work something out in that regard? Because I certainly haven't encountered this problem in any other game, be it indie or not. So I kinda doubt that you can simply blame AMD here.

I just wanna know if I'm screwed for good, just for having a gaming laptop with AMD, even though I exceed the recommended specs by far. Or is it worth waiting for a patch in this regard?

If not, then I have to go for a refund. No hard feelings, but I just can't do much with a game that's stuttering all the time. Unfortunately, my work requires quite a lot of traveling, so switching to a desktop PC is not an option, that's why I invested in a gaming laptop in the first place.

Edit: I believe that, if this is a prevalent issue, for all AMD laptop users, that can't be helped, then a warning on the store page would be more adequate, instead of a simple link to an old TDD troubleshooting guide in the forums.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015, 11:36 AM by Einhaender.)
09-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Find
Vash63 Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Regarding the AMD OpenGL issue for Laptops.

What about other OpenGL games, such as Wolfenstein: The New Order (or The Old Blood)? AMD's poor OpenGL support is IMO one of the biggest reasons why Direct3D has managed to take such an industry position, which is not a positive thing in terms of competition.
09-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Find
Einhaender Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Regarding the AMD OpenGL issue for Laptops.

I only played The Old Blood, so I can't speak for TNO, but it ran perfectly fine. That's why I'm so confused with this issue, since as I've said, I've never encountered this problem with other games.
09-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Find
bongpig Offline

I have an Intel + AMD laptop. The game definitely uses the AMD, not the onboard HD4000.
09-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Find
Vash63 Offline

Hm, if The Old Blood used AMD then maybe it's something AMD has to write a driver hack for. Maybe they weren't willing to do so for a 15-person game like Soma but were for Wolfenstein which is published by Bethesda? There aren't exactly a lot of other OpenGL games to compare against lately.
09-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Is it not possible to enter the AMD config menu and explicity set SOMA to use the AMD card instead of the Intel one?
09-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Find