Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Making monster disappear
membrain Offline

Threads: 4
Making monster disappear

Hi there,

I'm still playing Amnesia but there were several situations where I accidantly made the monsters disappear. Don't know if this is meant to work like that.

I did it just by sneaking through the dark, waiting for the next time a monster appears. I ran somewhere, jumped on a box or a table where the monster couldn't reach me and waited for it to disappear. Sometimes I even sat directly near a lit candle and the monster didn't see me. After a while lurking around the monster went outside the room (or wherever I was) and about half a minute later I went after it but it was ... gone?! I could make noises, throw things around and run around the place but most times the monster didn't reappear.
Did this happen to you, too or is it a glitch or what? I'm a bit confused because if I just had to wait for the monster to disappear and then continue playing it would really take much of that creepy atmosphere. :\

membrain
09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Find
CD Set Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Making monster disappear

I think this is part of the design. Not knowing when an enemy disappears also makes it hard to know when it will appear. There are a lot of randomly placed encounters too, I've heard.

I died in the prison once, and after "spawning" (in lack of a better term) the monster had disappeared. It appeared in a new location, walked away from me into a darkened corridor and before I knew it, ANOTHER monster had appeared in the hallway behind me, which kind of threw my perception off a bit. You can never really be sure when an enemy might or might not be where you think it is.
09-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Find
membrain Offline

Oh I see. Thought the places were scripted because there often happens something before a monster comes to you. For example when you solve riddles, after some of them a monster breaks through the door, etc. Expecially in the prison a monster appeared on the same place after I died.
But if you say monsters appear randomly I'm going to be more cautious. Thanks for answering.

membrain
09-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Find
SmokeSum Offline

Threads: 7

Notice that they did not enough work on the AI cause the AI of them is like the games where 5 years ago...

Really...if they made a good AI for them and made the monsters climb or have some sort of long stretchy arm or maybe a power to get you down from there when they see you on a object where they can't reach you by walking, that would made this game even more scarrier believe me!!!

I played many times with monsters and that made this game look very lame, like the makers of this game thought nobody ever would play with monsters... even when you don't look but the monster is 2 feet away he won't see you...really when i noticed that the real game was like a walk in the park.

Really a great tip for making part 2 above scary.....WORK ON THE MONSTERS AI PLZ!!!!
09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Find
membrain Offline

It's not the AI this thread is about, it's about how often (and where) monster appear.
I agree, that the AI isn't the best but those monsters are some weird living corpses. I don't expect them to be intelligent. I expect them only to be frightening and by having no weapons and beeing helpless when attacked they ARE frightening. Wink

By the way ... Long arms, climbing or something like that doesn't have to do anything with AI. AI means what the monster does when it hears a sound, when it sees you or when it looses track of you. It might be searching for you, sneaking around the place (sniffing for you). I bet THAT would be scary. Big Grin

membrain
09-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Find
SmokeSum Offline

Threads: 7

(09-15-2010, 08:50 PM)membrain Wrote: By the way ... Long arms, climbing or something like that doesn't have to do anything with AI. AI means what the monster does when it hears a sound, when it sees you or when it looses track of you. It might be searching for you, sneaking around the place (sniffing for you). I bet THAT would be scary. Big Grin

membrain
You right about the first thing cause the makers need to make this in the monster design what they didn't do, so they are to stupid to reach you when your on a table, and when on ground just run into a wall where is a little dark or very dark and duck and look to the wall till you don't hear monster anymore...the Boom Boom sound in music just keeps going till you look back and see he's gone....sometimes they are 2 feet away and i look a little to them while standing in the light but they won't attack....you still think these monsters are challenge???
Sorry but Dead Space was more scarrier for me cause monsters come from every direction scaring shit outa you and you can't escape them by simply jumping on something higher or watching to pretty walls...

I think this technic they made to just not look at them they won't attack you, made this game just 2 easy and made me think these monsters are dumber then a zombie in Left4Death...

AI sure has something to do with a monster that sees you but when you turn around and duck against a wall he is mysteriously lost sight at you....HE SAW ME DUCK AND HIDE IN THE LIGHT!!!! so that really is above stupid AI just try and see!! this game is easy and only scares a bit with sound the gameplay isn't scary at all, i'm glad i could not attack them cause they are stupid enough Wink
09-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Find