Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Keeps Crashing
madcapgrin Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago Game Keeps Crashing

I am in level when you have met the first robot that thinks it's a person (Carl I believe) and it is asking you to get help for it. The game keeps crashing at different places and times in the level (so it's not a specific action or visual that seems to trigger it). The crash involves the screen freezing and the cursor becomes the Windows 7 "hourglass." At this point, the only way to get out of the program is with crtl-alt-del and closing it in the task manager.

I have followed the troubleshooting thread instructions and have extensively researched the problem elsewhere on the internet, but to no avail. Thank you for your time.

Attached is my hpl.log. - EDIT: I have removed this file since I have now solved my problem and I prefer the information in the file to not be online.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 09:40 AM by madcapgrin.)
12-13-2015, 07:22 AM
Find
madcapgrin Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Game Keeps Crashing

It seems that I have finally fixed it! I have been playing the game, crash free, for over an hour now.

What I Did:

I had altered file permissions previously, per the suggestion in the troubleshooting guide, but, due to that direction being quite vague as to how to give it the permissions suggested, I hadn't gotten it right before.

What finally helped was to look at the security tab of the properties of a file on my Desktop and compare the entries under "Group or user names" to the ones on the Soma.exe file. I found one that the Soma.exe file didnt have, so I added it with the "Edit" button and gave that entry full control. Just for good measure, I did the same to the Soma folder to ensure that all the other contained files had the same permissions.

More clear directions, or maybe a simple link to this post of mine, should probably be put in the troubleshooter.

Thanks, Frictional Games, for having great forums for getting help, and for such great games!
12-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Find