Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Worst Level Design in the game- the Choir room
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12
Worst Level Design in the game- the Choir room

The overall quality of the "levels" within Amnesia is very solid; however, I found the choir room to be the exception.

The level is very bland, and to large (space wise) with a red hue and dust that obscures vision. This not only makes it look uninteresting from a aesthetic point of view, but it also fails as a level in function because it does not utilize the interplay between light and dark the way other levels execute perfectly e.g. the dungeon, or storage.

Having to navigate from one room to another to pick up the shards feels more like a chore, since there is so much space to traverse, with an occasional encounter with a brute mixed in. One plus to this area though is the iron maiden room, that was very well done.

The game is fantastic, don't get me wrong I just figured id offer my 2 cents so that Frictional Games could get some constructive criticism. Anyone share these sentiments?

[Image: ramona_victory.gif]
09-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Find
Dyni Crippler Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Worst Level Design in the game- the Choir room

I'm in that point right now, and yeah, I agree with you.
The only area that maked me feel angry about the game.
Also, it's the less scary room of the whole game.
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Find
Klarden Offline

Threads: 3

It's unexpectedly huge - this is what makes it interesting. The break from everything that was in the game before and will be later. I think, the fact, that you found it "standing out" is proof enough it worked as intended
09-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Website Find
VALIS Offline

Threads: 0

I agree that the section is quite uninteresting. Although it was definitely scary in its own right combined with the fog and brute that you have to sneak around by crouching. I think they may have wanted to just try a more open space that is still obscured other than more dark corridors for this level since we had already been through a prison and then sewers.
09-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Website Find
RMJ Offline

Threads: 4

(09-10-2010, 05:41 PM)VALIS Wrote: I agree that the section is quite uninteresting. Although it was definitely scary in its own right combined with the fog and brute that you have to sneak around by crouching. I think they may have wanted to just try a more open space that is still obscured other than more dark corridors for this level since we had already been through a prison and then sewers.

Yeah it wasnt my favorite part either, it felt more like luck than anything else getting around. The fog and all, just make it all to dizzy and confusing.

But yeah i prefered all the other levels above this one Smile
09-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Find
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12

(09-10-2010, 05:41 PM)VALIS Wrote: I agree that the section is quite uninteresting. Although it was definitely scary in its own right combined with the fog and brute that you have to sneak around by crouching.

Still scary, possible. If they were trying to force interaction with a Brute, I think a far less spacious, perhaps even claustrophobic area would have been order. In doing so, the player would be forced to remain within close proximity to the brute and tread lightly/throw objects to distract it etc. That would have made for a far more engaging game play experience. For me, that would keep me on the edge of my seat.

Anyone else agree?

[Image: ramona_victory.gif]
09-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Find
VALIS Offline

Threads: 0

Near the end of the sewers I encountered a brute in a short proximity. Albeit a short while before the ladder to escape it was still definitely intense. What you mention there as a far less spacious and claustrophobic area would be relative to the invisible monster water chase near the beginning of the game. I'd imagine that a different interaction with the brute would just become another one of the chase sequences, there would be no other way to do it I think.

I think with the Choir room they wanted to obscure your vision and make you sneak around to put a different pacing on the fear that you build up, just to add more variety.
09-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Website Find
Commando Peach Offline

Threads: 2

Really? I can't stand the choir room for a wholly different reason.

It makes me feel uncomfortable. It's light enough that I can see, but not very far. It's dark enough to make me feel like I might be losing it, but light enough that an enemy can see me with relative ease. It's also deceptively large, and easy to get lost in until you figure out the trick to navigating easily there (a trick that I don't know if you guys found or not so I won't mention further). I was always loath to go in there, and I think that's what made it so effective. It's the ONLY wide open area of the game that's not only patrolled but semi-shrouded (at least up until that section.... I haven't gotten much farther yet). I loved it because I hated it so much, haha.
09-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I didn't like that level either.
Too large and there was really nothing to do. Only to pick up 3 pieces of the Orb and then get out.

However, I found that level to be scary after I realized that there was someone else with me and I couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of me...

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM by Yuhaney.)
09-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Website Find
Reportin' Offline

Threads: 3

I gotta say I liked the Choir very much. Granted, it's not my favourite level in the game (that'd be Cistern Entrance), but it's really different because it's so unexpectedly huge and open.
Sneaking along the walls and through the red haze was really exciting; I actually got lost and panicked when I heard the monster(s ?) approach. And the part where you jump onto that collapsed column was pretty neat as well.
09-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Find