Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spiders
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Spiders

I liked everything in Penumbra except that you have to kill Red and Amabel Sad

Meh...
03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Find
Power_Infinity Offline

Threads: 1

(03-10-2010, 10:50 PM)gbee Wrote: Just from a story POV, how are they going to continually explain the evolution of giant spiders?

Personally I hated the spiders in Penumbra, not because I'm an arachnophobe but because they were frustratingly difficult to avoid and very difficult to kill. Then again, I'm probably one of the few people who loved Requiem because there were no monsters at all. I liked Prenumbra for the puzzles, exploration and story telling with a creepy twist, not the running and hiding from various creatures. Less is more ...

I completely disagree. The terror of being helpless and chased is something that no other games do anymore....except Penumbra. But in Overture, killing the spiders is really quite easy. Just crouch and swing your pickaxe away.
03-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Find
gbee Offline

Threads: 1

(03-11-2010, 11:04 PM)Power_Infinity Wrote: I completely disagree. The terror of being helpless and chased is something that no other games do anymore....except Penumbra. But in Overture, killing the spiders is really quite easy. Just crouch and swing your pickaxe away.

The great thing about personally held opinions is that we're both right Smile No, I'm not a big horror fan, I loved the Penumbra series but different reasons. The monsters, particularly towards the end of Overture/Requiem were more of an irritation to me. I don't mind being scared, or a creepy atmosphere, or even being helpless but in small doses otherwise the effect is quickly replaced with indifference.

Fwiw, I just couldn't get the timing right to kill spiders effectively, they'd strike and back off between my swings, maybe because the games didn't run that smoothly on my computer (can't explain why, it should have been fast enough). I could sometimes kill individuals before they killed me, but more than one and it was certain death if I chose to fight, where possible my preferred tactic was just to run. Running was also what the designers wanted you to do in most cases so ...

More importantly I guess I'd have to say seeing spiders, which the first game made clear were specific to those caves in Greenland re-appearing in an old gothic castle in Europe (well you don't find such buildings anywhere else) would hurt immersion and the story IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM by Benny.)
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Find
chadwick Offline

Threads: 0

While I won't go so far as to say that my purchase depends on it (because I just preordered it), I would like it noted that, as an arachnophobe, the only possible way I personally am going to be able to enjoy Amnesia: The Dark Descent is if it is lacking in the eight-legged enemies department. I admit I just preordered this game, in ignorance, based on horror factor alone, and perhaps in retrospect hoping that the developers of Penumbra DON'T include spiders in a game is a little silly (though if I'm lucky it won't be).

So while I think one or two normal spiders here or there would be good if only for decor (and to creep me out a bit), if this game does include large tarantula-esque beasts that I have to fight I'm going to be sad, because this will be another horror game I won't get to enjoy because of the anxiety-attack levels of freakout those things cause me. In any case I AM happy to toss $10 Frictional Games' way if only to support another creepy horror game.

So, Mr. (and Ms.) Frictional Games developers, please consider this another vote in the "Please don't include large octomobile enemies in your creepy-awesome game, if you can help it" category.
05-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Eh, they had spiders in Penumbra, you'd think they put in something new in Amnesia. And I think they will.
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Find
CoolKakashi Offline

Threads: 11

Damnit! Confused The most scariest monsters in a game for me a spiders! The second thing is if they can jump on your face! Big Grin
05-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Find
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4

Kind of a late response but what the hell
(03-11-2010, 12:32 PM)TheLittleGarfield Wrote: I liked everything in Penumbra except that you have to kill Red and Amabel Sad
Well, I kind of agree with you but it wouldn't be very scary if you have someone right next to you helping you. When they're talking to you through a radio or an occasional "video chat", it's not the same thing.

Also, more technically, the modelling in this game is not the best and... he just can't do faces.
Spoiler below!
I mean, if you look closey at Amabel after you kill her, she has a dude's face!! The same face that you see shortly before it on a dead guy (where you find the keycard).

No offence to the game developer, in every other aspect the graphics are amazing
05-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(05-08-2010, 08:45 PM)NeatNit Wrote:
Spoiler below!
I mean, if you look closey at Amabel after you kill her, she has a dude's face!! The same face that you see shortly before it on a dead guy (where you find the keycard).

In case you didn't know:

It's an easter egg. That's H. P. Lovecraft's face.

05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Website Find
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4

Oh.

Wow he's ugly.
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Find
Cheesezorz Offline

Threads: 2

I'm sure they'll add spiders in Amnesia just for you.
05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Find