Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Computer RPGs
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
Computer RPGs

Back in the day I really liked playing CRPGs. But somewhere down the line, CRPGs became mass-marketed and developers started trying to appeal to lowest common denominator. I.e. focusing on good graphics and simple gameplay.

So I want you guys to give your honest opinion about newer CRPGs.

What about games like Morrowind and Oblivion? Are they good? Some people love them, but others utterly hate them. Personally I´ve gotten the impression that it´s just hack & slash, and while that´s fine for a game (I love both Daiblo 1 & 2!) I´m not sure that it´s realy fun in the first person viewpoint. (That´s said, I´m a bit averse towards first person view in CRPGs, though I do like some FPRPG like Vampire Bloodlines and Deus Ex).

What about FallOut 3? I loved FO1 and FO2 , how does the new one compare? I gather FallOut 3 is very popular, but most old school fans hate it?

Of new CRPGs I think Dragon Age and Divinity 2 Ego Draconis look interesting. I was a big fan of Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 and of the first Divine Divinity back in the day.

What are your favourite CRPGs, old or new?
12-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Computer RPGs

I've never played either of the original Fallouts but Fallout 3 is shit in the most basic sense of the word. Oblivion is marginally better, but it has come to my attention that all Bethesda games I've played are really bad, full of copypasta environments, limited roleplaying, terrible animation, and boring characters. They're really not much more in terms of roleplaying than STALKER, except with an option to insult people too.

I've actually really had little experience with the roleplaying genre, what with the fact that my computer never ran FO1 or FO2 correctly and that Deus Ex had some sort of sound problem after the first level in which it constantly flickered in volume, if that makes any sense.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
12-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Website Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

F3 can be pretty fun if you spend several hours looking for the correct mods; but it's still an action RPG that crashes every 5 minutes if you're lucky.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
12-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I really liked the Baldur's Gate series and all the other Forgotten Realms games for that matter: Neverwinter Nights 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2. Also, check out Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and Lionheart: Legacy of the crusader. Really great games.

As for Fallout 3, it really is not a bad game, don't listen to Lee, he. Just. Can't. Get. Satisfied. Like Windex said: use mods, the game was made for them. Playing the Bethgames vanilla is pretty boring, I have to agree with Lee about that, though by using the right mods, the games really are worthwhile.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
12-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

(12-16-2009, 07:37 AM)nackidno Wrote: I really liked the Baldur's Gate series and all the other Forgotten Realms games for that matter: Neverwinter Nights 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2. Also, check out Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and Lionheart: Legacy of the crusader. Really great games.

Well, I´ve played all those except the Neverwinter Nights games. Though remember trying Neverwinter Nights and not liking it, but that was long ago and I guess I cvould give the games a second chance.

I love PS:T and Arcanum! Actually I just recently replayed Arcanum with some mods (the unofficial patch, hires patch, etc). They´re great games.

Did you play TOEE?

(12-16-2009, 07:37 AM)nackidno Wrote: Like Windex said: use mods, the game was made for them. Playing the Bethgames vanilla is pretty boring, I have to agree with Lee about that, though by using the right mods, the games really are worthwhile.
Well, I´m a bit a wary of a game that needs mods in order to be fun. I don´t know... I guess I´ll get around to playing it eventually.
12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

My favourite game is Gothic II.
And it's also a RPG. You should check it out.

12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Website Find
spukrian Offline

(12-16-2009, 09:26 PM)Scraper Wrote: My favourite game is Gothic II.
And it's also a RPG. You should check it out.
I tried the demo of Gothic 1 a while back, and it wasn´t my cup of tea. Biggest complaint I have was the unintuitive GUI.
12-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Well, Larian released a demo of Divinity 2 Ego Draconis... but it´s 1.8 Gb! It´s gonna take at least an hour to download....

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads....ber=395956
12-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Find
ravenx444 Offline

Threads: 1

I would say that Oblivion is a crap game out of the box. BUT, the strength of oblivion lies in the engine tech, and the modding community. IT has a VERY strong ability to create a roleplaying atmosphere.

I spent alot of time in oblivion with houses, getting married, playing robinhood (thieves aresenal mod), taking over guilds, starting wars, going to morrowind, etc.

And the only thing I just mentioned that you can do out of the box was having a house....a small one.
12-31-2009, 02:02 AM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

I was never a big RPG junkie, but I utterly loved Arcanum : Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - a.k.a. "Fallout : The Tolkieneque fantasy steampunk version". Wink: Big Grin: I never played any of the Fallout games, but this cousin of their's (from the same devs, no less) really got me hooked. It's really a very good CRPG, with tons of possibilities and replayability...

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
12-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Find