Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why was the "roach" not implemented into the Penumbra Series?
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12
Why was the "roach" not implemented into the Penumbra Series?

The Penumbra Tech demos only enemy, besides the unfinished hunter, was the roach. The monster was very distinct and had character. Obviously the roach was fully animated, textured, and had sounds so why were these resources wasted by not implementing a complete creature into the penumbra series?

Picture of Roach below

[Image: screen13.jpg]
06-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Why was the "roach" not implemented into the Penumbra Series?

I'm guessing it was because it doesn't really fit with the Penumbra story/setting. All enemies are slight mutations of a real animals, so I'm not sure where the roach would come from. Besides, it looks a bit stupid :p
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

I think it comes off more ridiculous than scary, so I'm not sad that it didn't appear again after the tech demo.
06-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Find
LeadTheWay Offline

Threads: 0

(06-30-2010, 12:45 PM)nofsky Wrote: I'm guessing it was because it doesn't really fit with the Penumbra story/setting. All enemies are slight mutations of a real animals, so I'm not sure where the roach would come from. Besides, it looks a bit stupid :p

It looked cute ^^
06-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

I think it looks like a butterfly. So most people think it is kinda underwhelming, personally though, I´m creeped out by butterflies so it works for me.
06-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Find
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12

To be honest I did not find any of the enemies in Penumbra to be scary. The atmosphere is what makes the game so foreboding. For instance the wolf enemies have no feet.This may be a small critique, but small details like this can remove some of the immersion.

The reason I would include the roach would be, not because its scary, but to introduce more creature variety into the game.
06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Find