Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Random Thoughts About The Game (Spoilers)
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8
Random Thoughts About The Game (Spoilers)

Hmm, there were some stuff that I'm wondering about in the game that I might have missed the explanation of or just didn't fully understand, here goes...

1. In the Cistern, you have to climb to the platform that has a bridge connecting to the Control Room. Before you can do that, you have to access the ladder. There is a pipe protruding from the pillar of the platform, blocking the way down to the ladder. Who would put a pipe blocking the ladder from coming down there? What was the purpose? How did they use the ladder before if there was a pipe there all the time? Did the pipe just magically appear, or was it placed by a naughty monster to annoy us?

2. There are some doors that are barricaded and you can't go through them. Why were they barricaded, there are windows like that too? I don't think it reinforces the structure at all in any way, just like what they wanted to do in one of the flashbacks.

3. Do the monsters actually have some form of intelligence aside from their normal murderous ways? Later on in the game, when you enter the Chancel, you get ambushed by a bunch of monsters if you have completed collecting all of the orb pieces. You end up in a cell. That means they didn't rip you apart or eat you. When you regain consciousness in the cell, one monster's standing outside your cell, as if he was a guard who just locked you up, then leaves the room. Does Alexander have any form of control over them at all?

4. When I first started the game, I thought that the shadow was represented by all the scary and crazy things happening around us. I thought the monsters and the red organic matter were part of the shadow, or at least a manifestation of it. If Alexander has control over the monsters, then that means those things are not part of the shadow, which you both are trying to avoid right?

5. If the monsters are not part of the shadow, then how did they come to be? Are they undead like zombies? Are they reanimated corpses of victims of the fungi plague/poisoning? Why would they still seem to follow Alexander's orders?

6. In one of the letters, a worker for Professor Herbert escaped and seemed like he was attacked by a wild beast. When they checked their camp, everybody's already gone. This would mean that somehow, the shadow has a way of physically hurting people, but they could still get away from it, but what happened to everybody else at the camp? Why did they just disappear? Does the shadow have a body or a real form? Does it eat people? It is said that the shadow is very slow.

7. The water monsters or whatever they are called. How did they get transported to earth? I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, one letter mentions them being from another world, or was that just my imagination?

8. The red organic material, they don't seem to do anything except to pulsate, but why do they hurt us when we linger around near them for too long? According to one of Alexander's notes (or our flashback), he said that the shadow can cause the castle to weaken. Also, when he tried a ritual with the orb, those red organic material appeared, so he stopped the ritual. Does this mean that the real shadow are those red organic stuff?

9. Why is there a drum of boiling acid in the Kitchen of the Prison area? Some people might want a little sour flavoring in their food, but I don't think acid would be the answer.

10. Why are there skulls and bones inside a drawer?

12. Who lit all of those candles and torches in the other areas of the castle?

13. In the Chancel, are those bluegreen flames magical?

Anyway that's it from me for now, have fun answering lolSmile

09-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Find
Gamefan74 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Random Thoughts About The Game (Spoilers)

1. Maybe the ladder was just for use when the water level was higher.

2. Off the top of my head, since the castle is weak, maybe it was just their way of marking those areas as a hazard. Only reason I can think off, the lab that was boarded up seem fine to me.

3. I think they are Alexander's servants mostly because his reactions in the prison corridors kinda match the monsters, like when I escape from them, Alexander mentions that as well. That would also explain why he was spared and thrown into a prison cell.

4. Right. Now that I think of it, there was a scene in the Sewers where there was a grunt ripped apart with the walls covered with slime. Maybe the shadow got to it first and the shadow is known to go after accomplices of the orb holders.

5. You got me there. Maybe Alexander created them with all his occult stuff.

6. I think they did disappear, Alexander did.

7. The letter might've meant the water lurker seemed otherworldly, not necessarily from another world.

8. I think the Shadow is the red pulsating slime, or at least they grow near the shadow.

9. Could be a way of disposing of waste. Dissolved that pig real nice.

10. Alexander was studying anatomy in that room, probably just storing them in a convenient location for easy access.

11. What happened to 11?

12. Only thing I can think of would be the monsters lurking around. Only had a fire suddenly appear in front of me one time.

13. I would say there might be metals in the flame that cause them to glow that color, but after all the stuff I've seen, I'm ready to believe they're magical.
09-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Find
Adeno Offline

Number 11 is the mystery question, it's so mysterious you can't even find it lolBig Grin

09-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Find
thePyro13 Offline

Threads: 0

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: Hmm, there were some stuff that I'm wondering about in the game that I might have missed the explanation of or just didn't fully understand, here goes...

1. In the Cistern, you have to climb to the platform that has a bridge connecting to the Control Room. Before you can do that, you have to access the ladder. There is a pipe protruding from the pillar of the platform, blocking the way down to the ladder. Who would put a pipe blocking the ladder from coming down there? What was the purpose? How did they use the ladder before if there was a pipe there all the time? Did the pipe just magically appear, or was it placed by a naughty monster to annoy us?

