Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Do you like 2D or 3D games more?
CoolUserName Offline

Threads: 1
Do you like 2D or 3D games more?

I feel like its all about the race for better graphics when it comes to 3D. Id love to see a 2D with even half the budget of a AAA game, with cut scenes looking like they are out of Lion King or other 2D animated film. Anyway, whats your opinion ?
12-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Do you like 2D or 3D games more?

2D games have a beautiful charm to them. I kinda miss that. The only times I see them now are when people try to make retro games. There's a lot of potential in 2D.

Similarly, 2D anime is way better than 3D "anime" in my opinion.

12-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Find
CoolUserName Offline

And do you mind me asking how old you are? It seems that younger people prefer 3D and i personally think that its because they grew up playing games in 3D and never experienced the 90's Sega and ps1 games and such.
12-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

I don't know if I can mention myself here, but as a kid I stuck to the PS2 alot with both 3D and 2D games. I loved every single one of them and they all had their own dash of creativity and awesomeness to them.

Derp.
12-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

The format doesn't really matter to me so long as the art direction is cohesive and functional

12-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Find
Tybobobo Offline

I would claim there is no direct competition between 2D and 3D games. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages, and people can have various of reasons for choosing one over the other.

I prefer to work with 2D, as I feel it gives you more freedom in creativity (not to mention it is easier). Some of the things you do in a 2D game might be weird or not look good at all in 3D.

To bring an example to the table; I prefer Mario in 2D; or even 2.5D with a "classic" platformer style gameplay.
[Image: SHMsipL.png] [Image: tr3fAM7.png]

Mario in 3D is a completely different experience than the 2D, but can still be considered a "type" of platformer genre, but offers a completely different experience than the 2D.
[Image: 9ILPufv.png]

In the end I think it really is up to how you like to play - and type of gameplay.
Some gameplay can be better in 2D than in 3D and vica verca. Smile
12-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I'm only 19, and I actually grew up playing games on the Gamecube (was kinda late to games), like The Wind Waker and Mario Kart DD. Though, I also had a Gameboy Advance SP, with games like Yoshi's Island, Mario & Luigi SS and (borrowed) A Link to the Past, all of which are 2D games. I loved them all.

Back in the day though, I can imagine preferring 3D games as a kid, because they're pretty. I did learn that graphics don't make the game, and today I really appreciate 2D. I don't think of it as nostalgia, I think of it as an entirely different style/genre. It's like preferring green or yellow. Both can be great or terrible, depending on execution.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2015, 01:28 PM by Mudbill.)
12-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Aw dude Double Dash is the best! I love that game c:

Same sort of situation, 20- ah fuck it round up - 21 here, GBA SP was my first "console" (handheld), never owned any of the more... hardcore(?) consoles (xbox ps), mostly focussed on PC games.

I like 2D for:
Platformers, RPGs with turn-based combat, basically anything where depth-perception could be an issue

I like 3D for:
Shooters, racing games, RPGs with real-time combat

Anything else, I'm impartial

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
12-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

I miss hand-drawn art of Baldur's gate, Icewind dale and Planescape torment.
Wish we would have more similar games.
12-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Find
CoolUserName Offline

Thanks guys, you may not have noticed but i tricked you into doing one of my surveys, in the form of a discussion. Your help means a lot to me and my project. Stay frosty guys.
12-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Find