Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 3.39 Average
Black Forest Castle V2.1 (micro update!)
theDARKW0LF Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Black Forest Castle V2 (Now Available - Updated)

(04-10-2011, 10:43 PM)Heka Wrote: This was the first custom story I have played and I can say it was way scarier than offical maps Big Grin Tho I got outside the map area and got stuck therefore I have to restart the whole map coz there arent checkpoints and I have to save when quitting.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/heka_fof picture of it here

Also one problem:
Spoiler below!
I found the crowbar and the zombie destroyed the door which was mentioned in te joyrnal. So where I have to use the crowbar, cant figure it out :/

I see. You must've jumped over an invisible barrier I created. Haha, maybe I didn't raise it high enough! I'll check that out.

There are checkpoints, however, but they only activate if you die - that's the point of them. You got stuck at one point because you couldn't figure out where to use the crowbar. You simply need to use it
Spoiler below!
on the cellar door that locked behind you when you first entered the cellar

Glad you are enjoying my map! I'll let you know if that's the problem and I'll upload it again with a fix so you can continue.

Check out my custom stories(1)(2)!
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM by theDARKW0LF.)
04-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Find
DominusVita Offline

Threads: 4

That was a very impressive custom story, it feels very strongly directed to the classical gothic themes from the general atmosphere I experienced. Which is why I enjoyed it :p Well done :-)
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2011, 12:04 AM by DominusVita.)
04-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Find
theDARKW0LF Offline

Threads: 17

(04-12-2011, 12:03 AM)DominusVita Wrote: That was a very impressive custom story, it feels very strongly directed to the classical gothic themes from the general atmosphere I experienced. Which is why I enjoyed it :p Well done :-)

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Check out my custom stories(1)(2)!
04-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Find
Tewzr Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Black Forest Castle (WIP)

So... I played this for 30 minutes or so.. Enjoyed it really much.
Then I pressed Save & Exit from the menu and when I tried to continue, I couldn't.
Can't I save how far I've got in the custom stories?
If so, that sucks ;_;. Is there a way to continue from my last save?
07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Find
Tewzr Offline

RE: Black Forest Castle (WIP)

So I started over but now I'm stuck at the door that leads to South Wing.
I have no idea how to open that door. I've searched the places twice or so.

07-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Find
Tenno Offline

Excellent custom story! Some of the best scares I have ever had the dread of experiencing Tongue

Spoiler below!
My personal favorites were the falling suit of armor, the grunt bursting through the closet and the door slamming as I approached the chest.

Almost every scare managed to terrify me, making the story one hell of an experience Big Grin

The atmosphere and design of the castle was brilliant and I was constantly on the edge of my seat.

Solid story and I wish you all the best with Project Detective which I'm sure will be a wonderful gem just like this Smile

[Image: 29069he.gif]
07-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Find
Tewzr Offline

I posted a playthrough of the game on youtube!

Here is the part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_LYaccEbpA

Posting part 2 today.
07-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Find
AlexxShadenk777 Offline

Threads: 5

Allow me to get my notes out of the way first.

1 - Why start the game with full oil but no latern? I think it's more logical to start with 0 oil, and get the lantern with full oil. Or half.

2 - Somehow 'wine-stained key' sounds ridiculous to me.

3 - Femur in a drawer, and full body parts in a desk cupboard... just seems funny to me to put body parts like this in such places, without being insanity effects.

4 - Haha, I liked how 'my' ears were ringing when the door slammed open. That was pretty creative.

5 - Some doors make no sound when you unlock them.

Finally, a proper review. I can't say I particularly liked your custom story. The level design was really good, I especially liked how you implemented going outside briefly in the fog to go into a smaller area, but that's about it. Your game progression has too many keys for such a short playthrough, way too predictable scares, and the way doors locked behind me became predictable fast.

Overall there's no pacing and no surprises, there's just so little creativity in the horror aspect. You seem to know how to give a scare, but have no sense of timing and atmosphere, and there's just no dread build-up when I am completely sure when to expect a monster around the corner; this makes it just a sneaking game, rather than a horror game. Pacing is important, and when you chuck everything at the player in such frequency, it falls apart.

But again I must say, I really liked the level design, and you pretty much reinforced the sneaking factor when the only way to progress is to wait for a monster to destroy the locked door ahead.
07-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Find
slm11603 Offline

Ok I have to agree with a few flaws noted in a few of ohe ppls reply but all in all I liked your demo. I liked the little key find part with the small key chest key and so on but it wouldve been a little better spread out a little, in that short little area it seemed a little tedious although there was something a bit intriguing bout it just needs to be done a lil differently.I also believe there was a little too much being round the monsters in 2 parts(door breakin guys)The 1 right after u grab the oil was a lil cool the way he jus kinda comes to where I was standin (had it happened to me for real , bowel control would not have been an option)but then u gotta just sit there an wait for him to finally decide to break the door if u could shorten up their screen time, so to speak, I think their presence would be a little more tolerable. Dont get me wrong u definitely had a cpl of high points such as the chase that happens before u go back inside and I can tell u take your time making your rooms and such I like the attention to detail on things like the lil wine table outside the wine area and other little things that most wouldnt notice as much but ultimately made for some cool lvl design. Im guessing since this isnt the finished version that why there wasnt much of a story(well no story at all basically) so I cant wait to see what u come up with. Good job all in all and cant wait to try the finished version. Thanks for takin the time to make this for all of us! Smile
08-06-2011, 02:50 AM
Find
jiggymaster24 Offline

Thumbs Up  RE: Black Forest Castle V2 (Now Available - Updated)

Wow great custom story man. Compared to the others i played yours has to be by far the best. I played the V2 one. I know your running to escape but if you threw some notes down to show how the character progressed into running out. Also I'm not a fan of the ending while it was an interesting twist not seen in many custom stories. However great job i wish you could expand on this one a bit more though. The environment and lighting was great thumbs up man. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011, 12:48 AM by jiggymaster24.)
08-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Find