Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[DIY] How to make Structure Gel
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16
Wink  [DIY] How to make Structure Gel

Here is a nice tutorial on how to make "ferrofluid": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQh1AT6qUE

Just stumbled upon this when watching diy tech projects on Youtube and HAD to share it with you...when i saw it i was amazed how much it resemnles Structure Gel.
Remember when Golasky tells Reed in the first Depth clip something like "it's a ferrofluid containing proteins and nano particles"? Well, this one is made from vegetal oil, that contains proteins and fats (explains why Golasky was drinking it for food) mixed with magnetic particles and nanoscopic particles of ferrite from the toner.

Apparently it is an oily substance with magnetic properties, a lubricant containing nanoscopic particles of magnetic ferrite. It even looks so much like the Structure Gel, with its black colour and the consistency of engine oil.
If the structure gel in SOMA behaves like this ferrofluid, this actually explains some things, like how WAU was able to manipulate it and it solidified only when electricity was applied. I believe the WAU controlled it by modulating an electromagnetic field (just like in the video a magnet is used to make the ferrofluid take shape) to transform the structure gel into basically anything.

My guess is that the Structure Gel was used at PATHOS-II as a multipurpose compound, meant to lubricate inaccessible machinery and maybe seal eventual breaches. This was done by controlling its electromagnetic properties, making it solidify in a certain area or travel to an exact spot via the pipes in order to solidify in that place or lubricate the area, or could have even been used to provide electric conductivity in places where a cable would be difficult to install. Once WAU learned of its magnetic properties and how to control it, it began using electromagnetism to shape it into anything it desires.

WARNING: Remember, do not drink the Structure Gel / ferrofluid! No seriously, don't! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 01:34 AM by Omnitool.)
11-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: [DIY] How to make Structure Gel

Pls don't drink.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
11-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

Does it taste good?

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
11-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Find
Shambles Offline

Threads: 4

(11-24-2015, 12:35 AM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: Does it taste good?

Spoiler below!
Akers certainly thought so.
11-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Find
kojack Offline

Threads: 0

[Image: J7qdMx9.jpg]
11-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Find
Striker Offline

Threads: 2

Hmmm...I bet a concoction of oatmeal with just enough water and Turkish coffee in a blender would yield an edible result
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM by Striker.)
11-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Find