Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Sound. I'm pretty sure it's not my fault.
Dubious Drewski Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago No Sound. I'm pretty sure it's not my fault.

I've tried all five available sound driver options the game gives me. It doesn't seem to be a volume issue, because my other Steam games have working sound. It's only this game that is completely silent(And yes, I confirmed that the in-game volume slider is set to 10). Here is the audio section of my hpl.log file:

--------------------------------------------------------

Initializing Sound Module
Initializing OpenAL
Available OpenAL devices:
0. Generic Software on Speakers / HP (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)(OpenAL default)
1. Generic Software on SPDIF-Out (Front) (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
2. Generic Software on Digital Output Device (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)
3. Generic Software on Headphones (RTC) (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
4. Generic Software on SPDIF-Out (Rear) (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Trying to open device 'Generic Software on Headphones (RTC) (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)'... Success!
Number of mono sources: 32
Streaming setup: 4 Buffers x 262144 bytes each

It says that it initializes successfully. ...Right. I'm running Vista.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: If more of my .log file is required, I'll post it. It's just very long, and I didn't want to post a wall of text.

EDIT 2: I reinstalled OpenAl. No change. My DirectX is version 10. I'm not sure what else I can check.
09-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Find
richard.eid Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: No Sound. I'm pretty sure it's not my fault.

1. Navigate to C:\Users\username\Documents\Amnesia\Main
2. Open main_settings.cfg
3. Find Sound Device="3" (It'll be near the bottom.)
4. Change that to 0 or...what are you using for speakers and/or how are they connected? The reason I say 0 is because even if you're using headphones, they're probably plugged into what Amenesia knows as 0...unless it's a USB headset. But judging by the descriptions, it sounds like it's all the same device. Maybe 3 is your front panel audio jack. If that's true and that's where your speakers are connected, then there may be deeper issues. If you are using headphones, but they are plugged into the back of the PC, then your problem may be solved by changing this to 0.

You can also select this under the Sound options tab in the launcher, but editing config files is more pro. Just sayin'...
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Find
Dubious Drewski Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: No Sound. I'm pretty sure it's not my fault.

You magnificent man. That was it. What a strange problem. Who doesn't plug their speakers into the back port? I've never not done it that way.
09-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Find
Mikezila Offline

Threads: 5

It's usually that way, but not always. OpenAL takes its best guess as to what port your speakers are plugged into, but not all soundcards (more like not all drivers) give accurate or useful information, so sometimes the guess is wrong.
09-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Find