Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures
TheBlazer Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures

Specs:
i5 4570
GTX 770 - 2GB VRAM (latest drivers)
8GB RAM
Windows 10

So I have arrived at the point where you call in your first Zeppelin and you have to get it working (don't want to spoil anything here), and every time I stepped on the ship's loading platform to use the Omnitool terminal or the memory box the game crashed.

I had read something about texture memory usage on the Steam forums, so I set my textures to medium instead of high. Surprise surprise, the game works and I can proceed. Now, I'm still at the landed Zeppelin's platform, and if I set textures to high again, the game instantly crashes with a video driver crash.

At this point I'm wondering if crashing is caused by the game running out of video memory for textures, especially considering that my graphics card "only" has 2 gigs. It doesn't help that the Steam requirements don't list the recommended amount of VRAM. Now I don't want to do the developers' job, but the textures in SOMA are nice but they don't look that hi-res, so I'm not sure how they could possibly require more than 2GB.

TL;DR Crashing seems to be related to texture quality for me.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015, 02:02 PM by TheBlazer.)
09-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures

Easy one, but only people with bad pcs like me know that stuff instantly Big Grin
Yes its your memory/RAM. The textures fill alot of it and the vram too. Once the ram is full the system switches to a special system to manage the memory.

This means when you move you camera a bit its starts throwing out old crap in loading stuff completly new in. Do that a few times and the system starts lagging.
You will get screen freezing and randomly the game will send you to the desktop.

You cant change that.

Play with medium and leave it there, or you buy yourself some new hardware... but thats not needed since you actually said u can play the game with lower textures.

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
09-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Find
darkroastbeans
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures

I have this same problem. If it's a texture issue then the auto-detect feature in display settings is very poor. If my video card (GTX 660) can't handle those settings why does it choose them?

(09-26-2015, 02:01 PM)TheBlazer Wrote: Specs:
i5 4570
GTX 770 - 2GB VRAM (latest drivers)
8GB RAM
Windows 10

So I have arrived at the point where you call in your first Zeppelin and you have to get it working (don't want to spoil anything here), and every time I stepped on the ship's loading platform to use the Omnitool terminal or the memory box the game crashed.

I had read something about texture memory usage on the Steam forums, so I set my textures to medium instead of high. Surprise surprise, the game works and I can proceed. Now, I'm still at the landed Zeppelin's platform, and if I set textures to high again, the game instantly crashes with a video driver crash.

At this point I'm wondering if crashing is caused by the game running out of video memory for textures, especially considering that my graphics card "only" has 2 gigs. It doesn't help that the Steam requirements don't list the recommended amount of VRAM. Now I don't want to do the developers' job, but the textures in SOMA are nice but they don't look that hi-res, so I'm not sure how they could possibly require more than 2GB.

TL;DR Crashing seems to be related to texture quality for me.
09-27-2015, 01:05 AM
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

2 gig should be enough to run on high. Have had many people doing that.

Is there any other application open that might be stealing resources?
09-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Find