Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing cog?
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Missing cog?

VERY MINOR PUZZLE-RELATED SPOILERS AHEAD!

I'm playing the Mac version.

I didn't know whether to put this in the help/tips section or this one. I'm not sure whether problem is me or the game.

Basically, I'm in the machine room trying to get the lift started. I've put all the rods into the machine and used the levers.

I also have two cogs in the machine, but I can't find the third - the one which goes on the rightmost end of the gears mechanism. I've got the inserted the left and middle cog.

I've just spent a couple of hours searching the machine rooms for the third cog, but I'm beginning to think I may have been the victim of a bug.

In the end I had to swallow my pride and try YouTube. As far as I can tell, the right-most cog can be found next to the machine where the rods go, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of the cog on my game.

Can anybody offer any assistance? I really have looked everywhere - including the ceiling!

Thanks.

Wow - what a mansion!
09-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Missing cog?

Worst case scenario is to reload the level from an earlier save game in case a cog wheel had glitched.

More likely is that it is somwhere though. There is one on the bottom floor. On in corridor one floor down and one in a in a room one floor down.
09-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't think reloading will be an option since my last save from before I ever entered the machine room no longer seems to be there. I'm assuming from this that only a certain number of previous auto-saves are kept before the computer starts overwriting them. I've left, re-entered and saved in, the machine room several times now, hoping the last cog would appear.

At one point I even took all the moveable objects out of the rooms and stored them in the corners of the corridor to try and clear the rooms in case the objects were hiding a cog, but no luck.

I will of course, have another look, concentrating on the areas you suggested. I really hope you're right. If not, it looks like it might already be game over for me. Sad

Wow - what a mansion!
09-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

The game automatically saves at each map save and keeps the last 20 saves. Unless you entered the map tons of times, there should be an older save.

Also try checking some online walkthrough to see where they are, here is one I found using quick google.
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2010/09...ide-pc.htm
09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Again, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have re-entered the machine room a ton of times. In the end, when I couldn't find the cog anywhere I had no choice but to assume the final cog was hidden elsewhere, so I've been back and forth many times, so my first ever entry into the machine room is long gone.

Well having checked YouTube and the link you gave me, I'm pretty sure my game has indeed glitched.

I hate it when people accuse a game of being glitched just because they couldn't work out a puzzle, but I think I'm right on this occasion, though I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

So, one cog was in the room with the rod machine, lying on a small table. I actually remember finding that one, but I was a bit clumsy when picking it up and accidentally dropped it. I think it was at that point that it somehow glitched away.

I remember because I then found the one in the corridor outside and at first assumed it was the one from inside the room and I'd somehow thrown it into the corridor. But no, it's the actual one from the corridor.

The last one was in the room where you're supposed to insert the cogs, so it's this one and the one from the corridor that I now have.

I've been back and looked for the cog in the room with the rod machine, but there's no sign of it anywhere. I really don't know what else to do.

Is there anything else you can suggest or do? Or am I going to have to start again?

Wow - what a mansion!
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

According to your description seems like physics glitch.

If the has written over all old saves, then there is not much left to do except:
- Restarting.
- Asking for save game
- Hacking a save game.

If you wanna hack the save game, open it in a text editor. search for
WheelOK
and below it you should find a (assuming the two other cogs are on spokes)
val="2"
changes this to
val="3"
save file and load save game.

This should work, I cannot guarantee.
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Maybe I'll give that a go. Where would I look to access the saved files?

I suppose in the meantime, I could create a new profile and start again.

Wow - what a mansion!
09-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Save folders:
Windows: "My Documents/Amnesia/"
Linux: ".frictionalgames/Amnesia/"
Mac: "Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia/"

Then "Main/[username]"
09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Find
mtomato Offline

Threads: 0

You could always edit your save file and get the third cog in place that way.

Spoiler below!
In Win7/Vista the path to the save files is
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Amnesia\Main\USERNAME\

Open the latest save file with your preferred text editor and search for "cLuxScriptVar"
Try to find something that sounds like it has something to do with the cogs, and change its value from false (0) to true (1).

Warning: The script names contains spoilers.

I don't have a save file from the machine room area, so I can't check how accurate my instructions are.

bah...
I should remember to check if there are any new posts if the page has been open for a long time.

Why can't I delete my own posts?

Quote:You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:
  1. Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
  2. You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
  3. Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)

You are currently logged in with the username: 'mtomato'
09-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

(09-13-2010, 11:37 AM)Thomas Wrote: Save folders:
Windows: "My Documents/Amnesia/"
Linux: ".frictionalgames/Amnesia/"
Mac: "Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia/"

Then "Main/[username]"

OK, I'm trying that now, using TextEdit. Wow, there's a lot of text to look through, isn't there?
It didn't work. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Either way, it looks as though I'm going to have to start again.

Wow - what a mansion!
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM by Bulbatron.)
09-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Find