Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Keep FG going?
wcer Offline

Threads: 7
Keep FG going?

Someone slid in a link somewhere that Amnesia almost got canned, and indeed in order to pull it off Frictional had to chop salaries and such.

I think everyone here is obviously hoping Amnesia will be the hit that Penumbra deserved to be, but a question does come to mind;

How many copies does FG need to move to stay in business (and ideally make us more great titles)? I appreciate that this sort of information is not typically made public, but I know there are some (perhaps even plenty) of us who would gladly buy multiple copies, or even flat out donate if that's what it came to to help meet whatever target is needed.
09-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Find
Sajber Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Keep FG going?

(09-07-2010, 06:44 PM)wcer Wrote: Someone slid in a link somewhere that Amnesia almost got canned, and indeed in order to pull it off Frictional had to chop salaries and such.

I think everyone here is obviously hoping Amnesia will be the hit that Penumbra deserved to be, but a question does come to mind;

How many copies does FG need to move to stay in business (and ideally make us more great titles)? I appreciate that this sort of information is not typically made public, but I know there are some (perhaps even plenty) of us who would gladly buy multiple copies, or even flat out donate if that's what it came to to help meet whatever target is needed.

I agree, then we (the fans) would have a goal. In worst case we could do a fund raiser or something.

The Unofficial Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Penumbra and Frictional Games IRC Channel.
#amnesiareleaseparty @ irc.gamesurge.net
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12

Lets hope it doesn't come to that. Amnesia's reviews are glowing so far, and I think between the Penumbra fans, multiple previews, and good reviews so far I am willing to bet that preorder sales for Amnesia are higher than Penumbra's total preorder + first week sales.
09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Find
Conorr Offline

Threads: 5

Well not to be a buzz kill if you looked at your standard Torrent of leacher noobs. say 1000 Leachers at a game around 16 GBP

you do the math on how much money is lost because of this -.-

*im not promoting torrents nor providing any details of torrents im merely giving an example.*

I myself am a big fan of Fricitonal games ive already bought 2 collectors editions of penumbra + OST + 2 copies of Amnesia.

Big Grin
09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

Well, the FG guys don't like to discuss their financial figures to the public (understandably), but from the way things are looking, I'm certain FG will live to see another game release at the very least.

They've been getting more and more attention as time goes on, they're currently a #2 bestseller on Steam, and they have achieved at the VERY least 2,000 preorders before the end of May. As odd it sounds (to myself anyway) to be optimistic, I cannot help it. FG won't be rolling in dough, but I'm fairly certain they'll still be breathing by the next release.

Of course, they'll have to work on their next project AWFULLY soon but...

EDIT: I was writing this when Conorr posted. Even with those filthy, leaching motherfuckers, I'm still confident.

09-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Find
monkeyshots Offline

Threads: 1

(09-07-2010, 07:00 PM)Conorr Wrote: Well not to be a buzz kill if you looked at your standard Torrent of leacher noobs. say 1000 Leachers at a game around 16 GBP

this is a common misconception that is often being used by the recording and film industry. just because 1000 people illegally downloaded the game does not mean that all of them would have paid for it if it would not have been available through other (illegal) means.

also it seems now FG really doesnt need to worry after it reaching second place on the steam top-seller list and all the positive press they are receiving.
09-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Find
Conorr Offline

Threads: 5

(09-07-2010, 07:06 PM)monkeyshots Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 07:00 PM)Conorr Wrote: Well not to be a buzz kill if you looked at your standard Torrent of leacher noobs. say 1000 Leachers at a game around 16 GBP

this is a common misconception that is often being used by the recording and film industry. just because 1000 people illegally downloaded the game does not mean that all of them would have paid for it if it would not have been available through other (illegal) means.

also it seems now FG really doesnt need to worry after it reaching second place on the steam top-seller list and all the positive press they are receiving.

Everyone listens to music and watches films when it comes to gaming its down to the gamers themselves to provide their income Tongue

anyway i agree with the last piece they are recieving quite abit of attention at the moment Big Grin

still hoping too see them seal the first spot on steam top sellers.
09-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Find
PrinceCola Offline

Threads: 8

(09-07-2010, 06:48 PM)Sajber Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 06:44 PM)wcer Wrote: Someone slid in a link somewhere that Amnesia almost got canned, and indeed in order to pull it off Frictional had to chop salaries and such.

I agree, then we (the fans) would have a goal. In worst case we could do a fund raiser or something.
i woud definetley donate money.
09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Find
pcrk2 Offline

Threads: 4

Quote:i woud definetley donate money.

Same here.
09-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Find
Mayron Offline

Threads: 0

I just helped keep FG going. Bought Penumbra OST Wink Donating sounds nice too... But, maybe it's a matter of "developer's honor"? It's the best, when a game itself can manage and no donations are needed.

Oh, and i recently got Penumbra Collection in a box o/

. what has been seen, cannot be unseen .
09-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Website Find