Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

One thing that surprised me...
Jashin Offline

Threads: 2
One thing that surprised me...

There's full frontal nudity for men in this game.

Obviously it's far from titillating, being dead and all; and 95% of players will be straight men or gay women (maybe), on top of the fact that it's not meant to be seen in that light.

One question is why not women? Or did I just not notice? Undecided
09-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3
RE: One thing that surprised me...

(09-23-2010, 05:16 PM)Jashin Wrote: There's full frontal nudity for men in this game.

Obviously it's far from titillating, being dead and all; and 95% of players will be straight men or gay women (maybe), on top of the fact that it's not meant to be seen in that light.

One question is why not women? Or did I just not notice? Undecided

From a realism standpoint you're right, of course. From the perspective of horror, it drives home the fear that the (predominantly male) players have of their frailty and for some, their feelings of inadequacy.
09-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

Yeah, there have been notes mentioning the mutilation and torture of women and children...

I suppose it's possible that FG lacked the time to create a female model (either that, or they're sexist against men), and I suppose modeling dead, naked children would be WAY beyond any measure of good taste.

Maybe, since as you mention, the majority of players are probably male, they were afraid that rendering naked females would provide the wrong kind of stimulus. That is to say, NOT a feeling of horror.

09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Find
Klarden Offline

I didn't even notice that at first, so, i guess, it worked as intended. natural, for the game world i've become immersed in

Oh and, if didn't hear, children are always clothed and unkillable in games. You know, just like real life -_- And it's not the problem of dev's, it's the lack of problems they are aiming at when they decide things like that
Though i still remember a quote from Fallout Bible, where one of the dev's told about forced political correctness in game with: "you can push drugs to kids till they die of overdose and then blow their corpses up with dynamite in this game. And yet, you can't say "oriental"." Not word for word quote, of course
09-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Website Find
NGW Offline

Threads: 13

(09-23-2010, 07:42 PM)HamStar Wrote: Oh and, if didn't hear, children are always clothed and unkillable in games. You know, just like real life -_- And it's not the problem of dev's, it's the lack of problems they are aiming at when they decide things like that

There's games out there where you can kill kids, just for the record.

[Image: ngweyesigcopy.jpg]
09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Find
sinfultictac Offline

Threads: 1

Like previous poster said it has to with the fragility of the male ego. A lot of men believe they are invincible. Yet before you in the game is perfectly healthy males driven to insanity, Weakness and begging for death. It plays off the fear of humiliation and our perceptions of what is strong and weak.
09-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Find
superluser Offline

(09-23-2010, 10:25 PM)NGW Wrote: There's games out there where you can kill kids, just for the record.

The European version of Fallout 2 is not one of them. They specifically removed all children from the European release because the authorities objected to the possibility of players trying to kill them.
09-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

Most people in Europe are not uptight about male nudity as Americans (pretend to be) are.

Examples of ordinary public statues.
http://www.stripes.com/military-life/tra...-p-1.68522

http://www.backpackingmatt.com/friday-tr...-republic/

Italy is full of nude males statues.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Find
OO Agent Offline

Threads: 5

(09-24-2010, 04:49 PM)Jinix Wrote: Most people in Europe are not uptight about male nudity as Americans (pretend to be) are.

Being american i do agree with this statement. i think its alittle ridiculous, honestly. it the human body, we all have one (or so i'd hope) we just have one of two sets of parts. Its all government.
09-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

(09-24-2010, 04:56 PM)OO Agent Wrote: Its all government.

And over-reactive, uber-religious mothers.

09-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Find