Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How I got it working in Fedora 13
WeatherGod Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago How I got it working in Fedora 13

It was a bit troublesome, but I finally got Penumbra: Overture running on Fedora 13. I am on the low-end of the specs: 512 MB of memory and NVidia GeForce Ti 4. So, I have decided to post my adventures here in the hopes that it helps others. Note that I am still wading through exactly what I did so I may post revisions to my notes.

First, the default nouveau drivers for my GeForce Ti 4 are not sufficient for this game, so you will need the proprietary drivers from NVidia. For me, this would be version 96.43.16 (which is a legacy driver, but still supported by NVidia). In order to install this driver, you will need to make sure you have the packages kernel-PAE-devel and kernel-headers. Note that kernel-devel is not the same as kernel-PAE-devel. If you are using the PAE kernel, you will need kernel-PAE-devel (this took me a while to realize).

Next, you will need to turn off modesetting as the driver does not support it. Edit /etc/grub.conf and add 'nomodeset' to the end of your kernel line. Then edit /etc/inittab to boot into runlevel 3. Reboot. Log in as root and run the nvidia installer. This should complete all that is needed for the graphics card on fedora 13.

Now, the Penumbra installer includes a lib/ directory that includes several shared objects that Overture depends on. However, I have found that to make Penumbra: Overture run properly, you need to "let Linux be Linux". Most of these library files are available through Fedora 13 and should be used. So, move that lib/ directory elsewhere (I renamed it to orig_libs/).

Then, you will need to install several packages if they are not installed already:
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
openal-soft
freealut
SDL
SDL_ttf
SDL_image

In addition, you will need the nonfree package called "Cg" from RPMFusion.

I hope this is helpful, and I will update this thread as I get new information.
05-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Find
Caterpillar Offline

Threads: 27
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: How I got it working in Fedora 13

well done Wink
Hope you will enjoy it
06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

You should be able to keep the provided "Cg" libs and just move the rest out of the way.. As the Cg is a Binary only library so it will be the same as the one provided by Nvidia (unless nvidia has something newer that like version 2.2 out)

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Website Find
Caterpillar Offline

Threads: 27

(06-15-2010, 03:55 AM)Urkle Wrote: You should be able to keep the provided "Cg" libs and just move the rest out of the way.. As the Cg is a Binary only library so it will be the same as the one provided by Nvidia (unless nvidia has something newer that like version 2.2 out)

Mmh it is something similar to what we've done for the pulse audio libraries? (Removing old libraries in the game to use newer in the Operating System)
06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Find