Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Unbelievable
BigSparky Offline

Threads: 1
Unbelievable

Ok, first post here, so...hi!

Now, I know there are a lot of threads that already gave high praise to Amnesia, and I know that I could have very well posted in any of them. However, I want to make sure that the fine folks at Frictional Games will see this, so forgive me if I bypass the standard forum etiquette by making a new thread.

Frictional - you get it. You set your goals and delivered in a way that no other developer really has for years. How is it possible that you took a relatively small team and churned out a product that the "big boys" should be ASHAMED that they have been unable to come close to duplicating? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying other companies haven't put out some really good products, but let's face it - we've also watched them spend tons of money and development time, only to charge us 50-60 bucks (more in pounds, etc) for games that could only be considered ok at best.

Those companies always try to push the envelope in technology, boasting about some new collision detection, lighting technique or particle system, yet many times the end result leaves us wondering if they were trying to make a fantastic game, or just a lengthy tech demo.

Now I'm and "older" gamer by a lot of standards (let's just say I got Pong when it was new), and I've watched the industry grow from the very beginning. In my 30+ years of gaming, there have only been a handful ot times when I was truly "blown away" by the sheer genius of a particular game. I'm happy to say Amnesia is one of those times.

You didn't just take a genre and recycle what we've already seen. You didn't just say "Hey, let's make a horror game to compete with (fill in the blank)". What you DID do was give us what at least I consider to be the scariest game ever. Wait, scratch that - scariest EXPERIENCE ever.

That alone is a great accomplishment, but it isn't only the scare factor, but the gameplay, the environment, the extremely well-done sound and voice acting - everything - that makes Amnesia such a well-crafted work of art. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you didn't charge us an arm and a leg for it!

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture. As far as I'm concerned, Amnesia gets the Game of the Year award. Fantastic job, Frictional!

I want to ask everyone who loves this game as much as I do to PLEASE spread the word. People need to know that the huge companies aren't the only ones able to put out good games. If you can, buy the game for a friend (the holidays are coming, you know).

And Frictional - please keep the excellence coming. I anxiously await whatever it is you have in store for us!

THANK YOU!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
09-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Find
Cryme Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Unbelievable

(09-11-2010, 04:59 PM)BigSparky Wrote: Ok, first post here, so...hi!

Now, I know there are a lot of threads that already gave high praise to Amnesia, and I know that I could have very well posted in any of them. However, I want to make sure that the fine folks at Frictional Games will see this, so forgive me if I bypass the standard forum etiquette by making a new thread.

Frictional - you get it. You set your goals and delivered in a way that no other developer really has for years. How is it possible that you took a relatively small team and churned out a product that the "big boys" should be ASHAMED that they have been unable to come close to duplicating? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying other companies haven't put out some really good products, but let's face it - we've also watched them spend tons of money and development time, only to charge us 50-60 bucks (more in pounds, etc) for games that could only be considered ok at best.

Those companies always try to push the envelope in technology, boasting about some new collision detection, lighting technique or particle system, yet many times the end result leaves us wondering if they were trying to make a fantastic game, or just a lengthy tech demo.

Now I'm and "older" gamer by a lot of standards (let's just say I got Pong when it was new), and I've watched the industry grow from the very beginning. In my 30+ years of gaming, there have only been a handful ot times when I was truly "blown away" by the sheer genius of a particular game. I'm happy to say Amnesia is one of those times.

You didn't just take a genre and recycle what we've already seen. You didn't just say "Hey, let's make a horror game to compete with (fill in the blank)". What you DID do was give us what at least I consider to be the scariest game ever. Wait, scratch that - scariest EXPERIENCE ever.

That alone is a great accomplishment, but it isn't only the scare factor, but the gameplay, the environment, the extremely well-done sound and voice acting - everything - that makes Amnesia such a well-crafted work of art. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you didn't charge us an arm and a leg for it!

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture. As far as I'm concerned, Amnesia gets the Game of the Year award. Fantastic job, Frictional!

I want to ask everyone who loves this game as much as I do to PLEASE spread the word. People need to know that the huge companies aren't the only ones able to put out good games. If you can, buy the game for a friend (the holidays are coming, you know).

And Frictional - please keep the excellence coming. I anxiously await whatever it is you have in store for us!

THANK YOU!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Couldn`t agree more.
09-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Find
sacroid Offline

Threads: 11

I think EXACTLY the same as you. I hope FG reads this Wink

09-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

(09-11-2010, 04:59 PM)BigSparky Wrote: we've also watched them spend tons of money and development time, only to charge us 50-60 bucks (more in pounds, etc) for games that could only be considered ok at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJ2vBIv130

It's totally coming out in 2011!
09-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Find
BigSparky Offline

(09-11-2010, 06:54 PM)superluser Wrote:
(09-11-2010, 04:59 PM)BigSparky Wrote: we've also watched them spend tons of money and development time, only to charge us 50-60 bucks (more in pounds, etc) for games that could only be considered ok at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJ2vBIv130

It's totally coming out in 2011!

Haha! Unfortunately that game looks more interesting than what Duke Nukem will probably turn out to be. Pity, really. The original was such a great game, but 15 years made me pretty much lose any interest in a sequel.
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Find
fruitsaladninja Offline

Threads: 0

Yeah I agree with you!
these guys know how to make a good game!
Frictional Games gives you a great gaming experience not many games give you!
09-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Find
lobban Offline

(09-11-2010, 04:59 PM)BigSparky Wrote: I want to ask everyone who loves this game as much as I do to PLEASE spread the word. People need to know that the huge companies aren't the only ones able to put out good games. If you can, buy the game for a friend (the holidays are coming, you know).
Well written and I'm really doing as much as I can to make more people buy this game. I guess I've at least contributed with 10 sells of this game trough word-of-mouth and I've tried to make as much fuss about it as possible.

I really hope this will prove to be Frictional Games' stepping stone into a brighter future as a company and that they keep providing us with these rare gems. Smile
09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Find
Crabski Offline

Threads: 2

10/10, I couldn't agree more OP. You took the words out of my mouth. I've been posting links to as many of my friends as possible (facebook, etc.), and I know I've pulled in at least two or three people.

Everything about FG is so refreshing to see; it's like a blast of cold water to the face, waking us up from the normality of gaming these days and showing us once again how incredible gaming can be if you're really dedicated to it. I can't express how grateful I am to have found Penumbra, and by extension Amnesia. Reading the blog and playing the games is such a delight.

Sharing this experience with you guys (who are people I don't know from half the world away) really makes me feel connected to something special.
09-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Find
dvow Offline

I've been recommending this to a lot of friends, and a few have bought it! One said Silent Hill was the scariest thing he ever played. Now he says silent hill is about as scary as hello kitty when compared to amnesia.
09-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Find
Datenshi92 Offline

Threads: 0

I played some horror games, including all Silent Hill games, Alone in the Dark(the latest one), Clock Tower 3, Resident Evil 2,3 and 4, FEAR, all the Penumbras and I gotta say that Amnesia takes the cake.
Sure all the other games were good, but Amnesia was the one to actually make me VERY tense and scared from beginning to end and still be brilliant.

Frictional didn't only just add a new title to the best in horror genre as they didn't rip it off somewhere, they made a new style and a new story and that my friends, is pure art.

Hands down to Frictional.
09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Find