Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TIP how to lower the size of your terrain
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
TIP how to lower the size of your terrain

You know that moment when you made a terrain too big just to be safe? maybe you want it smaller to safe performance or something? this is how you do that:

1.Go to the folder of your map
-You may want to make a backup just in case.

2. Open the file [Insert My Map Name].hpm_Terrain_heightmap.dds in a image editting software such as gimp or photoshop.

3. Scale the image to a lower resolution

-Make sure it's power of 2
-Keep the proportions 1:1
-Recommend not going further than halving your heightmap, since there is a loss in accuracy that might mess up navigating your terrain.(example 1024x1024 -> 512x512)
-If your terrain is non-playable background scenery you can probably get away with going even lower, like if 1024x1024 you could go 256x256.

4. Open the file [Insert My Map Name].hpm_Terrain in notepad++ or similar.

5. Set HeightMapSize to the new resolution, so if your texture is 512x512 you set it as:
HeightMapSize="512"

6. Tweak GeometryPatchSize, TexturePatchSize, and UnitSize to your preference
-You can preview the changes if you keep the level editor open
-Everytime you save the [Insert My Map Name].hpm_Terrain file, leveleditor will tell you it was modified outside level editor, and ask if you want to reload the level. Say yes and you changes will show up within 10 seconds of loading
-Some combinations of settings will make the game/level editor crash. just undo it and load it up again if this happens.
-If you are unsure about these settings either experiment with them or look them up in the terrain documentation.

7. Using the terrain tools, fix any undesired changes the downscale may have caused.
-With stuff like terrain going through floors using the flatten tool is very efficient.
-everytime you change the [Insert My Map Name].hpm_Terrain this step may have to be redone.
01-16-2016, 05:24 PM
Find