Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Overture - other Languages
dancle Offline

Threads: 1
Penumbra Overture - other Languages

I buyed the game from the Humble Indie Pack, but i cant find other languages, only english. Where can i get the other languages for this game?
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
RE: Penumbra Overture - other Languages

It's English only.
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Website Find
dancle Offline

(05-05-2010, 06:18 PM)jens Wrote: It's English only.

Sure, i know about a german version "Penumbra - Im Halbschatten". Its the first episode. Again, where can i get the German lang-file?

The german page: http://penumbra-game.de/

What is about the Penumbra - Collection? Its English only?
05-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It comes with the boxed version of the game sold in Germany.
05-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Website Find
dancle Offline

Ok thx, German would be nice, but the game is very great in English too Wink
05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Find
simplexDrei Offline

Threads: 0

(05-05-2010, 07:08 PM)dancle Wrote: Ok thx, German would be nice, but the game is very great in English too Wink
You can use the german language file from the demo:
Copy the file redist\config\Deutsch.lang to the corresponding directory of your Penumbra installation.

Seems to work pretty good.
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Find
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4

somewhat off-topic

I don't get why german people want their games to be in german so much. If my games were in hebrew, they would have never been my games. Games are best in their original language.

Is german some sort of super-language that sounds really really awesome? In any other case I simply don't understand.
05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Well you see, in all languages there are things called idioms. They are phrases that cannot be translated into other languages for fear of making absolutely no sense. For instance, Clarence uses these a lot (Daddy popped his clogs, etc etc). Even someone who knows a lot of English may not understand games, movies, or literature with a bunch of idioms.

Also, if every game was in its native language, people who don't know German would be missing out on Far Cry. People who don't know Russian/Ukrainian would be missing out on STALKER, Metro, and Cryostasis. I doubt someone like Grodz Andrey, who uses a translator (I think), would be able to understand Amnesia or Penumbra without a Russian localization.

Also, Italian is the super-language. Everything is so musical in it.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Website Find
tacc Offline

Threads: 5

(05-09-2010, 05:04 PM)NeatNit Wrote: Is german some sort of super-language that sounds really really awesome? In any other case I simply don't understand.

Könnte das vielleicht daran liegen das die Leute, die ihr Spiel in einer anderen Sprache als der originalen spielen wollen, kein Englisch können aber trotzdem etwas verstehen wollen?
05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Find
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4

I have seen more than one german person posting on a forum about the german translation, when he can clearly understand English well enough.
Idioms, as you said, are "phrases that cannot be translated into other languages for fear of making absolutely no sense". So a german (or any other) translation would clearly make no sense, won't it?
I have seen many many miserable failed attempts to translate English to Hebrew, and it sickens me that some people think that's good. It's so disgustingly pathetic that it's funny.

I'm not saying that localization is a bad thing. I was just asking about German in particular Tongue

also I hate google-translating posts, please avoid doing that.. :/
05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Find