I found this one strange, doesn't really make any sense if you look at it. Maybe the pipe was added at a later point. A lot of the machinery seems to have been added in a recent renovation.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 2. There are some doors that are barricaded and you can't go through them. Why were they barricaded, there are windows like that too? I don't think it reinforces the structure at all in any way, just like what they wanted to do in one of the flashbacks.

Mark areas that are no longer stable, possibly to keep Alexander's servants from wandering into areas he doesn't need them in. I remember one of the notes calling them pretty dumb.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 3. Do the monsters actually have some form of intelligence aside from their normal murderous ways? Later on in the game, when you enter the Chancel, you get ambushed by a bunch of monsters if you have completed collecting all of the orb pieces. You end up in a cell. That means they didn't rip you apart or eat you. When you regain consciousness in the cell, one monster's standing outside your cell, as if he was a guard who just locked you up, then leaves the room. Does Alexander have any form of control over them at all?

They are Alexander's servants I'm guessing he can exert more delicate control over them if he wants.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 4. When I first started the game, I thought that the shadow was represented by all the scary and crazy things happening around us. I thought the monsters and the red organic matter were part of the shadow, or at least a manifestation of it. If Alexander has control over the monsters, then that means those things are not part of the shadow, which you both are trying to avoid right?

Monsters are not part of the shadow. Red stuff is definitely part of the shadow. Mysterious breezes and sounds might be part of it.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 5. If the monsters are not part of the shadow, then how did they come to be? Are they undead like zombies? Are they reanimated corpses of victims of the fungi plague/poisoning? Why would they still seem to follow Alexander's orders?

Alexander created them from people. Looking though the chapter one design in super_secret.rar suggests that is exactly what he did to Wilhelm and his men.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 6. In one of the letters, a worker for Professor Herbert escaped and seemed like he was attacked by a wild beast. When they checked their camp, everybody's already gone. This would mean that somehow, the shadow has a way of physically hurting people, but they could still get away from it, but what happened to everybody else at the camp? Why did they just disappear? Does the shadow have a body or a real form? Does it eat people? It is said that the shadow is very slow.

That shadow gets faster as Daniel finds out more about what he has done. I think its to do with how guilty he feels.

I don't think it eats them, just kills them.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 7. The water monsters or whatever they are called. How did they get transported to earth? I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, one letter mentions them being from another world, or was that just my imagination?

They are from another world. Weyer sends them to Alex to help make the tonic for Agrippa. How he managed to send them is never mentioned.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 8. The red organic material, they don't seem to do anything except to pulsate, but why do they hurt us when we linger around near them for too long? According to one of Alexander's notes (or our flashback), he said that the shadow can cause the castle to weaken. Also, when he tried a ritual with the orb, those red organic material appeared, so he stopped the ritual. Does this mean that the real shadow are those red organic stuff?

Yes. Or at least the red stuff is the shadows physical component.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 9. Why is there a drum of boiling acid in the Kitchen of the Prison area? Some people might want a little sour flavoring in their food, but I don't think acid would be the answer.

Its the same acid as made in the laboratory. The notes found when you make the first acid suggest he may end up using it as a detergent or cleaner.

(09-14-2010, 01:22 AM)Adeno Wrote: 10. Why are there skulls and bones inside a drawer?

12. Who lit all of those candles and torches in the other areas of the castle?

13. In the Chancel, are those bluegreen flames magical?

10. Human bones are found just after the note where Alex states animals don't posses enough vitae. The note says he may have to start collecting it from humans. The bones imply, that's exactly what he ended up doing.

11. Maybe, its an interesting point. But the game didn't provide enough information to say for sure what this referred to.

12. Alexander and Daniel as they travelled through it recently, or Alex's servants.

13. Probably, based on what Alex is doing down there. Though its possible they could just be burning off a chemical.

NOTE: Yes I answered question 11. despite it not existing. I made up my own question, you'll have to figure out what the question is on your own. Tongue
09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Find
Klarden Offline

Threads: 3

About the shadow - i think it does consume orb holders... in a way. I think, it was called a "shadow" for a reason - orb shines brightly, the one holding it casts a shadow, a shadow that follows the holder. so, if it grows closer as Daniel guilty conscious grows heavier, it may in the end "consume" him. but from "normal"/outside point of view, he might just disappear

oh, and the ladder - logical explanation was already given. But given the fact, that not everything as what Daniel sees, maybe there was no pipe at all)
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Website Find
thePyro13 Offline

Another thing about the ladder, there were stairs that provided an alternate route up there. It seems the shadow destroyed them in its first incursion. Perhaps blocking the ladder would be ok, since the stairs went up there anyway?
09-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Find
Adeno Offline

(09-14-2010, 12:11 PM)thePyro13 Wrote: 11. Maybe, its an interesting point. But the game didn't provide enough information to say for sure what this referred to.

NOTE: Yes I answered question 11. despite it not existing. I made up my own question, you'll have to figure out what the question is on your own. Tongue

LOL! Ok then here's my actual question for #11...

Spoiler below!

11. For some odd reason, whenever I read one of those memory canisters, I get a feeling that Alexander's lost love is actually Weyer... is there any information that proves Alexander's "love" is a woman, and not a man like Weyer?

Big Grin

09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Find
thePyro13 Offline

LOL, it goes together with the answer perfectly. Big Grin
09-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Find