Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Worst Level Design in the game- the Choir room
marzy Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Worst Level Design in the game- the Choir room

The guy in this room scared the crap out of me. He didn't stop chasing me and I died Sad I'm not sure if you can escape this guy? I ran and ran and ran, crying like a girl Big Grin
09-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Find
bblaze Offline

Threads: 5

Oh, there was someone in the room with me? I figured the regular pounding noise was either ambient drums to hype me up for the climax or Daniel literally shitting bricks.
09-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Find
LeftySwin Offline

Threads: 3

I find that it's good to have a mix of room designs. Different types create fear in different people.

A small corridor can make people feel trapped like they have no where to run.

A large open room can make people feel vulnerable like they have no place to hide if something were to see them.

I find both of them equally as scary.

Although, I'd have to agree with the orb pieces. Fictional Games seems to have trouble in this area. I assume that they're trying to force you to explore every room to get the full experience, but when they do that, it feels similar to a scavenger hunt. This was one of the big problems with Black Plague. You were always having to go back and forth collecting items to advance in the game.

It's a real pain when you missed a piece and have to go back and get it. A possible solution to this problem would be to have the items on the way to your destination, so that you wouldn't have to go 'way out of the way' just to get a piece of orb.
09-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Find
zxc Offline

Threads: 0

I suppose I'm one of the few that actually 'loved' the Choir room. I think I found it to be one of the scariest places. I was tense as %#&*.

I instantly thought of Moria when I first walked in. I got lost a few times too. I was practically out of light at that point as well.
09-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Find
Unreal Offline

Threads: 9

I think the Choir room was fine overall. It was just a bit too big, but that's not a big deal. Don't forget- getting lost with monsters around was part of the horror.
09-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(09-12-2010, 04:18 AM)LeftySwin Wrote: It's a real pain when you missed a piece and have to go back and get it. A possible solution to this problem would be to have the items on the way to your destination, so that you wouldn't have to go 'way out of the way' just to get a piece of orb.

I just followed Brute. He was my guide and I didn't miss any.

09-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Website Find
ShadowXOR Offline

Threads: 6

I agree, that was the only level in the game I didn't really like. Also, Ramona Flowers FTW!
09-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Website Find
fruitsaladninja Offline

I thought it was a nice level, different from the others but still scary.
after i realized i was not alone in there i followed my instincts and went back to where i started, and followed the wall to the right.
then i kept going along the wall/edge/over the bridge until i came back to where i started, with all shards! I avoided the brute just fine so it felt really good to get out of there, until i realized i had to go back for the shroom potion ingredient. argh!
09-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Find
Gare Offline

I actually liked the Choir. Think about it like this - it's a huge, open space, and there's a monster out there, but you don't know where exactly. Because of the fog, you can't see very far at all, meaning there's potential danger all around you. Like the streets of Silent Hill, except a lot darker. Personally, when I heard the sounds of the monster closing in, I could only rely on my headphones to tell me which direction he's coming from. It was tense. Plus, due to the fact that (if I remember correctly) there was no pitch black darkness I could comfortably hide in, all I could do was crouch behind a column and hope the monster won't come my way.

In other words, while the Choir was somewhat different, it was still a very tense and scary experience for me, and I dreaded the idea of going down there again. (since I forgot to pick up an orb piece on my first run)
09-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

It may not be the nicest looking room, but walking in that choir was one of the creepiest experiences in the whole game for me. I felt like I was constantly being watched.
11-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Find