Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Soma.exe has stopped' crash on start-up.
ylihp Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago 'Soma.exe has stopped' crash on start-up.

Hi

I have tried everything I can read on the internet to no avail. I have installed Microsoft C++ from just about every possible year, I've ran it as an admin, I've updated my graphics card to the latest driver, I've checked that it can handle the Open GL 3.3 or later, I've made sure I have the latest DX, I've tried all sorts of settings on the graphics card on and off to see if anything worked, disabling anti-virus and other possible interfering background programs... So I'm at a loose end. Every time I try to open it I see a glitched out screen with a loading bar at the bottom, and as soon as it reaches the end, the game crashes.

My specs are:

Intel Core i7-4770k, 3.50GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 10 64 bit
GeForce GTX 780

My hpl file is attached. [EDIT] no it's not because apparently it's too big to attach. I'll try and post it at the bottom I guess. Edit again, doesn't fit there either, any ideas?

Also I've got it on GoG, not steam, if that makes a difference.

Any help will be massively appreciated, I normally find a way to sort these problems out myself but I'm totally lost on this one.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 01:14 PM by ylihp.)
09-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: 'Soma.exe has stopped' crash on start-up.

Paste your hpl.log on Pastebin if you cannot post it here.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Find
ylihp Offline

(09-28-2015, 01:36 PM)Romulator Wrote: Paste your hpl.log on Pastebin if you cannot post it here.

Thanks mate

http://pastebin.com/M2JY5xen

I'm sort of hoping, reading some of the crash fixes which have been recently released on Steam, that once they arrive on GoG my problems will be solved. But I don't know how much longer it takes to get there.
09-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Forgive me if I am incorrect, since I am a Steam User, but does GOG have a repair installation function of some sort? It looks to me that you're missing quite a few important files, possibly from a corrupted or unfinished installation.

Also this C++ redistributeable as far as I know, is the only one you require to play the game.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Find
demon0496 Offline

Same thing has happened to me. It says SOMA.exe has stopped working on launch. I haven't even gotten to the main menu at all since launch day. I've very disappointed. I've heard great things about the game.
09-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Find
ylihp Offline

(09-28-2015, 02:12 PM)Romulator Wrote: Forgive me if I am incorrect, since I am a Steam User, but does GOG have a repair installation function of some sort? It looks to me that you're missing quite a few important files, possibly from a corrupted or unfinished installation.

Also this C++ redistributeable as far as I know, is the only one you require to play the game.

It does yeah, I've just ran it and it says it's verified the installation, but I'll re-download and start a fresh anyway I think just in case.
09-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Find
ylihp Offline

OK So I just re-installed, got like 2 blue-screen crashes while GoG was 'moving' the files to my hard drive once the download had finished, and now when I try to load the game it crashed before it even gets to the glitchy loading screen I used to get.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 05:06 PM by ylihp.)
09-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Accroding the posted log the game install was corrupt.

It seems like you get it started now though. Could you upload a new log?
09-29-2015, 07:48 AM
Find
ylihp Offline

(09-29-2015, 07:48 AM)Thomas Wrote: Accroding the posted log the game install was corrupt.

This must have something to do with the random blue-screens I get just as the game is installing then. I don't know why that happens. I'll try again I think, and if it installs without blue-screening and still doesn't work, I'll post another log.

Thanks mate
09-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Find
ylihp Offline

(09-29-2015, 07:48 AM)Thomas Wrote: Accroding the posted log the game install was corrupt.

Thomas, you and Romulator were correct, it was a corrupt installation. I watched it like a hawk this time to make sure it didn't blue screen while installing, and it didn't, and IT WORKS PERFECTLY! Big Grin

Have been playing ever since, and I took the time to write this message while I 'NOPE'd out of the game while one of those creepy ass screen-fuzzing sumbitches was lurking the hallways a little too snug in this particular part for my liking. Off to grow some balls and start playing again. Cheers!
09-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Find