Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

One small request; It is not Constantinople it is Istanbul!
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13
RE: One small request; It is not Constantinople it is Istanbul!

This is a story driven game, so calling the city Istanbul when, in 1839, it was known as Constantinople just makes the story weaker and less believable.

If you are, as you say, very sensitive about this then that is your problem. I'm sure the developers had no intention to be insensitive when using the name but were just trying to be accurate to the time period the game takes place in.
09-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-06-2010, 02:09 PM)nofsky Wrote: This is a story driven game, so calling the city Istanbul when, in 1839, it was known as Constantinople just makes the story weaker and less believable.

If you are, as you say, very sensitive about this then that is your problem. I'm sure the developers had no intention to be insensitive when using the name but were just trying to be accurate to the time period the game takes place in.

On a side node... If people are sensitive they shouldn't buy it...

It is a horror game after all Tongue

[Image: 16455.png]
09-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Find
Texhnolyzed Offline

Threads: 2

Wether it is called Istanbul or Constantinople depends on the scenario I think.
I mean, if the message is written by a turkish character, then maybe it should be Istanbul.
But if the message is written by a non-turkish character, then it would be Constantinople.

I find it illogical to call a City by its current name instead of its real name refering to a certain period.
It seems like, video game players are idiots and don't have any culture, and don''t care about it because "it's just a game". I found it rather depraciating for players and video games in general...
Besides, as it was said, the story would loss credit...

I wouldn't like a game taking place in 52 BC in Paris call it Paris instead of Lutetia just because some other game would do it... this is nonsense.

All this to say, Frictional Games rocks for doing their job very well Smile
09-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Find
Akong Offline

Threads: 1

(09-06-2010, 12:34 PM)acare Wrote: Date is now 2010 and game date is not important...
The game date is not important? It's the other way 'round, mate. Current day knowledge should in no way apply to a game set in the past. That would be akin to having Daniel use current day slang. That's just not appropriate.

Also, I'm offended by the lantern. Please change it to a space shuttle.
09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Well, what is claimed here is not something about game, developers or Frictional Games itself. This is something important to the people of this region.

acare just wants to know if the developers made this intentionally or not. If it is intentionally, and if it is fundamental to the story. And it would be a pleasure for me to get an answer from developers, as they always are kind to us, players. I myself wouldn't mind if it stays like that because when I localize the game I'll change it to Istanbul eventually (which is an important part of localization).

But making fun of one's sensitivity is not welcome I think.

09-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Website Find
Akong Offline

Threads: 1

I believe the developers know basic geography. I also assume they know a little history. I think it's safe to say that they did this intentionally.

People's sensitivities can not always be accommodated. If the game was in Turkish, it would be Istanbul, of course, that's only logical. But in a (Prussian, I believe?) castle in 1839, it just wouldn't make any sense.

Censorship is a sensitivity of mine.
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Find
acare Offline

Threads: 4

(09-06-2010, 07:22 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Well, what is claimed here is not something about game, developers or Frictional Games itself. This is something important to the people of this region.

acare just wants to know if the developers made this intentionally or not. If it is intentionally, and if it is fundamental to the story. And it would be a pleasure for me to get an answer from developers, as they always are kind to us, players. I myself wouldn't mind if it stays like that because when I localize the game I'll change it to Istanbul eventually (which is an important part of localization).

Yeap, that it is. I just want simple answer from devs nothing more.
09-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Website Find
onewolf Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:Also, I'm offended by the lantern. Please change it to a space shuttle.

Big Grin
09-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

Come on, you know someone had to.

Been a long time gone, Constantinople. Still it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night
09-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-06-2010, 10:11 PM)acare Wrote:
(09-06-2010, 07:22 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Well, what is claimed here is not something about game, developers or Frictional Games itself. This is something important to the people of this region.

Yeap, that it is. I just want simple answer from devs nothing more.

Hahaha... Nice try...

(09-06-2010, 08:26 AM)acare Wrote: Hi, I am from Turkey and on the first level change (to refinery) I saw a writing on the loading screen and it is saying Turkish Delight and consulate of Constantinople. But this city is called Istanbul since the year 1453. I hope you will change the name of Constantinople to Istanbul in the release version of Amnesia. We are very sensitive about this, thank you.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Find