Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Puppet (aka proxy)
Hypercube Offline

Threads: 20
The Puppet (aka proxy)

okay seriously, is it just a bug that will never be fixed, or am I missing something? the puppet, both 1 and 2 (excluding poseable puppet) don't appear in my levels, every monster except the puppets. is there any solution to this? they just don't appear, that's it. I hear the ambient sounds from them, but not the actual walking talking monster sounds.
10-08-2015, 02:51 AM
Find
Vale Offline

Threads: 13
RE: The Puppet (aka proxy)

Do they appear in the main game for you?
If they do, then look over their script.
I can't be certain, but I think the proxies have a tendency to despawn when you dont see them and move around.
I imagine there's a script command you need to use.

I just looked over another thread about this, and it seems the puppet shows up when you add path nodes to it?
If you dont know how theyre explained in a community wiki page under 'other'.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015, 03:09 PM by Vale.)
10-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

I've been taking a look at them, and Puppet's have the tendency to "hide". The problem is, I don't know how to stop them from hiding, even with pathnodes assigned or forcing them to appear with various script functions (for reference, in CodeLite (if you have set it up correctly), start typing "Puppet" and you will see a few scripts).

Take a look through theta_tunnels and see if you can figure out for yourself what to do~ It's very odd, even with pathnodes applied. I'll see what happens if I force it to appear right in front of me later.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Find
Hypercube Offline

Threads: 20

Okay, I'll check it out. I only want to use the puppet for a short map, im not gonna code a ton of things, do this and that and make a story, but ya know. I think the puppet was the best monster, the theta segment of the game was freaky
10-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Find
Myster Stranger
Unregistered

(10-08-2015, 10:10 PM)Hypercube Wrote: Okay, I'll check it out. I only want to use the puppet for a short map, im not gonna code a ton of things, do this and that and make a story, but ya know. I think the puppet was the best monster, the theta segment of the game was freaky

Coral Puppets don't exist by default, to utilize them, incorporate a AttackMeter_SetAttackerTeleportPosition("TriggerAreaWhereYouWantYourSpaceMonster");

(10-12-2015, 08:56 AM)Myster Stranger Wrote: Coral Puppets don't exist by default, to utilize them, incorporate a AttackMeter_SetAttackerTeleportPosition("TriggerAreaWhereYouWantYourSpaceMonster");

Here's the code portion I have for an upcoming map, spawns them successfully. Puppet Entity's name is Pinky, spawns at PinkySpawn, triggered by CollideTriggerActivateCoral between player using collision callbacks with a trigger area.

bool CollideTriggerActivateCoral(const tString &in asParent, const tString &in asChild, int alState)
{
if (alState != 1) return true;
Entity_SetActive("Pinky",true);
Pathfinder_Track_Clear("Pinky");
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky1", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky2", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky3", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky5", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky6", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky7", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky8", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky9", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Add("Pinky", "pinky10", 0.1, 9);
Pathfinder_Track_Start("Pinky", true);
AttackMeter_SetAttackerTeleportPosition("PinkySpawn");
return false;
}
10-12-2015, 08:56 AM
SteveR Offline

Threads: 1

Puppets are a little different to the other monsters in the game in the sense that they dynamically spawn when the player is being noisy. The idea is that you get the sense they are around and lurking in the vents.

Try setting the puppets aggression amount to something higher like 0.8 - I'm a little foggy right now as it's been a while since I actually touched the puppets code but I believe that should bring him out of hiding. Failing that check 02_06_theta_tunnels.hps for the OnWindowBreak() event and of course 02_07_theta_exit -- where all the puppets seem to have aggression amount set to 1.

There's a helper for this:
Puppet_SetAggressionAmount(asEntity, afAmount);

Or you can set it directly in the Entities properties (under puppet_state)

Of course, keep in mind if you follow my video tutorials - specifically the last one on creating a mod then with a small amount of work you could of course create a script that overrides the puppets existing mechanics and completely removes this hiding stuff! Smile

Hope that helps a bit.
10-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Cheers! I'll take a better look at it later and see if I can make something great out of it for the Community section of the wiki (unless you awesome people beat me to it Wink)

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Puppet_ForceHideAndWaitAppearance

is a very useful function as well. What it does is spawn it at one of the spawn areas you have placed for it, and then make it walk to an area that you specify. This is quite handy in places that dont have a lot of noise, or if you just want the puppet to appear without having to tell it exactly where the player is.

Eventually if left alone it should despawn though, so you wanna have more than one trigger around for this function.
10-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Find