Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why did Daniel drink the Amnesia potion?
suibriel Offline

Threads: 3
Why did Daniel drink the Amnesia potion?

I finished the game a few days ago, and this might be a testament to my poor memory but, I've started a new game and I'm wondering, why did Daniel take the Amnesia potion in the first place?

If he was going to kill Alexander anyway, why didn't he just go and do it? Was he really only held back by all the things he had done in order to survive that he had to somehow forget those before he could kill Alexander?

Huh
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Find
Liag Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Why did Daniel drink the Amnesia potion?

Brutally murdering innocent children is probably something you would want to forget.
09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Find
Datenshi92 Offline

(09-14-2010, 10:06 AM)Liag Wrote: Brutally murdering innocent children is probably something you would want to forget.

*A bit of Spoilers*

Agreed, one thing is trying to save his life by murdering other murders and even that is bad, because we just become as bad as them.
Another is murdering innocent children.

*End of Spoilers*

Even though I got the feeling that Alexandre was lying about those people being murders and what not.
I think most of them were people taken from their homes or explorers with a very bad luck.
09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Find
suibriel Offline

Yes yes yes, we all know that.

But why did he do it BEFORE attempting to kill Alexander? Why did he need to forget those things BEFORE that? Why did he make the decision to lose his memory and then tell himself that he has to kill Alexander?

Couldn't he have just done the deed THEN taken the potion?
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Find
thePyro13 Offline

He said the things he had seen and done haunted him to much. The horror made him shake and made it hard to move.

Mostly, it sounds like he was in shock. He drank the amnesia potion to fight the shock. Otherwise, Alexander would be long gone before he was mentally capable of raising a weapon against him.
09-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Find
suibriel Offline

That's a decent explanation, I suppose. Though I think that could have been conveyed better in the diaries and such.

It probably was though
09-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Daniel killed innocent people to save himself. He says he'd die instead of innocent people; but he didn't. He believes he's a monster now, not any good than Alexander. To simply put this:

- He's afraid of himself.
- He's afraid of Shadow.
- He's afraid of Servants (Brute & Grunt)
- He's afraid of not finding enough courage to prevent things getting worse.
- He wants to be innocent again.

Solution: Forget about all these. You don't know who you are, you don't know about shadow, you don't know about servants, you don't know who is Alexander...
There yo go! Run for your life and kill Alexander.

09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Website Find
tacc Offline

Threads: 5

(09-14-2010, 10:48 AM)Datenshi92 Wrote: Even though I got the feeling that Alexandre was lying about those people being murders and what not.
I think most of them were people taken from their homes or explorers with a very bad luck.

I assume that's what the letter in the Wine Cellar wanted to tell you.
Spoiler below!
My name is Wilhelm, house of Gerich. These are my final words, my confession and testament. Two years ago I was summoned to the castle Brennenburg. [...]I was to kidnap healthy humans upon his slightest whim and do so without asking questions. [...]Ever since that day I've brought men, women, and children to Brennenburg. I can't remember the numbers, but there were many, perhaps even a hundred. None of whom were ever seen or heard from again.

(09-14-2010, 02:24 PM)suibriel Wrote: Though I think that could have been conveyed better in the diaries and such.

You mean like this?
Spoiler below!
[...]
Alexander, I will kill you for what you have done. If only the Shadow had caught me in London or Algeria I wouldn't have to suffer this humiliation. You made me a murderer, a monster!
And now, I merely await my death. I am too weak to press on. I can hardly stand as my knees fail me. I cannot see as my eyes are dressed in tears. I am as broken as the men I have tortured. If only I could wipe my fear away as we did with them.

(09-14-2010, 03:24 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Solution: Forget about all these. You don't know who you are, you don't know about shadow, you don't know about servants, you don't know who is Alexander...
There yo go! Run for your life and kill Alexander.
But don't forget to scatter you Diary everywhere to remind you of what you want to forget.
09-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Find
tzb Offline

Threads: 1

(09-14-2010, 06:31 PM)tacc Wrote: But don't forget to scatter you Diary everywhere to remind you of what you want to forget.

Actually one of the flashbacks (Guest Room I think?) reveals his diary was stolen at some point. I guess this implies that whoever took it scattered the pages, around the castle, in chronological order, neatly placed on various desks or tables.
09-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Find
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8

Very strange indeed. Why steal his journal, rip pages from it, and then put them at different locations? Was the responsible person (or monster) trying to give Daniel his guilt back so that he will lose the will to continue on his little quest?

09-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Find