Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soma wont use voicehandler subs in mod
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
Soma wont use voicehandler subs in mod

I have been doing some testing with the new voice files, and finally managed to make the player say a line. Except it is very much a work around, because despite SOMA maingame using this new fancy system, where you write your subtitles in the voicehandler and not in the lang file, SOMA demands(it tells me it cant find the category/entry, as if it were a bug) me to make a category for my map, and an entry for the line in the english lang. Weirdly enough it still requires me to have a subject in the .voice file, for the sake of comfort I guess? But as for whether or not that Subject contains any actual subtitles SOMA, could not care less, it just loads from the .lang.

So my question is how to make SOMA load subtitles from the .voice file, when it is a mod?

Additional info:

Function:
PHP Code: (Select All)
Voice_Play("1_mandusjoinstesting"); 

Subject name in .voice file: 1_mandusjoinstesting

Name of sound file: general_1_mandusjoinstesting_001_player_001.ogg
Location of sound file: mods\testordie\assets\lang\eng\voices\00_01_testmap_01

CategoryName in .lang file: voices_test_map_01
EntryName in .lang file: general_1_mandusjoinstesting_001_player_001

Name of Map: test_map_01
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015, 12:46 PM by WALP.)
10-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Soma wont use voicehandler subs in mod

I don't have a way to check/test this right now, but I might be able to guess what the game is doing here.

Voice_Play takes an name of a subject defined in the .voice file. Now, IIRC, one of the optional parameters to Voice_Play is a line to play, which makes me think that you can probably define multiple "lines" (recorded sentences) within a subject, by specifying several entries from the .lang file - and so make a kind of a "paragraph", connecting lines about a related subject; Voice_Play probably plays all of those lines by default.

Again, this is off of the top of my head, so you should open some of the existing .voice files and check if this is correct.

If so, then the game probably uses the .lang file for whatever the current language is, and plays the specified entries. This would enable them to write the same script code for all languages.
If I didn't get it quite right, it's probably something similar - so, if you figure it out, do post the solution here.
10-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Soma wont use voicehandler subs in mod

Not exactly certain what you were trying to say there, but thanks to it I have figured it out.

I was mistaken about SOMA not using .lang files, SOMA simply does not use the english.lang for it, instead there are individual .lang files for every map. To create these I first setup the lines with subtitles in Voice Handler. Once that is done I can auto-generate a .ogg file for the voice using a computer voice, which I can replace later when I get an actor. After that if I go to my user_settings.cfg(the one your mod is running), I can enable AutogenerateLangFiles. Next time I start up my mod, it will then use the info to generate a lang file, with my subtitles in it(note you wont see subtitles in same session you generated them, you have to restart again to see).

So in conclusion the .voice should not be thought of as a file that stores all of the subtitles, but as a project file that can be used to generate said subtitles, as well as storing a few extra settings for the different lines to use, like the character that owns them, etc.
10-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Find