Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Will this game be brought to consoles in the future?
wastedfate Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Will this game be brought to consoles in the future?

(09-11-2010, 02:32 AM)ploppytheman Wrote: I don't think this type of game would do well with the console crowd and it might be too graphic (let alone disturbing). If the game was released on console there would NEED to be a LONG EXPLICIT DETAILED NOT SKIPPABLE INTRO that told players what/how to experience and how to "play" the game. Otherwise too many idiots would be like "dur no guns boring stupid dur dur y i die so easy Daniel is a b**** dur dur Imma go play halo".

Agreed. Not to mention the switch of focus from just their PC gamers to everyone else. Also, releasing a single game for consoles and for computer means a drop in quality for the computer crowd. A computer just handles things better than an NES.
09-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Find
MASKO Offline

Threads: 1

(09-11-2010, 03:02 AM)wastedfate Wrote:
(09-11-2010, 02:32 AM)ploppytheman Wrote: I don't think this type of game would do well with the console crowd and it might be too graphic (let alone disturbing). If the game was released on console there would NEED to be a LONG EXPLICIT DETAILED NOT SKIPPABLE INTRO that told players what/how to experience and how to "play" the game. Otherwise too many idiots would be like "dur no guns boring stupid dur dur y i die so easy Daniel is a b**** dur dur Imma go play halo".

Agreed. Not to mention the switch of focus from just their PC gamers to everyone else. Also, releasing a single game for consoles and for computer means a drop in quality for the computer crowd. A computer just handles things better than an NES.

Lovely Lovely Lovely, except Single player PC games profit margin gets destroyed by bittorrent. Now you may be bad mouthing Console gamers and stereotyping them but as is the PC market is full of pirates absolutely destroying small companies profit margins. Were on the 360 pirates are the way smaller percentage.

Besides all of that the PC version has already come out so making a console version doenst hurt you in any way so the only reason you would be against it is a fanboyish nonsense reason b/c it wouldnt effect you.

I tried the demo and seen no gameplay mechanic that couldnt be implemented on a console. Not one.
09-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Find
Peanuckle Offline

Threads: 4

Hah, this reminds me of that one kid who reviewed Super Mario Bros., and gave it a 0 because when he went to talk to the first character Mario did some kind of jump and the game ended.

Apparently he played a lot of Final Fantasy.
09-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Find
Koblo Offline

Actually reports indicate that small indie games often sell better on PC than their console counter parts (if there is one). In fact with the popularity of digital distribution and the exodus of many big-budget companies suffocating the PC gaming market small indie developers are finally able to have a chance of success to launch their company. Your painting the PC as a villain when it's the exact opposite in this situation. Of course, this all matters if one believes that piracy equals lost sales, which I believe it doesn't (at least not dramatically).
09-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Find
thePyro13 Offline

(09-11-2010, 04:17 AM)MASKO Wrote: Lovely Lovely Lovely, except Single player PC games profit margin gets destroyed by bittorrent. Now you may be bad mouthing Console gamers and stereotyping them but as is the PC market is full of pirates absolutely destroying small companies profit margins. Were on the 360 pirates are the way smaller percentage.

That isn't strictly true. I've read some games were far more heavily pirated on console than PC(And I'm not referring to console only games ;P). The only reason PC piracy gets so hyped up is because publishers can actually implement their own DRM on PC, rather than relying on whatever the console manufacturer has provided.

As far as Amnesia goes, I wouldn't expect it to go to console. The developers built their own engine, it would take quite a while to port it to only one console, let alone two or all three. Then they have to find a publisher who's willing to carry the game to consoles and rely on retail sales as their is no digital distribution for them to use. It could take a long time and cost a lot of money for very little pay-off(relatively).

(09-11-2010, 04:33 AM)Koblo Wrote: ...Of course, this all matters if one believes that piracy equals lost sales, which I believe it doesn't (at least not dramatically).

