Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Frictional Games Store vs Steam
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Frictional Games Store
58.62%
17 58.62%
Steam
41.38%
12 41.38%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

I want to buy from the Frictional Games Store but it seems to be a bad investment
Cookieeater Offline

Threads: 4
I want to buy from the Frictional Games Store but it seems to be a bad investment

As like some other people in this thread, I pirated the game. After seeing how great it was 1 hour in, I wanted to buy it to support the developers considering it's only a 5 man team and they're not financially stableAngel! Normally I would go and buy it at their official store to support the developers. So I check in their official store, and it turns out that you can't re download the game after you download it. Instead, it gives this option for 5 bucks to redownload it any time for 1 year. Obviously i'm torn between buying it on the Frictional Games store and buying it on Steam. If I get it on Steam, I get to redownload Amnesia any time I want which is great. But part of the profit goes to Steam as well so i'm torn by that. What should I choose?!Huh
09-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Find
dvow Offline

Threads: 1
RE: I want to buy from the Frictional Games Store but it seems to be a bad investment

I went with the distributor with the best quality and affordable service, and that is steam. Needing to pay extra to download the game again is not good business practice. As with most, they will buy from the best source, even if it's not from Frictional themselves. You are still supporting Frictional either way.
09-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: I want to buy from the Frictional Games Store but it seems to be a bad investment

(09-18-2010, 07:16 AM)Cookieeater Wrote: So I check in their official store, and it turns out that you can't re download the game after you download it.

Are you sure? Where did you see that? I'm pretty sure once you buy from FG store, you can download countless times unless you abuse it.

09-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Website Find
dvow Offline

Threads: 1

(09-18-2010, 08:44 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(09-18-2010, 07:16 AM)Cookieeater Wrote: So I check in their official store, and it turns out that you can't re download the game after you download it.

Are you sure? Where did you see that? I'm pretty sure once you buy from FG store, you can download countless times unless you abuse it.

It takes maybe 5 seconds to click STORE at the top of the page and check it out, you lazy bum.

https://store6.esellerate.net/store/eDS.htm costs extra.
09-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It costs extra to download from esellerate, but you can re-download as much as you like from us. It is like this because that is a demand esellerate have to host files.

But it really does not matter which store you get it from, obviously you should get it from the place you like to have the game the most. Personally, I would use Steam if it is an option when purchasing a game from a small developer.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2010, 10:25 AM by jens.)
09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Website Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

I have bought umpteen games from Direct2drive so have no idea about steam or anywhere else, but...
I'm sure Frictional could care less where you buy it - just buy it. It takes a lot of sales to pay investors, wages and rent plus make a profit so buy it at Friction Store, Steam or D2D or the other outlets but buy the game!... it's only $20.(or less)

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Find
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26

Yeaaaa ! steam rooocks ^^
09-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Find
Funsize Offline

Threads: 0

Well if you pirated it in the first place, you can still buy it from Frictional, and you are still giving them the money, I see no problem in re-downloading from a pirating site.
09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Find
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3

(09-18-2010, 07:16 AM)Cookieeater Wrote: As like some other people in this thread, I pirated the game. After seeing how great it was 1 hour in, I wanted to buy it to support the developers considering it's only a 5 man team and they're not financially stableAngel! Normally I would go and buy it at their official store to support the developers. So I check in their official store, and it turns out that you can't re download the game after you download it. Instead, it gives this option for 5 bucks to redownload it any time for 1 year. Obviously i'm torn between buying it on the Frictional Games store and buying it on Steam. If I get it on Steam, I get to redownload Amnesia any time I want which is great. But part of the profit goes to Steam as well so i'm torn by that. What should I choose?!Huh

Support the devs. Do the right thing. Go with what Jens advises.
(09-18-2010, 01:30 PM)Funsize Wrote: Well if you pirated it in the first place, you can still buy it from Frictional, and you are still giving them the money, I see no problem in re-downloading from a pirating site.
How many people really do that? What is wrong with backing up the files? Storage is cheap these days.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2010, 03:02 PM by Zanderat.)
09-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Find
Oblidor Offline

Threads: 2

(09-18-2010, 07:16 AM)Cookieeater Wrote: As like some other people in this thread, I pirated the game. After seeing how great it was 1 hour in, I wanted to buy it to support the developers considering it's only a 5 man team and they're not financially stableAngel!

Why did you pirate in the first place? The demo wasn't good enough for you?

Your reasoning apparently is:

Pirate the game -> Is the game good? -> yes -> Buy the game? -> Small company -> yes -> ok I pay

Does this mean that if it is a larger studio you wouldn't have paid? Do you think that people that make games don't need to buy food or pay for the rent?

It is due to people like you we have to suffer all the stupid DRM and copy protections.
09-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Find