Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Is the hand ugly
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
25.00%
23 25.00%
No
75.00%
69 75.00%
Total 92 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The hand is very ugly
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4
The hand is very ugly

In the trailer, when I first saw it, I actually laughed out loud when he first holds the lantern. It took me completely out of the mood, because it's just so damn ugly.

I did not mean to hurt any feelings, but I really think this should be improved before the game is out.

PS I pre-purchased a looong time ago.

Edit: crap I wrote hend in the poll question ><
05-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Find
mikezenox Offline

Threads: 0
RE: The hand is very ugly

Weird, but I actually liked the hand alot. Even more so I suppose when compared to the flashlight/glow-stick model from Penumbra.

IMO it looks very natural, unlike some games where the hands can look pretty deformed, especially when holding something like a gun or lantern etc. (Stalker always bugged me a little in that aspect.)

For those of you who couldn't be arsed to go watch the video again, I took some pics (from various angles/light sources), though it looks better in motion:
[Image: 2iuxonn.jpg]

I like the way it looks, maybe you could elaborate on exactly what you dislike about it?
05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Find
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4

The shape is wrong. It should be wider. Also, the back of the hand should be smoother - I know it has those 'bulges' when you hold something heavy, but it isn't that noticable. Light does not really make it stand out that much. It's a detail better left not added in my opinion.

Also I think the thumb's position is a liiitle off Tongue

The hand just looks.. Old. Old and weak. Is the player a grandma?
05-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

It looks fine to me. One thing, though... when the player leans the lantern leans too. Shouldn't it follow gravity?
05-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

It would be rather sexy for you guys to exploit your physics engine on handheld objects.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
05-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Website Find
Cheesezorz Offline

Threads: 2

The hand looks sexy enough. It looks like the character hasn't eaten in some time though, but perhaps it's intended.
05-17-2010, 04:48 AM
Find
naturon Offline

Threads: 1

I'm just glad there is one this time around... No hands in Penumbra felt very weird so this is a progressive step up from that. I think it looks decent enough.
05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Find
Skaruts Offline

Threads: 11

I think the hand doesn't look ugly. It's not a perfect hand I must admit, but I've seen so much worse in other games or mods...

The only thing I noticed that "turns me a bit off" is that when you lean, the hand and the lantern both follow that motion. In reality the hand would stay still, or mostly still. So you'd probably get the hand and lantern out of sight while leaning.

But also like nofsky said, if the hand would lean with your body (for some reason...) then the lantern would stay vertical and so would the hand move to accomodate for that.
And this leads me to imagine if you look at the ceiling while holding the lantern. I foresee the lantern going horizontal in that situation. Big Grin

But I quicly excuse this for indie devs... I don't excuse it for professional devs, tho, and all the "great" FP games that have been coming out in the latest 2000s still have this stupid mistake all over. Which makes me find them even more disgusting...
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

I took another look at the teaser video and it seems to be like Skratus said, that the lantern follows your view as you look up and down too. It would just look silly if you're looking at the ceiling and the lantern is stiff like it doesn't follow gravity.

The easiest way around this would probably be to lock the lantern at the position it is when you're looking straight ahead, so that if you look up/down or lean it will stay where it is and just move out of view.

Of course, this is a minor problem but it would surely help with immersion if it doesn't look completely unrealistic Tongue
05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Find
Azathoth Offline

Threads: 0

(05-16-2010, 09:33 AM)NeatNit Wrote: In the trailer, when I first saw it, I actually laughed out loud when he first holds the lantern. It took me completely out of the mood, because it's just so damn ugly.

I did not mean to hurt any feelings, but I really think this should be improved before the game is out.

Quote:Nearly mad, I found myself yet able to throw out a hand to ward off the foetid apparition which pressed so close; when in one cataclysmic second of cosmic nightmarishness and hellish accident my fingers touched the rotting outstretched paw of the monster beneath the golden arch

Clearly the protagonist in the game is none other than The Outsider Wink
05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Find