Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update on the X-series bug?
Mandis Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Update on the X-series bug?

We were told that Thomas would get an ATI X-series graphics card sometime this week and test it to see what he can figure out, I'm just curious how that's going - does he have the card, is he testing, does he have any idea what's going on..

It'd be nice to know if this is going to be resolved any time soon or if I should just ask for my money back from Steam.
09-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Update on the X-series bug?

Afraid cannot give any timeframe as I cannot be sure that it is solvable. The cards will arrive tomorrow and then I will get straight on it. I have no idea how long it will take from that. Might be just an hour or several days.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2010, 05:12 PM by Thomas.)
09-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Find
masteredd Offline

Threads: 1

Thanks for the information.
At the moment this is my biggest wish (when I open my Outlook) to recieve an email from FrictionalGames with the good news, that my graphics-card-error is solved now Big Grin
Well, but I'm sure you'll get this fixed soon (or at least I hope so)
09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Find
GlaDOS Offline

I hope too, because I have got X1650 and same problem. If I turn off SSAO and ImageTrail (other settings I have on maximum), it works fine and doesn't lags. But still inventory, journal isn't working (game freeze). So I hope that you resolve this problem. I play Penumbra series (best games what I ever play) so I want play Amnesia too.
09-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Find
MikeT Offline

(09-14-2010, 05:12 PM)Thomas Wrote: Afraid cannot give any timeframe as I cannot be sure that it is solvable. The cards will arrive tomorrow and then I will get straight on it. I have no idea how long it will take from that. Might be just an hour or several days.

So you are expecting to either find the bug/find it unsolvable within several days?

What happens when/if the bug gets resolved, will it automatically update for me or will I have to do something.
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Find
Mandis Offline

(09-14-2010, 08:22 PM)MikeT Wrote:
(09-14-2010, 05:12 PM)Thomas Wrote: Afraid cannot give any timeframe as I cannot be sure that it is solvable. The cards will arrive tomorrow and then I will get straight on it. I have no idea how long it will take from that. Might be just an hour or several days.

So you are expecting to either find the bug/find it unsolvable within several days?

What happens when/if the bug gets resolved, will it automatically update for me or will I have to do something.
Depends on how you bought the game. If you bought it through Steam they should be able to just upload the fix and it'll be distributed, otherwise you'll likely have to download it off the site and apply it yourself.

I'm more concerned with the suggestion that they problem may be unsolvable. How do you launch a game with a problem that only affects a single series of graphics card, and in such a way that it makes the game completely unplayable? I mean, not everyone has the best graphics cards in the world, here.. was there any testing actually done?
09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Find
lordgalla Offline

Threads: 0

I hope this can be fixed/patched soon to,I have the X1950 Pro 512mb w/10.2 Drivers.Waiting to see what the outcome is,There's a lot of us out here still running this video card.It's far from dead yet.Run's a slew of other games just fine.Keep us posted.
09-15-2010, 05:34 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Yes, for a small team as we are I think extensive testing was done, beyond the regular testing (of using testers) we had two of these: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3656.html and to give example of inhouse testing I used 4 different computers (old computers, so this is not a problem caused by having "old" hardware) and a mix of Linux, Mac and Windows to test and Edward the Mac/Linux guru used 3 or 4 different computers as well. So honestly we did the best we could.
09-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Website Find
GlaDOS Offline

Mandis: As jens write, Frictional Games is small studio so they haven't got all series of GPU and lot of computers. They have got some basic OS and hardware. And it's possible that some series of GPU isn't work correctly. But if some series isn't work, they can get one this card and do testing. So I really hope, that they can do patch or fix or something like this. I believe Frictional Games. Maybe, they are small, but they make great games.
09-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Find
Mandis Offline

(09-15-2010, 08:56 AM)GlaDOS Wrote: Mandis: As jens write, Frictional Games is small studio so they haven't got all series of GPU and lot of computers. They have got some basic OS and hardware. And it's possible that some series of GPU isn't work correctly. But if some series isn't work, they can get one this card and do testing. So I really hope, that they can do patch or fix or something like this. I believe Frictional Games. Maybe, they are small, but they make great games.

Fine, it's perfectly understandable how something like this could have slipped under the radar. It doesn't make it any less frustrating. From what I've seen of their other games, they -do- make great games. I'd just like to be able to try them for myself.
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Find