Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How did you like the start of SOMA? (Until you arrive at Lambda)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Very boring. A bad way to start the game.
0%
0 0%
Most of it was boring, but set the game up somewhat at least.
0.75%
1 0.75%
Mediocre to play, but did the job it was supposed to.
3.73%
5 3.73%
Good, but not best part of the game. Set the game up nicely.
36.57%
49 36.57%
Perfect start of the game. Loved it.
58.96%
79 58.96%
Total 134 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Poll Regarding start of SOMA
predefeat Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Official Poll Regarding start of SOMA

I think everything we needed to tackle after Lamba was definitely introduced or alluded to from the beginning. I selected Good. I think the atmosphere in the beginning was incredible and the encounters with the first monsters were chilling.

There is one thing that I was surprised never came up again. There was this robot introduced from the very beginning that was used for the first scares. The last time it was seen was while you are crawling through the vents going into the power plant. Again and again you find yourself inside vents but you never encounter that robot from the beginning. I was thinking every time I jumped into the air vents: "Alright, this is the time. They wouldn't have introduced that enemy for nothing, I've got to encounter it here." I'm not disappointed, I'm sure he was just there to make the vents seem a little dangerous - maybe he was there to enforce the natural human fear of small spaces. I'm just surprised nothing happened once I was in its domain of sorts.

I truly believe the beginning of the game was well done.

You guys did a great job and I'm very excited for your next title.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015, 06:27 PM by predefeat.)
10-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

Well, it wasn't the best part of the game (that honor belongs to the abyss Smile), so I voted "good".

In general, 2015 was brilliant; the ideal horror story begins with an ordinary setting. Keeping it secret was a good call.

"Find the tracer fluid" was a clever introduction to SOMA's physics, and "find the door code" was a clever introduction to SOMA's puzzles. The subway was disappointingly noninteractive, but that's a minor complaint.

Upsilon was slightly too long. Amy, the underwater sections, and Lambda were top-notch.
10-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Find
Tryintodraw Offline

I find the game really really amazing... the start is just perfect for me at least, the whole game has a good pace while you progress.
10-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

I found the whole beginning (Simon's apartment, the appointment with Mr Munshi and waking up at Upsilon) excellent and one of the best parts of the game.
10-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

I was scared as hell of the beginning in Upsilon! Great work and the atmospheric horror was top notch, especially when the lights went out! Big Grin

10-31-2015, 02:04 AM
Find
muldjord Offline

Absolutely loved it. And also loved the tiny throwback in the middle with the gf in the appartment. The contrast made it real for me.
10-31-2015, 03:41 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

(10-30-2015, 05:51 PM)predefeat Wrote: There is one thing that I was surprised never came up again. There was this robot introduced from the very beginning that was used for the first scares. The last time it was seen was while you are crawling through the vents going into the power plant. Again and again you find yourself inside vents but you never encounter that robot from the beginning. I was thinking every time I jumped into the air vents: "Alright, this is the time. They wouldn't have introduced that enemy for nothing, I've got to encounter it here." I'm not disappointed, I'm sure he was just there to make the vents seem a little dangerous - maybe he was there to enforce the natural human fear of small spaces. I'm just surprised nothing happened once I was in its domain of sorts.

I think that's supposed to be the Construct (the same robot that comes to life and breaks down a door).
10-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Find
Tilo Swell Offline

To me the start feels like when i watched "The matrix 1" for the first time. Not plotwise, but the guessing part. The unknown. Constantly I'm asking myself whats going on. Is it all a dream, am I a robot, am I being offered a real truth about Simon and hes surrounding reality?

Short pros and cons:
(So far I just made it into lambda)
+ convaluted, deep story
+ not knowing what is going on and who you really are
+ setting
+ ability to interact with so many items
+ choice of getting lots of background plot by pickin up notes and pictures
+ suspense

- little horror elements so far

My first Game You made that I've played and Now I know I will try your other games too.
Looking forward playing through the whole game. Great job guys! Keep it up. ????

Tilo
10-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Find
jenben Offline

It was also a surprise to me, but a welcome one. It gave you pieces in a puzzle, and was crucial to the story and the themes of identity, soul, etc.--I liked the callback later when Simon wonders who he is anymore without the context of his old life.
10-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Find
Ucanzeee Offline

It kinda surprised me at near the end of the game, knowing that we are a robot. Well, if we were a robot, why would we care what happens to us in the first place? Why do we play as a robot anyway?

To comment about the section until going Lambda, I would say that it really made me OCD at some places. Where we were going through ventilation, really that ventilation was too long. I wanted to go check other rooms while I go somewhere, but I couldn't, it could take too much time otherwise. That really took me a while to find the truest way out there. The fact that I want to inspect everything, every object and everywhere, made me lose much time there. I was curious, but anybody would be curious. So please, don't make that long ventilations again, or meaningless long corridors.
10-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Find