Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How did you find length of Amnesia?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Too short! No matter what the price would be.
7.16%
30 7.16%
Long enough. But only considering the $20 price.
32.22%
135 32.22%
Perfect! And I would think so even if it cost more.
59.67%
250 59.67%
Could have been shorter. I think events and stuff was too drawn out.
0.95%
4 0.95%
Too long. Takes up too much of my time.
0%
0 0%
Total 419 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think of the game's length?
Marclor Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What do you think of the game's length?

For 20$ (14€ for me) the game length is just perfect, I don't have much time to play and the way the action is built don't require to add more game time...

And with the general quality of the game, i could easily afford a price of 30$.
10-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Find
Black Rabbit Offline

in my humble opinion if a game is good you can never get enough and it's always sad when it ends...if people want more it means you guys (and I strongly believe this) did a great job once again! I am a huge fan of horror games and I always expect more of you people Smile keep it up and get the brainstorming coming Smile there are so many horror locations and legends you could use to make another masterpiece as usual I always wonder what is gonna be next...underwater facility? maybe something more dark and sinister? a house? a village of tormented souls? a hospital? a ghost ship maybe? anything you choose will be amazing I am sure...and I don't think you should worry about time...if the game is scary enough 10 hours could look like ages.even penumbra overture seemed so huge to me all because of the riddles and the horror
10-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Find
sanjosalt Offline

I think the $20US pricepoint reflects that the franchise it not *yet* at a AAA level. But the playability and quality *are* at the AAA level.

Sure of course, I'd love to see 50% or 100% more in terms in terms of play length, but for the price, the play length is a fair value. $20 is but one microtransaction in many games these days. So for me, the value of this title is unbelievable.

What strikes me most is the way Amnesia completely foregoes the norm of player-required armament. Yet it still feels combative in its own way, and is very satisfying for a player who wants to feel the rush of a battle scenario and 'defeat' things. Really, really brilliant design.

The environment and mechanics remind me very fondly of the Thief series, and that was a similarly successful franchise in its groundbreaking playstyle that is still being worked on (and copied!) today.

Excellent![/font]
10-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Find
Evil Ash Offline

For the pricepoint and the origin of the game, 6-10 hours is expected.

I believe I beat the game in about 5-6.

I don't think a games length should be a standalone factor. Whether or not it was TOO LONG or TOO SHORT depends on several other pieces of the game.

For example, was it TOO SHORT to fully explore the story? Was it TOO LONG, creating boring, needless, cheap-feeling gameplay?

In my opinion, the story/length/gameplay combo was pretty spot on. I mean, there's only three enemies, three characters, and one setting. I can't see it being longer than it is without being drawn out, too complicated, or needlessly repetitive.

One thing I loved most about Amnesia was I never got BORED. The environment and atmosphere was constantly changing, and keeping me involved.

I think the only reason to criticize the length would be if you wanted more - which is a good thing. Any great game will leave you wanting more - right at the peak of enjoyment. Quitting while it's ahead, so to speak.

So yes... the length was good.

[Image: revelationsig.png]
10-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Find
ruzen Offline

Threads: 2

Well I complete it in 7.5 hours (looked from steam). It could be more(about 1-2more hours) but it competed and told the story well. However the last stages of the game was not very intens enough.
But dont forget the incoming custom story(es). I cant even play the "Wake" map couse I am damn scaredBig Grin

Voted "Long enough. But only considering the $20 price."
10-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Find
Black Rabbit Offline

(10-05-2010, 02:56 AM)Evil Ash Wrote: For the pricepoint and the origin of the game, 6-10 hours is expected.

I believe I beat the game in about 5-6.

I don't think a games length should be a standalone factor. Whether or not it was TOO LONG or TOO SHORT depends on several other pieces of the game.

For example, was it TOO SHORT to fully explore the story? Was it TOO LONG, creating boring, needless, cheap-feeling gameplay?

In my opinion, the story/length/gameplay combo was pretty spot on. I mean, there's only three enemies, three characters, and one setting. I can't see it being longer than it is without being drawn out, too complicated, or needlessly repetitive.

One thing I loved most about Amnesia was I never got BORED. The environment and atmosphere was constantly changing, and keeping me involved.

I think the only reason to criticize the length would be if you wanted more - which is a good thing. Any great game will leave you wanting more - right at the peak of enjoyment. Quitting while it's ahead, so to speak.

So yes... the length was good.

Indeed. I mean many of the games have supposedly more gamelength but the gamelength is more like cinematics and things like that...in your game guys we could even participate in the flashback Big Grin I like that a lot Smile
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

(10-06-2010, 10:27 AM)Black Rabbit Wrote: in your game guys we could even participate in the flashback Big Grin I like that a lot Smile
Now that you mention it, I think it's a brilliant idea - on the Deus Ex 3 forums some people complain how in games (such as mass effect, which I think is great) that having a cutscene during the game not only breaks immersion but says to the player "Good job, you went where we wanted you to go, here's a cutscene.. why not have an achievement too"
10-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Find
martinstatic Offline

I thought that the length was perfect, but would like 'Custom Stories' released by Frictional Games.
By utilizing mainly the same textures and sound, I think that FG could release smaller spin-off titles at a cheap price for more quick horror fun.

Also, may I just say to FG that this game is a masterpiece. I am a HEAVY critic of modern games and have been seeing mediocre titles advertised the past 10 years that have not lived up to their promises, but Amnesia is the biggest surprise yet...a lot of work went into VERY basic fundamental aspects and techniques of horror that other games have been ignoring.

Well done guys, your work is appreciated Smile
10-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Find
sparqz Offline

I personally felt the games length was reflected well in what I payed, in fact I would have been willing to pay more, say 30-40$ for the experience. The game was rich and enjoying and no area really felt empty or unimportant. As was said by those above, if it was to long it would have dragged on. I have recommended Amnesia to all my friends and on my second play through Smile Its interesting to go through again with commentary and its what made me replay games like Portal as well.
10-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11

Personally the lenght of a game depend on the game itself. Amnesia have the right lenght, not too long, not too short.

If you would make it longer it would drag over and over the same formula, and may become boring after a while. What it count in a game like Amnesia is variety.

Amnesia have a good variety of situations and puzzles, not too hard to pass which is a good thing because didn't break the immersion.

Nowdays the games that are really short with almost no variety are FPS, Amnesia is a genre on its own so maybe the critics had a hard time to get into the concept.

Another thing overlooked is modding, sure you can create almost more of the same with the tools, but isn't a bad thing there are already good mods, the community just need time to grow and make more different stuff.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
10-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Find