Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Resident Evil 4 beta versions
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48
Exclamation  Resident Evil 4 beta versions

Resident evil 4 is probably the console game with the most tormented development cycle of all time. Originally scheduled for Playstation 2 in 2001, the Capcom game had to wait four years and as many betas to take the final form. The first version, as it is well known, became Devil May Cry because the build was deemed too action-oriented to be part of the series. Nevertheless, the trappings of the Resident Evil saga were plentiful, from the fixed camera to the haunting environments.

Gamers were shocked by the announcement that Resident Evil 4 would be exclusively on the Gamecube. The first Gamecube beta was presented at TGS 2002, showing Leon in a strange metallic structure (later confirmed to be an Airship) fighting a bizarre fog creature. The few words spoken in the trailer were about the Cradle of the Progenitor Virus, and apparently the story centered on the assault of our heroes to Umbrella Europe. Moreover, Leon was probably infected and wielded odd supernatural powers.

The following year (2003) Resident Evil 4 was shown again. This version had different features and a new emphasis on the supernatural that seemed to bring the game closer to Silent Hill. In this new trailer, Leon (who still had some strange power) was inside a mansion infested with some strange presence, notably a strong creature with a hook. An extended video of this beta is featured on Biohazard 4 Secret DVD, where we can also see the Killers Armors still present in the final game on Ashley’s stage.

Although this last beta seemed to be the most promising and polished version yet, Capcom decided to start over again. The third beta, which according to the programmers featured zombies, was not even presented to the public. Finally, the Resident Evil 4 we are most familiar with was shown at E3 2004. The Resident Evil 4 Unseen Saga didn’t end there, though. After about a year of the Gamecube release, Resident Evil 4 was ported to the Playstation 2 with a few new locations.

Moreover, the trial version of the Gamecube version was hacked, revealing the names of many rooms of the various betas and really cool items like the Optical Camo and the Infrared Goggles. It seems that the programmers were still making changes to the game until the very end of development. Knowing Capcom, maybe even the setting of the last chapter of Umbrella Chronicles is lifted from the scrapped zombie version of Resident Evil 4.

BETA 1: Fog Version

BETA 2: Hooked Man Version

BETA 3 was never presented to the public...

Now my question is, why for god's sake did they change resident evil 4 in the non horror, action game it is today?

08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Resident Evil 4 beta versions

(08-05-2010, 07:54 PM)Leon Kennedy Wrote: Now my question is, why for god's sake did they change resident evil 4 in the lame game it is today?

While I do think those trailers look like they could have been pretty cool games, I wholeheartedly resent the fact that you referred to RE4 as "lame". Undecided
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Resident Evil 4 beta versions

Thanks for the history lesson. It was a pretty fun game... not really scary but it had that feeling of panic when you were surrounded by enemies. I liked that Smile
08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Find