Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Just finished Amnesia and....
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2
RE: Just finished Amnesia and....

well, it is a video game. There are plenty of threads on the penumbra forums about how it fits emotionally, symbolically, and subconsciously into the narrative of Penumbra proper if you need that motivation to play what is functionally a puzzle map pack addon.
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

(06-09-2011, 11:36 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: well, it is a video game. There are plenty of threads on the penumbra forums about how it fits emotionally, symbolically, and subconsciously into the narrative of Penumbra proper if you need that motivation to play what is functionally a puzzle map pack addon.

Well I understand what its trying to do... it's just the fact that it doesn't seem to offer anything new to the table in terms of game play. I am halfway through it though so it will be finished...
06-11-2011, 02:33 AM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

You heared something wrong, when you say, that Black Plague is the best Penumbra game.
Overture is much better, deeper atmosphere, more puzzles and better story part.

You should always play games after row.
1. Overture
2. Black Plague
3. Requiem

Not other!
All three games have only one story in this order.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM by Googolplex.)
06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Find
Wertyl Offline

Threads: 0

just finished Amnesia! Amazing game, Seriously had to pause it several times cus My nerves couldn´t handle some parts ^^ and Now i Just bought the compleate Penumbra Collection! Gonna be sweet.
Frictional games makes awesome games!
07-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13

I bought Amnesia and the Penumbra Collection at the same time, and I played Amnesia first. I really wish that I had played it last.

Penumbra had its tense and scary moments - especially Black Plague - but it wasn't as scary as Amnesia to me. And overall, HPL1 is a great physics engine, but it did not work as well for me as HPL2 did in Amnesia. There were times where levers and cranks would not move unless I was standing in just the right spot, and there were a few instances of it glitching out pretty nicely. Granted, those glitches were the source of much humor when they appeared, but I was spoiled by Amnesia, I think. :p

Requiem was a nice break from standard puzzle games,, which mostly seem to consist of: Find random object B and combine it with random object A to create random event C that has no bearing on the enviorment. All of Frictioinal's games have puzzles which are nice because they make sense. None of this "You must win a chess game against a cheating computer before you can go through the unlocked door two feet away." crap that I hate so much.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
07-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

You will laugh, but HPL1 feels more realistic to me.
If you pick up objects, you will feel the gravity, or if you open a door, you will feel the weight.

In Amnesia you can pick up a chair for example and you feel nothing about gravity. There is no mass.

And in Amnesia are less puzzles using physics.
In Penumbra you can tinker with objects. This engine is older, but the physics feels more realistic to me.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM by Googolplex.)
07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I wouldn't laugh, that's really good feedback, important for Frictional to know for their new game to be careful how they can represent the weight of physics objects in the world better, so the player gets a good grasp of their solidity. It's a tough job since obviously mousing around with the object is far removed from the natural feedback of carrying big heavy things.
07-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

I like more overture than black plague... Overture's more adventurous, though.

listen to boards of canada
07-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Website Find
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13

(07-12-2011, 10:54 AM)Googolplex Wrote: You will laugh, but HPL1 feels more realistic to me.
If you pick up objects, you will feel the gravity, or if you open a door, you will feel the weight.

In Amnesia you can pick up a chair for example and you feel nothing about gravity. There is no mass.

And in Amnesia are less puzzles using physics.
In Penumbra you can tinker with objects. This engine is older, but the physics feels more realistic to me.

I know what you mean - I noticed that with both games. Picking up a chair and flinging it aside feels like you're doing it with your own two hands instead of a mouse. I just seemed to have fewer issues with HPL2. It acted up on occasion too, but not as often.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
07-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Some physics in Penumbra are hard to solve. But if you can not set an object in its right position, this is not an engine issue, it is to make the puzzles more fiddly.

I loved that in Penumbra.
07-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Find