Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spiders
zxc Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Spiders

I am arachnophobic, but it doesn't stop me from playing games: I just freak out completely and run like crazy. When I was about 10 or 11 and playing Diablo 2 for the first time, I could only get past Act I as a necromancer because I could summon an army that would be a buffer between the giant spiders and myself in the Catacombs Level 2. The maggots also freaked me out. Argh. Those maggots still freak me out.

The spiders in Overture were scary, and the various spidery environments you had to explore were really creepy. The eggs were ingenious. I never did kill any spiders in Overture, just ran from them and shone a flashlight on them to keep them at a distance.

I hope there are no spiders or creepy-crawlies in Amnesia, mostly because I can't imagine how they'd fit in. Caves are one thing, but haunted manors / castles are quite another. A well-made survival-horror game set in a castle is basically my dream come true. Especially with that map editor. I've always wanted to design my own haunted mansion. I'm going delirious just thinking about the possibilities!

Oh and I live in Australia, goddamn poisonous spiders! Censorship too...

Frictional Games, you rock. Thomas I love reading your blog posts.
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Find
mikezenox Offline

(06-04-2010, 04:30 PM)zxc Wrote: I hope there are no spiders or creepy-crawlies in Amnesia, mostly because I can't imagine how they'd fit in. Caves are one thing, but haunted manors / castles are quite another.

Really? Abandoned mansions/casltes are the FIRST place I would expect to run into a mass of spiders.

I hope there are spiders, but really I would just love more enemy variants. Anything to keep you out of that "safe zone" feeling.
06-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Find
zxc Offline

(06-06-2010, 03:08 AM)mikezenox Wrote:
(06-04-2010, 04:30 PM)zxc Wrote: I hope there are no spiders or creepy-crawlies in Amnesia, mostly because I can't imagine how they'd fit in. Caves are one thing, but haunted manors / castles are quite another.

Really? Abandoned mansions/casltes are the FIRST place I would expect to run into a mass of spiders.

I hope there are spiders, but really I would just love more enemy variants. Anything to keep you out of that "safe zone" feeling.

I suppose spiders would keep me on my toes though! Spiders in abandoned mansions and castles certainly, but not sure about spiders the size of the ones in Overture. Actually, smaller enemies would still work, because they'd be really hard to kill, and you don't really want killable enemies in Amnesia Tongue Maybe ... a grue would work
06-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

A really small enemy that would be hard to kill is what you would call "frustrating." How about using spiders solely as part of the environment, having them crawling on walls or suspending themselves every so often? No actual threat.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
06-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Website Find
zxc Offline

(06-06-2010, 03:45 AM)Lee Wrote: A really small enemy that would be hard to kill is what you would call "frustrating." How about using spiders solely as part of the environment, having them crawling on walls or suspending themselves every so often? No actual threat.

But if you have no actual way of killing them (like most of Black Plague) then you wouldn't try to, so it'd work. Spiders in the environment would be good too. Spiderwebs will almost certainly be in the environment.

Edit: What about rats? I remember reading that there would be sewer environments, so, rats perhaps?
06-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

In the teaser there were, according to developer notes, a fish and another small critter in the video. Someone apparently noticed that the other creature is in the hallway near the meat locker and that it apparently is either a mouse or a large bug.

I want plenty of little critters.

06-06-2010, 04:14 AM
Website Find
ultra Offline

Threads: 2

horror games are meant to scare the shit out of you and if you are an arachnophobic then it will be even more scary. if you dont like to be scared why play horror games.
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

The thing is that various phobias are so bad that they can make someone faint or have some sort of bodily malfunction. There are certain lines the developers probably shouldn't cross, because it's not beneficial to harm a player's psyche so much that she falls unconscious. To some people a phobia of spiders is more real than even getting chased by a skeletal figure with an axe in real life.

06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(06-06-2010, 03:29 PM)Lee Wrote: The thing is that various phobias are so bad that they can make someone faint or have some sort of bodily malfunction. There are certain lines the developers probably shouldn't cross, because it's not beneficial to harm a player's psyche so much that she falls unconscious. To some people a phobia of spiders is more real than even getting chased by a skeletal figure with an axe in real life.

But the back cover of the game shows that game contains:
[Image: pegi_fear.gif]

I know it means that game contains elements of "fear", but still... Tongue

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2010, 11:15 PM by Yuhaney.)
06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Website Find
ultra Offline

Threads: 2

if they just use spiders as decoration then it whould not be that scary.maybe there will just be a few spiders that crawl on the walls and stuff like that
06-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Find