Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOMA Screenshot Thread
Nautilus Offline

Threads: 1
RE: SOMA Screenshot Thread

haha My covers blown! :o Good detective work Corvo. Big Grin And thanks for the kind words/remembering me from the Bio forums. Smile Soma hooked me just like Bioshock 1/2/infinite did, so i had to take a million screenshots of it. Or maybe it was just the WAU compelling me to do that. :p

[Image: G7wfEBu.png]

[Image: YSFbEXc.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 04:55 AM by Nautilus.)
12-13-2015, 04:55 AM
Find
Nautilus Offline

[Image: dw1EiVW.png]

[Image: lRQOa03.png]
12-15-2015, 12:32 AM
Find
Nautilus Offline

Thanks, i appreciate that. Smile Usually i try to do 1-3 things in a screenshot. Capture the feeling/atmosphere you get while playing it (if its a big spacious room, how can i get that across in the screenshot? Or if its a moody, creepy area, how can i express that?). Next is just seeing if i can make the picture look interesting and fun to look at (lots of color? maybe no color? Dramatic angles? Or maybe seeing it from a completely non gameplay way, like out of the playable area). Finally, i want to show what the developers did in the best way possible (focus on detailed textures, or great lighting or maybe just try to capture the whole amazing scene at once). For the actual framing, i like to use the rule of thirds and a low-ish field of view if possible. Im always looking for a way to make the subject (or one of the subjects) stand out in the shot (place them in front of some fog, or surround them in the fog. Or even put them in front of a bright light or a very plain background). I also like depth in the pictures. Ill put something in the foreground, middle (where the main subject usually is) and the background. And finally, i sometimes frame out the picture (or part of the picture) with something. Seaweed, moss, tree branches, ect.

Soma was actually a somewhat difficult game to screenshot. It didnt have many grand, epic scale scenes. It didnt have tons of different characters. The areas were understandably tight and cramped (and werent vertical at all), so that made it hard to get exciting or dramatic angles. Outside in the ocean was obviously more spacious, but the heavy fog (something that worked perfectly for gameplay, making the water all murky and eerie) made it hard to make things really stand out in a shot (thats why i used reshade to give the ocean parts more contrast, while at the same time, still trying to keep the water murky and atmospheric). I couldnt adjust the fov. The architecture and design of the different areas wasnt super visually exciting (like say how the art deco look of rapture was. But again, it fit the story and gameplay of Soma's world perfectly). All that being said though, it was one of my all time favorite games to take shots of. I bought into that world so much and it was so visually cohesive and interesting to me, that i had as much fun flying around taking pics, as i did actually playing it. Smile

[Image: 5cTELGm.png]

[Image: dtDyba5.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2015, 01:27 AM by Nautilus.)
12-16-2015, 01:04 AM
Find
Nautilus Offline

[Image: HUIF4cm.png]

[Image: 1qe9Y8q.png]
12-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Find
Nautilus Offline

[Image: F2ssNhN.png]

Took me forever to balance that dumb skull on the chair.

[Image: XuDSLMB.png]
12-20-2015, 04:27 AM
Find
Nautilus Offline

[Image: BffhylG.png]

[Image: h5tabW1.png]
12-21-2015, 11:20 PM
Find
Nautilus Offline