Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Users of ATI X-series! Look here for DEMO fix
Tzajof Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Users of ATI X-series! Look here for DEMO fix

Awesome! Where I used to get the slowest framerate imaginable in the demo (think a frame every 1-2 seconds), I now get something quite reasonable that appears (so far) to be working fully. Smile

Shame it still doesn't run all too fast on my machine, but hey, this is certainly much better than before.

Radeon X550 on Windows 7.

EDIT: Actually, there does seem to be at least one problem. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the lighting flickers a LOT and isn't consistent. At first I thought it was normal light flicker from the candles, but then I found that the lighting actually changed as I moved around or turned my head, and would stop changing if I stood still. For example, if I stood in the right spot, the starting hallway would go really dark and not even the light from the windows onto the ground would appear. I took a quick look at a video of the demo and I'm fairly sure this isn't supposed to be happening. Tongue
09-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Find
Lasse. Offline

Threads: 0

(09-21-2010, 07:45 AM)Tzajof Wrote: Awesome! Where I used to get the slowest framerate imaginable in the demo (think a frame every 1-2 seconds), I now get something quite reasonable that appears (so far) to be working fully. Smile

Shame it still doesn't run all too fast on my machine, but hey, this is certainly much better than before.

Radeon X550 on Windows 7.

EDIT: Actually, there does seem to be at least one problem. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the lighting flickers a LOT and isn't consistent. At first I thought it was normal light flicker from the candles, but then I found that the lighting actually changed as I moved around or turned my head, and would stop changing if I stood still. For example, if I stood in the right spot, the starting hallway would go really dark and not even the light from the windows onto the ground would appear. I took a quick look at a video of the demo and I'm fairly sure this isn't supposed to be happening. Tongue
Do you have the latest driver for your card? AFAIK Catalyst 9.3 is the last driver that supports your card. If you don't have it, you could try updating http://www.guru3d.com/news/download-ati-...vistawin7/

Just scroll down to find the dl-links. Also, it's recommended to remove old drivers first, reboot, then install new ones and reboot again.

Smile
09-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Find
Tzajof Offline

Threads: 1

I've had Catalyst 10.2 installed for a while; I'm fairly sure it's not out of date. Tongue

I think about the only potential fix I haven't tried just yet is to reset the settings and reboot as mentioned in the Troubleshooting thread. I'll give that a try soon at least.
09-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Find
kenoxite Offline

Threads: 2

My card X600 Mobility. Latest drivers available are installed, etc.

- FPS speed FIXED (no more slideshows)

- Crosshair FIXED (it seems to be correctly aligned now -I can finally pick up those matches from the cupboard!)

- Lighting NOT FIXED (weird flickering has come back, check this video I just recorded)

(09-21-2010, 07:45 AM)Tzajof Wrote: EDIT: Actually, there does seem to be at least one problem. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the lighting flickers a LOT and isn't consistent. At first I thought it was normal light flicker from the candles, but then I found that the lighting actually changed as I moved around or turned my head, and would stop changing if I stood still. For example, if I stood in the right spot, the starting hallway would go really dark and not even the light from the windows onto the ground would appear. I took a quick look at a video of the demo and I'm fairly sure this isn't supposed to be happening. Tongue

You mean like this. It also happened in the main game.
09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Find
Lasse. Offline

Threads: 0

(09-21-2010, 08:59 AM)Tzajof Wrote: I've had Catalyst 10.2 installed for a while; I'm fairly sure it's not out of date. Tongue

I think about the only potential fix I haven't tried just yet is to reset the settings and reboot as mentioned in the Troubleshooting thread. I'll give that a try soon at least.
Hmmh, seems I was wrong about the supported cards then. Sorry! Tongue
09-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Regarding flickering lights bug:
I have a pretty good idea what it might be! Please stay tuned and I will add an update in a few hours for you all to test.
09-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Find
kenoxite Offline

Great Smile

10chars
09-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Updated the exe in first post, to test the flickering light fix do like this:

- Update the exe file.
- Run the game and turn it off.
- Go to "My DOcuments/Amnesia/MainDemo" and open main_settings.cfg
- Look for
OcclusionTestLights="true"
and change it to
OcclusionTestLights="false"

See if that helps.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2010, 03:45 PM by Thomas.)
09-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Find
kenoxite Offline

- I couldn't find any "OcclusionTestLights" option in my main_settings.cfg file. So I left it untouched.
- Started a new game.
- The flickering _still_ occurs.
- My graphic card crashed again when that first door is opened by the wind. VPU recover saved my day again. It didn't crash with the previous fixed exe.

All this is playing in windowed mode BTW. I don't dare to run it fullscreen until/if this is get fixed, as it forces me to do a computer reboot when the card crashes.
09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Find
mansarde Offline

Threads: 3

(09-21-2010, 02:11 PM)kenoxite Wrote: - I couldn't find any "OcclusionTestLights" option in my main_settings.cfg file. So I left it untouched.
- Started a new game.
- The flickering _still_ occurs.
- My graphic card crashed again when that first door is opened by the wind. VPU recover saved my day again. It didn't crash with the previous fixed exe.

All this is playing in windowed mode BTW. I don't dare to run it fullscreen until/if this is get fixed, as it forces me to do a computer reboot when the card crashes.

Did you first copy the .exe and THEN start the game once, exited again and THEN looked for the option?
My guess is that this entry is new and will only be generated if you start the game once AFTER the new fix.

Just be a Zombie and follow the instructions to the letter without thinking.^^
09-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Find