Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Will this game be brought to consoles in the future?
lumpi Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Will this game be brought to consoles in the future?

(09-11-2010, 04:17 AM)MASKO Wrote: Lovely Lovely Lovely, except Single player PC games profit margin gets destroyed by bittorrent. Now you may be bad mouthing Console gamers and stereotyping them but as is the PC market is full of pirates absolutely destroying small companies profit margins. Were on the 360 pirates are the way smaller percentage.

You can cry about bittorrent all you want, this game is born for mouse-controls, and thus, the PC. Looking at the current hype wave, I could even see this become quite a successful title, I sure hope so. Quirky one-man indie games do sell 150,000 copies on the PC (Minecraft), the Humble Indie Bundle made over a million dollars in 2 weeks. You can make a successful game on the PC. But you have to make it so that it actually plays to the strengths of the platform which Amnesia, through the smooth and responsive mouse-based controls alone, does excellently.

For a console release (and I wouldn't mind one, just saying from a PC gamer perspective), there would have to be compromises. Actual clicking and dragging would have to be replaced by either general use-buttons or more simplified quick-time events or joystick-waggling, thus removing that subtle feel of actually "touching" the in-game world. Text had to be resized, the UI changed and, eventually, a lowest common denominator would be chosen for future releases. I've seen it before. For a random example that really disappointed me recently, see Team17's "Worms" franchise go down from "Worms: Armageddon", over the dreadful XBLA release to the sad, sad "Worms: Reloaded" on Steam. Or, to a more subtle extend, Telltale and their strange, joystick-oriented walking-system that replaces pure mouse-based navigation in their latest adventures.

I'm not saying that a developer couldn't pull it off and release two different interfaces that play to the strength of each platform, but if history is an indicator, any move towards console means a lot of gameplay being "lost in translation" and the resulting compromise serving as a base for all future console and PC releases.

Excuse me when I'm not that excited about this prospect.
09-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(09-13-2010, 03:04 AM)lumpi Wrote: Or, to a more subtle extend, Telltale and their strange, joystick-oriented walking-system that replaces pure mouse-based navigation in their latest adventures.

Just on a side note, the control method displayed in that video is an option. Most people choose to play with either a gamepad or WASD + mouse controls, which work much better than click & drag. The choice to move away from point and click was in order to provide a more cinematic and dynamic camera without having to worry about showing the ground clearly. While using WASD + mouse, you are still able to click on any hotspots on screen, and the character will automatically walk to them.

People on the TTG forums whine about this all the time and it bothers me, sorry for going off-topic. Tongue
09-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Find
spung3 Offline

Threads: 1

It would be pretty cool if natal turned out to be any good. Anyway I think amnesia would work fine with a controller. Sure us PC Players wouldn't find it comfortable but console players cope fine with a controller on games that require much faster movement and reactions.
09-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Find
khawaja07 Offline

Threads: 9

Point - Click games cannot and would never work on consoles with gamepads.. so maybe just maybe with PS Move and Kinect it can work.. END OF THE LINE..
09-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I bet after map editor is released and HPL2 gone open source (?), some hardcore fans will start making port to Wii.

09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Website Find
lobban Offline

Threads: 1

I wouldn't mind them doing games for the consoles. But I'm pretty sure that it would affect future PC-games in a bad way. Hopefully if the company grows a bit more they will have the money and time to do both without breaking either one.
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Find
TehSpeedyHomer Offline

Threads: 0

Hmm, I dont think it will be made for consoles, cause the others didnt, but who knows, they might decide to make the new game for consoles.

09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Website Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-13-2010, 10:07 AM)Scraper Wrote: I bet after map editor is released and HPL2 gone open source (?), some hardcore fans will start making port to Wii.

Now, what would make you think that?

[Image: 16455.png]
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

There's always crazy people who make things for fun.

09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Website Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-13-2010, 10:36 AM)Scraper Wrote: There's always crazy people who make things for fun.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3622.html Tongue

[Image: 16455.png]
09-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Find