Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Only this mindfuck on the highest possible meta level made me not want to play on.
bblaze Offline

Threads: 5
Only this mindfuck on the highest possible meta level made me not want to play on.

I'll just link to the story I posted on reddit since I'm about to go to bed and don't want to bother with converting the formatting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/...only_this/

Really screwed me up, that. Good job, Frictional Games.
09-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Find
Amnesia Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Only this mindfuck on the highest possible meta level made me not want to play on.

(09-11-2010, 04:29 AM)bblaze Wrote: I'll just link to the story I posted on reddit since I'm about to go to bed and don't want to bother with converting the formatting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/...only_this/

Really screwed me up, that. Good job, Frictional Games.

Finally some talk about paintings. Yes paintings really make an important part of the atmosphere. Much of the paintings in Amnesia are of the crucifixion. I dunno, it just makes the atmosphere much more creepy. And yeah that painting is really harsh to look at Tongue Anyways I hope they let us add our custom paintings in amnesia, much more variety in atmosphere =D
09-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Find
Informative Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Only this mindfuck on the highest possible meta level made me not want to play on.

I noticed that in Alexanders office where he mutilated animals, I saw he is normal, leave, come back in and notice it changed. But OP...you're just a big wussy. There are more frightening things than a portrait.

[Image: 10138.png]
09-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Find
Commando Peach Offline

Threads: 2

(09-11-2010, 07:18 AM)Informative Wrote: I noticed that in Alexanders office where he mutilated animals, I saw he is normal, leave, come back in and notice it changed. But OP...you're just a big wussy. There are more frightening things than a portrait.

Yeah, but thinking you're safe from the scary stuff just to have that interrupted is pretty unsettling.

I feel like I would have died if I'd seen that off guard. Keep on trucking, though, soldier. It's worth it.
09-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Find
Hofmannism Offline

Threads: 3

Holy shit, that is buckin' creepy! Luckily my sanity wasn't that low so I didn't see it, but if I did I would probably have reacted the same way. Wink
09-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Find
serotonin Offline

Threads: 4

So if you're sanity is low (shows as "..." in the inventory) and you're woozy and dizzy with that visual effect the game has, you'll see random tripped out crap like the distorted portrait?

Because if so, I've been missing out. Whenever my sanity drops to "..." because of an unsettling event + staying in darkness too long or whatever, after the danger has passed I immediately go to a light source and stay there until I go back to normal. I was under the impression that low sanity actually kills you, eventually. Is that incorrect?
09-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Find
bblaze Offline

Threads: 5

That's the thing, I was one sanity level above the guy that made the LP at that certain point.

This is not the only thing that seems to be random (end-game spoiler):

Spoiler below!
On your way to the choir, where you paint the dude's chest, after the flashback is over and you walk out of the room, LP-guy had painted bodies hanging from the ceiling; at least two. I didn't have any, even though I did everything in the same order as he did for the last few hours of the game.
; there might be replay value in this after all

@serotonin, Low sanity kills you indirectly. If a grunt is in your vicinity, he gets rollerblades and nightvision.
09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Find
superluser Offline

(09-11-2010, 07:18 AM)Informative Wrote: I noticed that in Alexanders office where he mutilated animals, I saw he is normal, leave, come back in and notice it changed. But OP...you're just a big wussy. There are more frightening things than a portrait.

I took an interpersonal communications course once. Man, I should remember to use those tools. One of the main things that I didn't forget was that you really can't blame someone for his emotions; we can't control them directly(*). bblaze saw something, and had a particular physiological reaction. Can't go around calling people names on account of that.

The picture itself is kind of weird and creepy, as well. Especially for those who remember their Hieronymus Bosch.

(*) Through training, we might be able to manipulate our emotions in order to do something, but we can't simply say ``I'm not scared, I'm not scared,'' and expect that to be true.
09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Find
ChrisVCB Offline

Threads: 0

The bit that crapped me up the most
Spoiler below!
in the T....whatever it was called, the big hall area with torture devices where you have to get Orb Parts....in there, are a bunch of cages hanging from the roof. I didn't pay much attention when I first went into the room, and went off to a side chamber. When I came back out, I noticed there was a guy in one of the cages. Now, this didn't freak me out too much, because I hadn't been paying attention first time around, so I didn't know if he was there to begin with. But when I went into another side chamber and came back out again, he was gone Undecided Oh man, I was bricking it imagining in my minds eye all the places that caged being could have gotten to....
09-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Find
Klarden Offline

oh, so the insane version of his portrait is in game. didn't notice it. or just was sane enough to not get it
09-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Website Find