Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using a lantern
happiestmedal33 Offline

Threads: 4
using a lantern

hey i want to know how to make it to where you can use a lantern, from like amnesia a machine for pigs/dark descent, and aswell maybe having the flashlight out from penumbra is basically what i mean, any ideas?
11-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Find
SteveR Offline

Threads: 1
RE: using a lantern

(11-19-2015, 11:34 PM)happiestmedal33 Wrote: hey i want to know how to make it to where you can use a lantern, from like amnesia a machine for pigs/dark descent, and aswell maybe having the flashlight out from penumbra is basically what i mean, any ideas?

I recommend you take a look at the tutorial videos (Stickied) and then when finished you'll want to override the default flashlight behaviour. This is partially demonstrated in video #4

Checking out Thomas' intro to HPL3 videos are really useful - since basically everything you'll need to know about overriding script files and where to go to add new key assignments (G/F if you're doing it Penumbra style) is covered in these videos.

While the specifics aren't addressed - this would be very simple to do. You just need to change the light for your lantern effect, perhaps a pointlight or increasing the fov of the spotlight until it looks how you want.

Hope that helps, can't really go in to major detail right now but that should at least point you in the right direction to figure stuff out!
11-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Find
happiestmedal33 Offline

yeah i havn't looked so in depth with that flashlight thing i just want to know if its possible to have the model of a flashlight in your hand cause i didn't really like how you have a flashlight but it doesn't have a model
11-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

if you take a look at some of the player models in editor, you will see that Simon has a light shoulder mounted of his diving suit, hence why there is no flashlight model.
11-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Find
happiestmedal33 Offline

ik that, the game made it acceptable for it to have no model but i just want to use one lol
11-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22

In one of my screenshots on the screenshot thread, I've got a lantern model that I've attached to the player's hand that does a good job projecting light around the player. It doesn't really look natural as the default hand poses doesn't really have a pose for carrying a lantern, but yeah, it's certainly possible.
11-22-2015, 05:41 AM
Find
SteveR Offline

Threads: 1

Yes you could do this with some playing around, but you would still have to look at modifying the scripts and overriding existing functionality. So be sure to check out the tutorials available around the site.

Seems what you were asking was how to actually display the model. This isn't something that is supported "out of the box" - but you could probably start by playing around with the following:

- Player hand animations
- Equip/Unequip tool
- Look in player.hps and see where the flashlight is activated/deactivated

However, you are going to run in to some interesting situations where you'll probably end up wanting to use the tool/inventory system to equip something - thus ending up with two sets of hands on screen or something else. So you'll need to start checking certain conditions.

On the surface it's quite simple, however just be away that it will get a bit fiddly and require some work.

I would probably start by creating another entry based off the omnitool and treat this as a placeholder object until you have it behaving as expected.
11-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Find
happiestmedal33 Offline

alright hopefully it will just jump out at me and be easy
11-23-2015, 01:42 AM
Find