Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Overture stuff vs Black Plague stuff
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Overture stuff vs Black Plague stuff

(01-10-2010, 10:48 PM)Nevyn Wrote: I just plowed through all the three games this weekend and had a great time. I remember playing Penumbra years ago but it must have been some early demo as it was very different from this. (smoke filled corridors with wasp like flying creatures anyone?)

That's Tech Demo from 2006.
Also, there was even a game before Penumbra, which was called Unbirth.
Unbirth is only on alpha or beta stage, so it will crash randomly when you play it.
And some of the maps won't work at all...

Both of the games are available for download as a freeware at the Games section on FrictionalGames.com .

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM by Ano.)
01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Website Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(12-28-2009, 05:01 PM)TheLittleGarfield Wrote: I remember that there was a thread about some guy trying to put some of the BP files in Overture to make the rotation work, but it just messed up the game.

Well, actually it works but you have to edit a lot files by yourself and you need to know exactly what you´re doing:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-2361.html

EDIT: Changed the link, it works now!
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2011, 08:38 PM by spukrian.)
01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Find
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2

(01-12-2010, 04:52 PM)spukrian Wrote:
(12-28-2009, 05:01 PM)TheLittleGarfield Wrote: I remember that there was a thread about some guy trying to put some of the BP files in Overture to make the rotation work, but it just messed up the game.

Well, actually it works but you have to edit a lot files by yourself and you need to know exactly what you´re doing:

http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=2523

Awesome, though there are some bugs

Meh...
01-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Find
Mervin Offline

Threads: 0

I thought that Overture was scarier than Black Plauge. The surroundings and level design was much more frightning (I've always considered mines/caves scarier than an office complex.) BP is more of a "jump scare"- game than an atmopsheric game. Also BP was a bit too trippy for my taste.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM by Mervin.)
12-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

The scene in BP where you head for a door (to the library?) And suddenly it's gone - you spin around, dead end. Didn't I just come from that way? Whaaa- That scene was done very well. Hard to choose between the two games though, they both did a really good job of immersing and scaring the player.
12-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

Both are very well made games, but if I have to choose, I would say Black Plague is better. The atmosphere was more intense and darker...
In Overture the combat system bugs me terribly.
12-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Website Find
RockMaster Offline

Threads: 0

I liked Black Plague more, it was scary. Overture was also good, but you could kill the dogs. I remember in the "factory part" of overture where you can get the dogs stuck inside cells, i just killed them all after using a piece of meat to "call" them, it wasn't that scary.

In Black Plague, and in hard mode, is truly scary. Theres a part in the chemical lab where Clarance tells you to go right (yeah, go towards an infected) and you have to turn a switch to open the door, but that guy is always after you no matter what. Being the room so small and hard mode on, you got to be really, really fast to press the switch and run like hell to the door.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2011, 05:35 AM by RockMaster.)
01-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

Im loving bp more than overture
infected are scarier and make me piss all over my face
dogs are more annoying instead of scary

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
06-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Find
Modular100 Offline

Threads: 5

Definitely Black Plague, it's way scarier than Overture. I was stuck at the part where you were supposed to gather explosives and build a fuse for ages until I realized where to use the dynamite, and how to actually build the fuse. Dodgy

Black Plague also was more atmospheric to me, the hallways were really scary to sneak around in, and the infected really creeped me out. Only bad thing about them is that they were completely dead silent! At least the grunts and brutes in Amnesia make sounds when they are enabled and when they chase you.

06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(12-06-2010, 05:55 PM)Mervin Wrote: I thought that Overture was scarier than Black Plauge. The surroundings and level design was much more frightning (I've always considered mines/caves scarier than an office complex.) BP is more of a "jump scare"- game than an atmopsheric game. Also BP was a bit too trippy for my taste.

Yes, you say it.
Overture is much better than Black Plague.
Because it has more thoughful puzzles in the game. You have to find out more stuff and to solve more physic's working.
In Black Plague you can do nothing, only run away from the infected, you can not kill them and there are less puzzles, less ideas in the game. It is really scary, but has not enough real puzzle stuff.

In Overture you have to read notes to find out some things, you have to saw wood to get through a door, you have to push a key through the key hole and draw it under the door with a paper, you have a better story and puzzles are harder, not so easy or slight like in Black Plague.

And Black Plague has some parts in minds and some maps in the game are unreal with magic elements and that is a further reason, why it is not so good as Overture.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2011, 08:33 PM by Googolplex.)
06-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Find