This is my opinion also. Of the pirates I know, when the option to pirate a game isn't available(due to DRM), they just skip the game. And these people do shell out for the games they actually want. They're not lost sales, but in some cases they can be an opportunity to gain sales(I believe someone from Valve said something along these lines as well).
09-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Find
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3

(09-11-2010, 01:30 AM)Frontcannon Wrote: I want a Wii port nao
How about a DS port? Idea

Not.
09-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Find
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5

They will go consoles in the future no doubt about that theres money to be made there, the PC version will suffer they know it and we know it but as a company they need to think of what is best for them. I just hope they don't let some publisher tell them how they should make their games.

p.s - I'm a PC gamer and exclusively a PC gamer.
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Find
wrath Offline

Threads: 1

(09-11-2010, 09:22 AM)thePyro13 Wrote: ...
(09-11-2010, 04:33 AM)Koblo Wrote: ...Of course, this all matters if one believes that piracy equals lost sales, which I believe it doesn't (at least not dramatically).

This is my opinion also. Of the pirates I know, when the option to pirate a game isn't available(due to DRM), they just skip the game. And these people do shell out for the games they actually want. They're not lost sales, but in some cases they can be an opportunity to gain sales(I believe someone from Valve said something along these lines as well).

I would also like to add that in the past, using methods usually only reserved and built for piracy (no cd cracks, etc) that break DRM have even been necessary just to play the game. Check the Ubisoft debacle. I know piracy is big, it can even be an issue, but I refuse to believe that piracy is what they say it is in a world where the games market is thriving, not recession proof, but certainly thriving and still growing. Look no further than digital distribution and Valve, something that should rightfully dead in *that* world, the same service but with a price. People are generally good, some get lost, some get broken, but generally they're good.

I honestly believe that it could work, but I'm not convinced I see it working as well. Wheel's work on analogue sticks, but pushing a door open? and moving my thumb doesn't seem nearly as immersive as moving my whole arm. The Wii while good on paper actually sounds kind of horrible to me. The motions could get a little too realistic, and without actually having a door, wheel or other object to rest the wieght of your arm on, you're looking at quite sore arms. I'm just speculating here though, could also be great, or adequate that's cool too.

You also have to consider what is lost in gaining support for one or more consoles. The amount of money, and time that could've been spent on a new project vs the amount of money you could gain by more investment on an otherwise finished project. Things like that. Moreover, I'm not all that interested in a console port, I already own everything they've made (that you can buy) on PC, I'm still enjoying their latest masterpiece, Amnesia the Dark Descent, and I suspect I'll want more once I'm done. I also consider a PC to be the only gaming machine you'll ever need. The Halo series is great on XBox, but I bet it'd be much the same or even better on PC, it'd just have real competition there.

Why doesn't anyone ever say, "y'know the new Halo/Call of Duty (arguably a console game now)/whatever is great but I think I'll stick with Counter Strike or Team Fortress 2, or Unreal Tournament, or whatever the hell else"? The only time I've ever really heard a PC title invoked when talking about a console game was Halo Wars, and that was because the RTS genre is squarely PC territory or has been. While I'm going off like this, why is it always the Console War? and never the "Console War, oh and there's the PC". The only console I've seen that looks interesting, that hasn't sold me on the contrivance that x game I want is only supported on x console, was the Wii, because it provides an experience that's actually quite unique. I bought the Wii because it was a point of interest and intrigue.

...I may have lost the trail at some point... I suppose I just don't think too much of consoles in general, so barring perhaps a potential increase in audience members that I'm not sure we want or would want us, I can't see any real reason too. Its just fine as it is. I love it as it is. I want to see their next work, not a port.
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Find
iTIMMEH Offline

Threads: 2

Amnesia would work fine on console but I'm not sure the audience would be there to warrant the effort and cost of bringing it to consoles.
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

They could barely afford to even MAKE Amnesia, let alone buying dev kits and porting it elsewhere.
09-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Find